Register now to get rid of these ads!

It was tragic!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crusty Nut, Oct 8, 2006.

1. The new shifter is a huge improvement:D

2. flathead okie

flathead okie

Other than the dash paques,steering wheel, probably the color, and the murual(defenatly) I don't see too much wrong with it. I once had a T-bucket the same color, 1970 AMC Big Bad Green, I liked the color on it, but it was small.

3. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Word of advice. If you don't want to know how someone else treats your car after you sell it; SELL it to someone far, far away so you will never see it again. Result, No Regrets.

One thing I have never understood is why some people think that a car is a billboard to express their opinion. Like with a stupid cartoon. Real hot rodders express themselves with just the styling of their car, IMHO.

My nickle's worth.

4. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Buuuuud....Whhhy....Zeeeerrrr
    These things have happened to alot of my old cars

5. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

I love the dash plaques .......... WTF !

6. Tell us more about the tableau in the frog mural. At looks like it was taken from a "get well soon" card.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I feel your pain.

8. man I would be depressed too. :(

9. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I saw one of my old rides I sold to someone who was going to restore it in a junkyard a couple weeks ago missing anything of value. It must be kinda like identifying a corpse in a morgue... Ruined my week. I'd rather still see a car I owned changed around and butt-ugly than stripped and about to be shredded by the machinery to do it that was less than 100 feet away.

10. skipstitch

skipstitch

I trust you spent HIS money in a way HE would approve of.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, it's his now. Whatever. But THIS...

... is funny. Hahahaha. That's some seriously goony stuff. Haha, sorry man.

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Street rodders. WTF. Friggin toads??? I think I puked in my mouth a little bit.

13. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:mad: So what.... you got your cash... it's his car now. I sold a duece fordor to a guy , I had owned the car for 20 plus years , was a great driver,put over 100,000 miles on it never let me down, looked good, fun car indeed. Got real sentilmental when I saw it go down the road... but the sentilmental feelings left when I put the cash in the bank. The guy told me he thot the car was just great , loved driving it, said I did a great job building it. 'bout a month later ripped it apart, bought a "pro frame", etc. etc.,... never did put it on the road and then put it in pieces on E-bay. Have no idea what happened to the car since then... nor do I care,, enjoying drivin' my deuce 3 window that the fordor financed!!:)

14. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Haha. I think its kinda funny.

One time my friend said he saw this lawyer driving my dads old 41 in the rain with the top down. The next night he saw it in applebees parking lot with the top down just as the heavens were about to open up and make a bath tub out of it.

What more can you do than laugh? ya know? It his/hers/theirs and they enjoy what they are doing with it. :)

15. 29SX276

29SX276

Built two rods in this town,sold 'em both;they're still here:rolleyes: ! I'm building a third,I ain't selling this one!

16. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Like I said in my original post, it's his now, whatever, it was just painful to look at and even more so since I helped him get it there. As much shit as he changed he really should have started with a basket case like I did. He even replaced all the glass in the car (that was 2 years old) because he didn't like the green tint. He also told me he had to have it upolstered twice because the first time didn't look quite right.
    But, I did get the number of a sweet airbrush artist for my next project.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. borntoolate

borntoolate

My dad once put his heart and soul in restoring a 67 Galaxie convertible, red/red and a white top. Beautiful car. Won his class at several shows. Decided to sell it to make room and have mo money. Guy that bought it was a wealthy nightclub owner a whole state away and he said he would give the car to his son who was about to go off the college. Ugh! Just before seeing him off, dad told the man to please never bring the car back around here again, knowing it would not be taken care of as it had been. About 5 years later, dad saw a 67 gal. convert coming up the drive. He looked out and assumed it was someone with a similar car coming for upholstery. That's what dad does. The car had dents on every major panel. The paint was totally neglected and burned up. The top was bent from running it down while driving at speed. The interior was trashed and obviously left out in the weather for long periods of time. It ran terrible and the mufflers were rusted out. Dad recognized the nightclub owner and just stood there in disbelief as the rich dork explained how his rich dork son went to Florida to college and the car spent most of it's time on and around the beach usually of'course with the top down. The guy asked dad if he could put another convert. top on it and staighten the frame. Dad reminded him that he said he didn't want to ever see the car again and told the guy he was now trespassing and you better got off my propery real fast! That was nearly 15 years ago and it still bothers him to think about it now. It really doesn't matter who's got the money and who's got the car when somebody put their heart and soul into a great old car and some goofball screws it all up.

