Register now to get rid of these ads!

Its 1946......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Aug 7, 2010.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Imagine its the late 40s. You've got home from the war, spent some time recuperating and then one day your mother in law calls you up and asks if you want her husband's old Ford as he never go back in '39. You go around there and see this. She says she would like to see it remain pretty complete but to make it your own.

Your mind starts to fly, you want to hot rod it, stick to the old lady's wishes too. But what to do and where to start????????

[​IMG]

2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

So, what are your plans for it?

3. I would be very grateful and do my very best to adhere to her wishes, and you will find a way to make it your own,.........I'd bet on it !

firstnomad
    www.angelfire.com/jazz/flatlandstudio

4. solid

solid

Theres alot of wiggle room between staying"pretty much complete" and "making your own"...reversed eye springs,hot flathead under the hood, as big a firestone you can get in the back with the fenders. See wiggle room;)

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wiggle away sir!

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

just listen to the "make it your own" part.....

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a few ideas how I want to go on this build guys, just looking for some input from others. Only been into cars for 3 or so years so much I know nothing about, hence the roundabout way of asking the question. "What would you do?" :)

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

oh man, just into cars??? you are LUCKY! that is a great car. just pleeeaaase take your time and do it right! that car deserves it!!

9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah it will be done right mate. :) The current plan is below, any other suggestions?

Need another car though as nothing will happen to this one that cant be undone ;)

10. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

pete,get it running,drop it,leave the body alone.some cars are just to good to mess with,thats basically what i did with my 33 phaeton,you get use to people asking when is it going to be finished.
    to satisfy my inner hotrod,i've got a fairly rough 34 5 window that won't have the same constraints.
    just my opinion,cheers thommo.

11. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

They are only original once...and as much as i love them chopped, I would probably never do it to something that close to stock. Bolt on brake upgrade, dropped axles, around a 51 flathead. I think most of us could do that without too much guilt.

12. noboD

noboD

If it runs and drives I'd be happy the way it is.

13. brady1929

brady1929

14. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

in 1946... in California... a coupe wasn't exactly considered a "hot rod" ....

Roadsters were all anyone was concerned with... a car like that would have been left mostly as it is... the motor may have a little bit of work done to it... but likely not alot of money spent... I don't think they would have had alot of tire rake or much lowering...
    think of it more as a tow car to get your "hot" roadster to the lakes....

So if you really want to stick to a certain time period... then you have to decide what area of the USA you want it to have been from...
    in areas where it gets COLD in the winter... or where theres more rain... it might be a bit more authentic...

I'd leave it mostly alone... clean it up... find a "period" dual carb intake... maybe a different cam... just mildly hop it up and GO!

good luck!
    Zach

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clean it up and drive it . Some speed goodies for the flatie.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Party Pooper!!!

I would fit it with a 59ab Flatty with a Merc crank and a 3x2 intake, '40 Ford wheels painted cream white with 6.5" wide cheater slicks out back and 5.50's or 6.00's up front, dropped axle done by Jordan Graham with reversed eyes, take a few springs out of the back and clean everything up. Run it like and early drag car in 1953!!!!

17. Big & littles on stock wires, dropped front axle, warm up the engine, clean her up and have a ball! :cool:

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Or you could do something like this which I believe would have run on the lakes in the late 40's or early 50's. It's in the Birth Of Hot Rodding book. Hate to see you lose those fenders....wait you're in Australia don't you need fenders?

[​IMG]

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They are only original once? YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!! If you want to chop that fucking car then do it, I'm sure the Henry Ford Museum will have one on hand for a long long time.

20. And just how old is she? Think you will out live her? I'd grant her wishes and do what ever after she passes....

21. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Pete, I really like your new car. Whatever you do with it will be fun.

22. Koooooooooooooool car

23. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man that rates as one of the all time groovy car scores , K.I.S.S. principle it and enjoy it

24. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Your best bet would be to leave it on the trailer, bring it over to my place. We'll unload it, and I'll be happy to give you a Crosley HotShot in trade (plus I'll buy your gas). Obviously you need to wait at least 15 years before you get started on building a hot rod...but I don't, so hurry up and get over here.

