Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's all in how you see the world ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zorch, Mar 24, 2009.

1. zorch

zorch

This is the cover of the August 31, 1968 issue of the Tornoto Star sunday magazine. The wall of vintage shorts is propoganda for hippie tree huggers. You're supposed to look at the hideous old cars against the backdrop of the unspoiled grand mountains behind them and feel horror for the tragic excesses our wasteful society leaves like a scar on the land.

My chapped Irish ass. I'd rather see that wall of cars than a hundred Whole Foods stores or Urban Outfitters. And in 68 I'd rather have seen that wall of cars than a hundred Jeans West stores. But that's just me.

Of course, you could just blow off the intended political overtones and enjoy it as an old picture of a (probably) long gone place of magic and dreams. :D

Attached Files:

2. thats one way to build a wall! cooler than the great wall of china, the berlin wall, the isriallies wall.........

3. rick finch

rick finch

Look at the Austins..........Gasser heaven not realized!:mad:

4. [​IMG]

It's like a gear head Mount Rushmore---

Oh beautiful for stacks of cars
    with missing window panes.
    For patina laiden project cars
    with rattling rods and mains.:eek:

5. rick finch

rick finch

That's down right beautiful, brings a tear to my eyes!:D

6. zorch

zorch

Speedwagen, you got a beautiful way with words, (sniff) just beautiful, (snuffle) So inspiring ...

7. 3 early 50's pontiacs sitting in that pile. hmm which project would be first, build the 50's delivery as a push truck for the 36...

s.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like a 33-34 Ford firewall under that red car.

9. I guess that makes me a rusty car hugger :D

I guess in '68 that was just a pile of mostly 15 to 25 year old cars and probably would have been an eye sore to all but a very few die hard rodders. A stack of Reliant's and Chevette's with a couple of Nova's and an ElComino on top wouldn't appeal to many of us today. I'm not knocking the pic, I think it's oddly beautiful. I love the juxtaposition of the mechanical world and the natural world and I think it's interesting that they both seem to posses the same basic rugged beauty. (I doughty seriously this was the artist’s intent with this photograph.) And I'm sure not taking up for tree huggers, hippies or any other busy body "activists." I'm just commenting on the passing scene

10. Looks like a decent '36 Ford next to the Hillman Minx. Even has the bugeye headlights.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the two A40 Devon's sold it for me, then the 36 then............
    UGH, damn hippies! If they wanted to save something worth wile theres a wall of them right there! Trees don't make HP!
    Doc.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a horrible pic. Why would you post that? Not only does it spoil the intended view it really does say things about excess. I mean really...you're the kind of guy that posts pics of euthenized greyhounds on dog sights. The camera should have been lowered so all that excess mountain range didn't distract.