Register now to get rid of these ads!

Italian Buick...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Jul 7, 2013.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I Have a customer wanting me to fix his 63 Buick convert back to its former glory...

Theres only one part that im stumped on about finding parts for it...

He bought it brand new in Italy when he was in the army, also has a 63 french split window vette...

So the question is... How similar are parts from american to foreign buicks?

I did work on an OT 72 chevelle that was canadian and I had to find a Canadian fender since an american one was close but mounts were different...

Any help?

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

That question can only be answered when you figger where his Buick was originally built! US and Kanada built Buicks share most, but not all parts depending on model.
    The build tag and vin should be a good place to start your search. I'd hit some Buick web sites for info. and parts

Good luck

3. You might spell custom, with a "K", but please don't spell "Canada" with one.;)

4. C "eh" N "eh" D "eh"

LOL!!!

5. desotot

desotot

^^^^^^ stop mocking us . :] eh!

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Should be the same except for "export only" features like speedo in kilometers, heavy duty "export" suspension, and possibly different headlights or other details to comply with local vehicle laws.

Buick convertible being a low production car, I doubt there was more than one assembly plant making them. I would bet it was built in Detroit along side all the other Buicks.

That would be funny though, seeing a Riviera on the Riviera.

7. 54rat210

54rat210

Find the parts with excess amounts of hair??

8. Biggest difference will likely be lower compression ratio, and MAYBE the adjustable export rockers. Not sure what years they used those. ZMAN or Ironhunter may chime in.
    Tom Telesco, are you reading this?

9. 1959apache

1959apache

To me this is the only difference :D:D:D

10. raven

raven

Male or female?
    r

11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine has a 61 Electra 225 Convertible that was assembled in Switzerland. It´s all the same as on an American Buick besides the kilometer odometer and lots of rust, hahahaha

12. adventurer

adventurer

In the early sixties, many american cars were imported to Europe, and Italy was no exception. I have seen a lot of Skylarks from 61 to 63, and they all were same as american counterparts, just ambe rturn signals and KM speedo. Most were ordered with power options like window and seats...but that was all

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Thanks guys, It really is a nice car... Its amazing the story with the car also... The guy was in the Army and travelled around Europe as a teacher for the children of Soldiers on post... The Buick, to his knowledge has been to, Italy, to see the pope, on the audobahn, the alps, Eifel tower, and the list just goes on and on. He told me he paid a fortune to bring it back with him but just to imagine the memories in it is mind boggling...

14. So...which model, and which engine?

15. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

and also, what's a figger? My gut's telling me it's a racist fish remark...

OP: I'd love to see pics of that Buick - while I'm of little assistance in tracking down any actual information for you, someone on here might start seeing noticeable differences.

16. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Ok, I didnt take pics when I went to look at it, but the car will be coming in around July 20th...Its a v8...Didnt look which, auto on the floor. Its a wildcat?

I have to many cars in my head sorry... In the next month or so I have a '72 chevy truck, '71 camaro, '40 ford, '63 lincoln, and that buick.... And someone wants me to fix up a 76 new yorker... No...

My shops not just 63 and older but I dont work on anything newer than '73...

Too much work and cant find help...

17. adventurer

adventurer

It would be nice of he still has the italian plates....or if he has some pics of the car going around europe . My guess it''s a Skylark...they were very common at the time