dj

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

When I made my quick answer last night, I didn't realize you were that new to this game! Suhrsc on the last page made a comment that I have said many times, and those that don't know their history have called me a "know it all ***hole" for saying it. But, it's true, in the time frame you've given, in Southern California, your car probably would have just been transportation. SCTA didn't time any thing but roadsters until '48 I believe. So, that in mind, I would look at building an early fifties kinda car. That gives you a pretty broad choice of stuff to do. Let's call it '51! Flathead was still king, so lets put together something nice based on 59A type block. I like stuff to drive, not look at, so it would have two 97s or three 97s on a progressive linkage ( probably the former, more authentic). Going back from there is the one concession from the old that people may squeal about - it would get a T-5 5speed. I love old stuff as much as the next guy, but I live in a town where in town freeway speeds average 75mph, and at that you being passed all day. It would get a set of juice brakes, and if money wasn't an issue, they'd be new Lincoln repros. A dropped axle would lead the way, along with a reversed eye spring. At the rear, I would probably go to a '40 era rear,as they are somewhat huskier. De arch the spring a bit, and reverse the eyes to bring it down, probably reduce a few leaves too for softer ride. Do beware though that it takes a bit of screwing around with the rear spring to put the later rear in place. On the out side, one of the things I like from that era is the beginnings of 15" wheels on hot rods. I would probably do a set of ford steels and paint them white. That's another thing that I see in old photos from Santa Ana and other early strips, white wheels. Don't know why, I just see lots in the old pictures. A pair of 5.60X15" on the front, and probably a pair of 7.00X15" on the rear. A second choice on wheel color would be school bus yellow, your tastes may vary. I would have a very hard time doing anything to radical to the out side on this car. To be honest, I would source a '34 grill and hood, just because that's what I like better, and in the "old days" I'm told a '34 was more desirable. You didn't see too much about '33s until about 1980 or so, then all model 40s suddenly became '33s! As far as cutting, I much prefer these cars stock height top unless they are a full race looking fenderless kinda deal, and I wouldn't do that to this car. I do however, own a louver press, and the hood, decklid, a set of solid hood sides, and maybe the gas tank cover would get a liberal punching in a patteren that tapers from the grill shell and matches through the deck and tank cover. I've done several that way, and looks bitchin'. I would probably drop the headlights just a bit, and maybe go to a slightly smaller headlight, painted, not chrome. Taillights, I like the stockers, but they probably would have gone in the bin the first day in '51, so how about the ever popular '39, or if you can find something fun and off beat like '41 Packard or something else that would fit the period. Paint it if you want, but if it were mine, it would run in a frequently renewed coat of black prime, cause that's what I like. If it did go shiny, black, or maybe a bright yellow, or orange would do. It's really up to you though. I would suggest buying up a stack of Don Montgomery books, and a bunch of era specific magazines to get a feel for what you need to do. Anyway you do it man, It'll be cool.

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

She must mean to leave the fenders on, keep the wires. Ask her what her fav color is, work it in even if it's just the horns and wheels.

27. Current to that era flathead with aftermarket heads, intake, big cam and headers. Columbia rear, 16 inch wheels, juice brakes and some original Ford color would do it. Make the inside nice and it will be about what the original post asked about.

28. Geez! Some guys get all the luck. What an amazing score. That thing is bitchin'!!!

Oh yeah, I'd add one of my shift knobs as a tribute to the WWII generation.

29. Pete,

basically what he said, 2 carb, with either 50 merc rims (if it stays with fenders.....), although, if the fenders temperarily came off then I'd have to say 16" rims all round, with 4.75-5.00/16's up front, and 7.50/16's down back (blackwall allround).

This car has survived along time to this point, a credit that deserves respect, so, let it breath a new life, but with the class and dignity I know you can give it and enjoy.

As mentioned, buy some of those books, soak it up, and keep it simple in the short time.Let me know what length that torque tube is you need....I'll chech my rack...;):) :D

Cheers,

Drewfus

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You have a very rare opportunity. Cars like yours don't just fall out of the trees. I bought my 32 sport coupe just for the same reason. It was so complete and untouched that I had the chance in the early 90s to do what guys did in 1946 when they were rather plentiful. Don't get in a big hurry. Once the car gets hotrodded it will never be in this condition again.

For me it was fun to build it like they used to. I had brought back rough pieces from the scrap pile before but starting with a nice piece was so much fun. Beating the bushes for the right pieces that were available back then is part of the fun for me. Try it you might like it.

Talk to some traditional rodders before you make a decision on how to build it. I guess that is what you are doing here. There are a lot of new guys that don't get the gospel that the HAMB is trying to spread. This is a religion to a few of us. We are often called the "period police" but that's OK. Anybody can build a 1-800 recreation. It's a lot harder but much more rewarding to build an authentic old time period hotrod. Good luck and keep us up to date on your build. If you want to build it as an old hotrod you can get a lot of help here. More than just web sites of new reproduction parts.