Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods It's alive!!!! Well...Sort of...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OlSchoolCruizin, May 16, 2014.

1. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Some of you may have seen that I recently acquired a 53 Merc. I have gone through nearly everything and was hoping that todays installation of a new gas tank and fuel pump were going to have me cruisin down the road with not much to worry about. I now notice the old teapot has a leaky gasket on the upper portion. I'm not sure if I should replace it with something else or hunt down someone in the area that can rebuild it. I have heard mixed opinions on these carbs. Some say they are great, some say they are a fire hazard. Either way, a leaky carb is no good. What are some of your thoughts/ recommendations. Everything else is stock so I hesitate to change. On the other hand, I've thrown quite a bit of dough at this thing recently and have to take it easy. Thanks in advance.

2. You could replace it with a later carburetor and send that one off and have it rebuilt.

With a replacement carburetor you could start enjoying that good looking car instead of it being a piece of static art! HRP