18. borntoolate

borntoolate

I'm sure he could WOW the judges at the FROG FOLLIES in Indiana. HAHA!

19. Considering his color choice, that doesn't make much sense, does it?

20. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Crusty- first off, it was really fun, us Pandraggers riding with you Rusty Nuts in Rick's '39. Maybe this'll make him want to hang on to his flamed beauty even longer. When you mentioned it was parked by your old ride, I thought, "He had two of 'em?!" Unbelieveable, man. Sure, it's up to the new owner or whatever, but it'll always be your baby.
    Hella tragic, indeed!
    So hang on to the A, buddy.
    BTW- the 'Draggers have a club meet at the Freeze, Saturday night @ 5, we're gonna have group shots, then we'll be cruising around. Can you come? Spread the word. I'm bringing Donna even if she's still limping (workin' on that, though).
    Most of all, I'm glad you guys made it back alright, was worried that that was the "tragic" part.

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It could have been far worse...

[​IMG]

22. I can't stop laughing at those damn frogs!!!!!!!!

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

My two year old daughter would like it.

24. DrJ

DrJ

This proves the frogs are the cause of more than one person's happiness.
    That makes them ok.

It's not like he trashed the car like in the case of the convertible detailed above.
    In his and most people's eyes he bought an "unfinished" car.
    The kind that gets taken to the 'Unfinished Nationals" even though the current owner is "done" with it?

So he bolted a different steering wheel on the tilt column that was already in it(?)

So he put an interior in it where it had just a blanket over rusty springs...

Does that '40 Sedan have '39 rear fenders on it?
    Looks like the tail lights are low for a 40 but right for a '39 to me.
    Like the '40 "Chevron" lights got put in the '39 teardrop holes?

25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

lmao... frogs... it's been a while since I just blurted out laughing like that up at work, everyone here was asking what was so funny...

26. 3034

That must have been a long drive back to 1981 to have all of that done!

27. repoguy

repoguy

So, uhhh, frogs huh? Wow that's, ummm, that's really something.

It was very big of you not to say anthing shitty to the new owners. I mean, yeah, it's definitely not the kind of thing that will make you a hero around here, but fuck it - looks like they're having fun with it. Not to mention the fact that they were nice enough to have a big steaming pile of cash for you at a time when you probably really needed it.

I remember when I was 20 and worked at the surf shop. Back then we would ruin every other dude who walked into the shop. Then one day I was working with the guy who was a little older than me (also the best team rider they had), and he was dealing with an obviously uninformed newbie. When I started to make jokes about the guy after he left with his new board and the guy I was working with said "hey man, he's stoked and that's all that matters".

28. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

:eek:....:confused:...:(..........:mad:

29. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

It's not like he trashed the car like in the case of the convertible detailed above.
    In his and most people's eyes he bought an "unfinished" car.
    The kind that gets taken to the 'Unfinished Nationals" even though the current owner is "done" with it?

So he bolted a different steering wheel on the tilt column that was already in it(?)

So he put an interior in it where it had just a blanket over rusty springs...

Does that '40 Sedan have '39 rear fenders on it?
    Looks like the tail lights are low for a 40 but right for a '39 to me.
    Like the '40 "Chevron" lights got put in the '39 teardrop holes?[/quote]

Dr J, I didn't consider it "done" either, I also never said it was perfect before. That was my first build and of course there are things I would have changed had I kept it. It just shocked me to see it done up like that. I talked with the new owner at length about alot of stuff when the deal was made. He didn't come across as a "face painter" (Sienfeld reference:p ).

Yes those are 39 fenders with chevrons in the modified holes. I did that just to have it look a little different. It also puts the reflector at a better angle and increases the visibilty of the tail light.
    Crusty

30. belair

belair

He could've modified it to look like a PT Cruiser. And then done the pink panther theme.