Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's 1964. How do you hot rod a truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by conormulroney, Mar 20, 2014.

1. conormulroney

conormulroney

It's 1964 and you are a young guy with just a little money. You are given Dad's black truck; a ten year old Ford. Grandma just wrecked her brand new Impala, so you snag the 327. What would a hot truck look like?

I kinda missed this era because I was only 2. Hot rods in my youth had shackles and air shocks; 10 inch Cragars and raised white letters; and a CB whip antennae. My friends were driving Mopars, Mustangs and Mercury's. Me, I was stuck driving a Morgan, a Lotus, a Triumph or a Morris Mini. So what do I know?

Here is what I'm working with. Opinions are very welcome:)

Attached Files:

2. Good one.....I was 16 in '64 and had 2, 50 ford 2 doors, a 41 tudor sedan and a 56 olds convertible.
    A 54 F-100 would have had the original axle under the front. If you had a wad of cash you might have a dropped axle stretched but they were few and far between where I lived.
    The original rear axle would have had to suffice although the last one I built, I used a free 66 lincoln 9 and 3/8ths axle....a good choice but a 57 and newer pickup 9 inch would be better.
    Chrome wheels or Radirs would be really nice but original wheels with 56 Holiday caps or maybe a set of 14 inch imperial wheels with lancer flipper caps would be more common in '64....medium width whitewalls too.
    10 year old paint may buff up ok for a daily driver or a cheap repaint of your favorite color. We didn't worry much about paint in '64 as long as the car/truck was all one color.
    It had to be CLEAN! Lotsa elbow grease to get that sucker clean and if the paint would take it, a hand-rub with Dupont #7 rubbing compound and a wax job. Dual exhaust could be bent up at the local muffler ahop with a pair of glasspacs and if there was any money left, a pair of chrome tips.
    Had to cut the shifter handle down if a 4 speed or invest heavily for an aftermarket [Almquist from JC Whitney] shifter if it was a 3 speed. If it was a rare fordamatic, we wouldn't even be seen driving it...no automatics [peanut better drive we called them] in our hotrods.
    That was about it where I came from.
    Oh yeah.....removed emblems with primer spots [black primer] was ok too.

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

You would most likely use Hurst mounts and granny trans on an angle iron crossmember.
    A floor shift on the trans and duel exh. using stock manifolds and glass packs. The radiator would be modified to fit a Chevrolet and flex hoses used. Grannies driveshaft would be mated to the trucks shaft. When you got tired of the stump puller rear ratio you would change it out for something else.Wiring would be patched in to make it work. Done in a long weekend. And burning rubber.

4. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

How rich were you?

You didn't lower dad's truck, or yours either, you needed a truck to haul shit back then.

A little chrome where you could afford it. (very little)

Truth be known, back in '64. Red wheels, white walls (your choice of width), and baby moons covered maybe 95% of the pickups in the Midwest.

Mag wheels were almost never-ever seen on pickups. If you were rich enough to afford mag wheels you were rich enough to own a car.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Pick up some 1964 hot rod magazines next time you go to an old car event if you want the authentic info.

6. conormulroney

conormulroney

Thanks for all the good replies. Man, it looks like I'm half way there. Shine it up, throw a floor shifter on the 3 speed, the V8 in the front and shit in the back.