Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Yes, it's a '56 Ford!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1stGrumpy, Sep 26, 2020.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jim, it is great news about Mike and Cindy finally being able to move to the Natural State!

drdave, 1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  2. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

It will make a cool car? It is already a cool car.

1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  3. Duncan, yes it is. We've been looking forward to this for a long time...

loudbang likes this.
  4. Thanks...

loudbang likes this.
  5. Glad to hear you are making some progress Jim. Hope to catch up with you soon and check it out.

loudbang and 1stGrumpy like this.
  6. I am hoping to take it to Dewey next month.

drdave, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  7. As promised, here's a few current pictures...
    59.JPG

Surprise! This is what I found when I removed the cruiser skirts. Got to get a little paint and hopefully match what's already on there...
    60.JPG

This side isn't quite as bad but you can still see two different shades of yellow...
    61.JPG

And here's a shot of the interior.
    New interior items are Newport electric windshield wipers, Vintage Air Heat Cool Defrost unit, stereo system, new carpet, new glass and door panels were repaired.
    62.JPG

8. Loos Good Jim. Everyone loves a little surprise now and then. Hopefully you can come up with a decent match for the yellow!

Big mike 1968, 1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  9. Thanks Dave.

loudbang likes this.
  10. The other day or maybe it was a week ago, I decided to take dash back apart and will be replacing the original gauges (gas, water temp & idiot lights) with 2 - 1/16" Stewart Warner Deluxe series (gas, water temp, amp & oil pressure) but retaining the original speedometer. I'm just waiting for the gas gauge to show up and then I will post pic's.

11. Here's the gauge cluster with the Stewart Warner gauges... 63.JPG

12. The back side... 64.JPG

Got the Oil Pressure and Water Temp sending unit's in and all that's left to do is install the cluster and hook everything up.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Nice and neat wiring, good work. :)

drdave and Big mike 1968 like this.
  14. Thank you...

15. cabong

cabong

Very cool..... Git in, play tunes that only require 1 speaker, listen to that bitch'n Y-Block sing.... Life is good, my friend, life is good !!!

drdave, 1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Good changes. IMHO it looks much better “skirtless”. Gauges look more hot roddy too. Don’t worry about matching that primer, when you going to paint it? I still say it needs a nice maroon metallic with gold scallops . Looking good!

chryslerfan55, 1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just went back to the early pages and saw where you said it has a 312. Is that documented? Every Y block in a ‘55 “was” a 292 and in ‘56 everyone “was” a 312! LOL

jimmy six, drdave and loudbang like this.
  18. Someday!

drdave and loudbang like this.
  19. Yep!

drdave and loudbang like this.
  20. Update...
    Lately I haven't done much of anything to the '56 other than drive it! Back in September, I chased @drdave's Lavender Lady up to Dewey, OK. for the Stray Kats "Lead Ain't Dead" show. That was the first real test for it and I was really happy with the way it performed. We ran between 70 & 75 most of the way and it averaged 17 mpg, pretty good I think for a 312 Y-block! Didn't burn any oil and never overheated but I did have to add some transmission fluid. It never slipped and it shifted o.k. but it'll need to be resealed fairly soon.

72.jpg 79.jpg

I have since attended a few local car shows and made a couple of cruise nights both in Russellville & Ft. Smith and have a few more coming up in the next few weeks.

81.jpg

All in all, it's done well and I've been very happy with it...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  21. Photo I took at Lead Ain't Dead.
    20210911_110303.jpg

22. Very kool, thanks for posting it Sancho!

23. You bet! It's such a cool car.

guthriesmith, loudbang and 1stGrumpy like this.
  24. Thank you.

Sancho and loudbang like this.
  25. Sure ran great to Dewey and back! Hopefully mine will next time. Haha!!

26. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

That thing sure looks nice and clean. Hope to see it up close sometime soon.

loudbang, 1stGrumpy and guthriesmith like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

What happened to the skirts? They off the list now? :rolleyes:

28. Yep! They're long gone...

loudbang and Mark Yac like this.
  29. Well, it's been awhile since I last posted any updates and that's because I haven't been doing anything to it, I've been spending most of my time working on my grandsons El Camino.
    Last week I did manage to get the transmission out and get it resealed, replaced the battery and tended to a few more loose bolts. Sorry, but that was it!

Sancho, drdave, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  30. I think you are making more progress than me! LOL I'm down to one running, driving car....the T-Bird. pulled a cut out pipe off the Chevy on a new speed bump and have to weld it up, the Merc has apparently jumped time and waiting for a new timing set and the A, well...... lol