Register now to get rid of these ads!

It wont start what am I missing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalix_421, May 5, 2013.

1. metalix_421

metalix_421

tried to fire with starting fluid last night, I got it to backfire one time in about 10 minutes and is was a sad excuse for a backfire.

NOT ENOUGH SPARK?

2. 3spd

3spd

3. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Make sure your coil has a good ground to the engine and make sure the engine has a good ground to the chassis and make sure the chassis has a good ground to the battery.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would try new points as well,that would have been the first thing I would have replaced.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just a basic question: with a sparkplug removed but attached to it's plug wire and the plug tip touching the engine, have someone crank it over. Do you have a nice healthy spark across the sparkplug electrode gap?

6. kisam

kisam

How many volts is your battery putting out, sound like it maybe weak?

7. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Hi, This may or may not help; my 472 had sat (no running or even turned over) for the lifters to bleed off completely. It took a lot of turning over the motor to get the lifters built up so that the motor would try to start. Was running the motor off of a gas can thur the fuel pump (I know--not one of my best ideas) and took forever turning the motor over to build it up on oil pressure to get the motor to start. Good luck and keep us posted. How long has the motor set no being started??

8. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Put your old condenser back in it. Their either good or bad, and Ive got new ones that were bad.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's it goin' for ya, metalix?

10. metalix_421

metalix_421

My coil is grounded to my motor on the same bolt that grounds my motor to my frame, My battery is grounded to my frame.

I bought new points today and put them in, no spark at all. guessing they are not set right yet by eye balling it.

battery is brand new bought it last week.

and to rickybop Im sure I really dont have to say it but Im ready to pull my hair out and hit it with a hammer until it works or so broke that it has a reason not to.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE IMPUT AND HELP. IT IS REALLY HELPING ME EVEN THOUGH IM NOT GETTING ANYWHERE.

I ran into another issue tonight, I have a HEI for it but wanted to get it running as is before swapping stuff out.
    but I gave up and decided to put it in tonight and start over with that BUT after pulling the clamp off the dizzy is stuck in there, tried tapping it but she is stuck WTF is going on with this motor???????

the motor has sat for about 18 months, after looking at it today I noticed that there is no oil in the lines running to my remote filter, (I have clear hoses)

I tried my old condencer tonight along with buying another one today, neither helped or hurt

11. Connect a vacuum gauge to an intake vacuum port on the manifold. Close off any other vacuum lines or hoses and completely close the throttle by backing out the idle speed screw. Spin it over a bit with a well charged battery and you should see maybe 4 to 7 inches of vacuum. Low or no vacuum may indicate a valvetrain problem. (Sticky valves or collapsed lifters as mentioned above)