Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Its alive! AV8 Roadster engine start up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by walter, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Wow, I don't think I've seen another build thread with as much attention to detail as this. I'm floored.

2. walter

walter

I appreciate all of the complements! It is humbling to receive such comments from guys that also have very fine hot rods. I have been involved in all aspects of the car hobby but this build has been the most fun and I think it really is do to the people on the HAMB as well as the traditional culture.
    Thanks again and I will try to keep you updated until it goes on the road.
    Walter

3. walter

walter

UDATE!! Nothing very exciting to report. I thing I am in the Rube Goldberg stage of the build. After taking the first drive up the street three major Gremlins showed up. One was my Ammeter went up in smoke ( had it wire correctly the first time then second guessed myself and listened to a friend), second was mechanical temp gauge didn't work, and gas shut off valve started leaking. I thought all 3 would be an easy fix! WRONG! Sent temp gauge and Ammeter in to get repaired and that took six weeks to get back. During that time I did get the gas leak fixed and rewired Generator. I received the gauges and installed the Temp gauge, and a new parts store ammeter. Fired it up everything worked great. Installed my spare Ammeter worked great, reinstalled my NOS Ammeter and smoked it. Going to send it back tomorrow. Called Universal Tire to check on the Dunlop's I ordered six months ago and found out they would not be available until December so I ordered some Avion's. I would really like to drive and get motor dialed in so I can make arrangements with the Upholstery shop. I hope to have more accomplished soon Spring is coming!!

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very Nice!!!!!

5. walter

walter

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456024986.421484.jpg

Well I did get a little done. Had a local Wichita pinstripe hand paint the pin stripes on the wheels as well as accent the lettering in the caps. Very happy with her work.

Jeff34 likes this.
  6. sweeet

7. Looks great Walter. Those are Avon tires? Are they radials, they look like it. What size are they?

8. walter

walter

REARS ARE NEW Dunlap and fronts are old Dunlap. I have been trying to buy new front Dunlap's but will not be available for maybe up to a year. They are imported from England. I just received a new set of Avon fronts 5:00 16" . It took about three months to get them. They are Bias Ply but I like them because they are almost perfectly balanced when they are mounted and they are speed rated.
    Thanks
    Walter

9. walter

walter

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456896107.360609.jpg
    Home made alignment machine. Worked like a dream. New front tires. I need to synch down some chassis parts and cotter pin and ready for a drive!!

10. Daniel Goldman

Daniel Goldman

That's a good idea. Did you just build it off the rear tires?

11. walter

walter

It is an adjustable gauge to set the toe in. I use it in the front and then slide it under back until I get the reading that I want.

12. walter

walter

The day finally came! Yesterday I finished checking the suspension bolts and installed cotter pins where necessary. I couldn't stand it a minute longer. I checked the list and everything was done mechanically except cosmetics. I crawled in the cockpit and the flat motor fired on the first stroke. I thought ok I will see if will drive up to the gas station (about one mile). Pulled into the street felt great. Filled with gas and was going to go home but I turned the other direction. Twenty eight miles later put the Hot Rod back in the shed. I have had the privilege to drive a lot of cool vehicles from Hot Rods to big trucks but this little car is FUN!! The motor is a little FUSSY but feels like it makes good power. Brakes , Steering, and suspension all feel spot on. Thanks for letting me hang out on the HAMB!
    Walter

IowaMercMan, slv63 and Jeff34 like this.
  13. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

That's awesome man. I'm jealous. Congrats.

14. walter

walter

Thanks Hot Rod 50..

15. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

You Have one beautiful Hot Rod!!! Well Done!! Sure would like to see in person.. Could you bring it down to Lone Star?? Road Trip?? Thanks for sharing your build..

16. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Congratulations Walter.

17. Jeff34

Jeff34

Awesome work and beautiful roadster, Walter! Now get out there and DRIVE!!!!!!

18. walter

walter

Next year for the Lone Star!! I want to get the top and interior finished before I venture very far from home. I hope to have it so I can hit a couple of TRADITIONAL Shows this fall.

19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Awesome! Hope to see it Austin next month

20. garystra

garystra
    from Australia

Hi Walter. I have been following your build from here in Aus. It has been an inspiration and reference point for my son and my 28 hi boy which is almost ready for paint. It is a traditional build with 53 Merc, 39 tranny, Halbrand etc etc. If if it turns out anything like yours we will be very pleased. You have good taste in hot rods!!!!

21. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

You have one fine machine sir! I'm looking to seeing the interior. What did you use for the license plate light?

22. 51box

51box
    from MA

Great job, stepping back and looking at that car must make you damn proud.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Total attention to detail brought this black roadster to perfection.
    Unending wood work and metal graced with an ebony shine rivals the former Hot Rod Magazine feature cars thru the late '40s and '50s, from the classic headlight/shock brackets/tie bar to the '39 taillights and center mounted license plate.
    Engine detail 'back grounded in red' is superb.

I'll use this long thread for a textbook example to the young bloods that drop by here for 'guidance and advice'.
    Can't wait for the top and interior...'Oxblood' Naugahyde, perhaps?

24. walter

walter

Thanks guys for the kind words! The license plate light is an old Western Auto accessory item. I got from a guy on the HAMB. It was nickel plated so I sent it and had it redone. Sorry I am so slow at getting it built but I am really enjoying the build and making certain everything is correct and in the best mechanical condition as I can make it. It also seems to take a lot of research to achieve the best out come. I should have the hood ready to install by the weekend. Once that is done I will refit the top irons and then contact my upholstery guy. Interior will be stressed dark brown leather with a black top. Thanks again! Best Hot Rod Club in the country!!

25. walter

walter

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462247435.131474.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462247449.203949.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462247463.627639.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462247475.500195.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462247485.155284.jpg
    It's been awhile since an update. Yard work has been getting in the way. I did get the hood painted. I cheated and had a great local painter spray it. My drive way paint booth is closed. I just spent hours color sanding and polishing. Now if I get some time maybe I will get the hardware installed and put on the car.
    Thanks for watching!
    Walter

Jeff34, waxhead and bct like this.
  26. walter

walter

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462507344.695905.jpg
    Hood top fits. Just not certain how I am going to get to where the nuts go on to the Hood clamp under the dash. . I just don't bend like I did 20 years ago!

27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yeah, those nuts are a pain in the arse to install. Good luck

28. FlatJan

FlatJan

holy cow that´s a nice car..anymore vid´s of that roaring flatty???
    btw: whats your taillight mounting specs?

29. walter

walter

Taillights are 39 ford. Thanks for the complement. There is another video coming