Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It looks like my cars are not safe in my own driveway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The driver lost control of her vehicle and crashed onto your property causing damage.

Call your Home Owner's insurance (your local agent not the 1-800 number where a distant call center clerk will dust you off) and lay the situation on them. They will almost certainly tell you they won't cover the vehicle, but should be able to answer your questions and give you some advise. Your premium includes their support, so use it as they're the insurance subject matter experts. (I just spoke to my agent because CA just passed a bill that raises Homeowners premiums by 40%!)

Get all of her info from the Boyfriend. BTW, is he a good Joe? Are you on good speaking terms with him as a neighbor?

For the record, file a police report. As others have said, chances are that she has insurance but has such a bad driving/insurance record that one more claim will see her rates skyrocket or get her insurance cancelled.

Get some estimates so you know what your damage is, even if you take pictures and a short video to a couple of shops.

If she and the neighbor are assholish toward you and don't cooperate, you can go Nitroholic's route and take her to small claims court. (Typically free or a small fee to file).
    If she's a complete and total deadbeat and judgment proof, judgment's are typically good for a few years and can usually be extended. The hanging judgment may even screw up her chance to land a job if it shows during a credit check during a pre employment screening.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    rbrewer likes this.
  2. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Put up a fence to separated the two driveways. Or move your car off the property line. Get a police report done asap. The fence might seem un-neighborly but she hit your car, repeat...she hit your car.

3. topher5150

topher5150

fences make good neighbors

mad mikey, F-ONE, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  4. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Depending on the relationship her boyfriend might come to her rescue and also to keep peace as a neighbor. But then again her and boyfriend may not give a crap one way or another.

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

Installment payments = Dollar down, dollar when you catch me.

rbrewer likes this.
  6. I dunno ... isn't filing a police report this long after the event kind of pointless? I'm guessing it would have been a lot better if the cops had been called immediately and both parties were still on site when the cops arrived .... If she is driving with no insurance, that gives her a great reason to claim she was never on that property that day and has no idea what you are talking about. Her admitting fault at this point in time opens her up to possibly being charged for no insurance. Unless you have video evidence ... I think that ship has sailed.

That being said, a family friend recently crashed his truck and he had no insurance. Fine for no insurance here in Ontario Canada is $5,000 ... they ticketed him for careless driving and nothing else. The family paid for the damage to the car he hit ($3200). He got super lucky he didn't cause any personal injury, just property damage. (I should add, he is no longer in possession of a drivers license and his truck was written off so he is no threat to anyone else at this time).

I think I'd just polish off the tire marks, touch up the paint scuff, bang out the door handle area and hand the girl a bill for $100 for your time. As others have stated ... there is a LOT to be thankful for if one has good neighbors.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think it happened while I was in the shower saturday night since I heard nothing and found it monday morning,I got up sunday morning while they were still inside and left for the day and did not notice anything different except for the rear bumper on her SUV was mangled.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its going to be a little more then 100 and was thinking about 400 or 500.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The one estimate from a good body shop was 3400 so no hundred dollar so it has to be more,the door is pushed in at the handle and one more crease and since the local old junkyard jas at least 4 65 4 doors I am going to get a door if not rusty and since the front fender has a big dent in the bottom I will grab a fender if there is a decent one.

Deuces likes this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Found more damage,the drivers door handle had been pushed in some too.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I talked to her tonight for the first time,told her of that one estimate and then talked to one of the guys at work about what would they charge to fix it and one said around 1000 so that is what I told her. If I can get most of that I will be happy but have a feeling its going to take some time to get it if I do.

12. Sounds like you are on the right track to me.

Stogy likes this.

13. well , it’s progress.
    How did she take the news? Receptive or stand-offish?

Stogy likes this.
  14. Touch it up, buff it out, and Get some of her money, her boyfriend will provide the funding.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I shocker her with the 3400 estimate so she acted like 1000 was not so bad.

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This thread is a solid example of why I carry not only comprehensive coverage, but very high UM and UIM limits on my policies. It would be my luck that I too get hit by someone with no insurance.

loudbang likes this.
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will most likely have full coverage on everything from now on,I am sure I will not see much money.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  18. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Several years ago my younger brother got T-boned by a teenager who was driving a late 60's Mustang. The kid had no insurance so my brother took him to court. When the kid told the judge he had no job and no money, the judge asked my brother what he wanted to do. My brother said he would take the Mustang as payment for the damages. The judge agreed. The Sheriff came with my brother to get the car. In front of the kid my brother told the wrecker driver to take the Mustang to the scrap yard and squash it. Two hours later the Mustang was a cube of scrap metal.

P.S. my brother sent photos of the cube to the kid.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I made sure I have coverage on a couple more vehicles and found out I have coverage on the car in question so if I do not start getting money soon I will put in a claim.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Buffed it out and looks much better,neighbor is starting to avoid me so I doubt I see any money so I am glad the car did not get more damaged and is really not that noticeable so I will wait for karma to take care of her.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Even the neighbors kids are not saying hi like normal so I think I am now the bad guy for wanting her to pay me for the damage she caused.

22. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

So sorry, but that sounds about right for the current generation

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I hope karma bites them in the ass good.

24. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

It's better to owe it to you than beat you out of it.

25. The way they see it is most likely like this ... the poor girl made a mistake that "caused minimal damage to your ugly old worn out four door car that, as can clearly be seen, needed a paint job before the incident" (surface rust is seen in the pics). The car is no uglier than it was before and it is still completely drivable so what's the problem they are most likely thinking. You became the bad guy (again, in their eyes) when you brought them a quote of $3400 which, in their minds, is clearly nothing more than you attempting to make a LARGE profit from her small mistake. Being that they live right next door, I assume they know you work at a body shop so again, in their minds this is something you should be able to easily fix yourself at home or at the shop after hours, for little to no money.

Good neighbors or having a good relationship with your close neighbors may sometimes come at a cost but may be well worth the expense. Have you priced out how much it would cost to move if the relationship sours to the point of not being able to live beside each other?

I get that you did nothing wrong. I get that, in a perfect world, others should be held accountable for their actions or mistakes but I stand by my comment of "I think I'd just polish off the tire marks, touch up the paint scuff, bang out the door handle area and hand the girl a bill for $100 for your time. As others have stated ... there is a LOT to be thankful for if one has good neighbors".

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and Wanderlust like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Are you insinuating that he should chalk it up as a loss????
    Because that's what it sounds like....:rolleyes:

mad mikey likes this.
  27. It may not be the 'right' or 'correct' way to handle it but it may be the 'best' way to handle it (when looking at the big picture).

I doubt she started off her day looking for a car to hit ... crap happens.

This didn't happen in a parking lot or on a road, it happened in a driveway and neighbors are involved ... normal rules do not apply.

Edit: If the girl can't afford a license or insurance, I can't see how she'll swing $1000 let alone $3400. Sure, it really is "not my problem, she needs to be taught a lesson and pay for her actions" but, in this particular instance, the value of good neighbor relations might be wise to consider. Keep in mind, in one post the OP described it as his 'beater' ... so this ain't a one-of-five Pierce Silver Arrow, it's a "beater" and a four door and the neighbors probably see this as being asked to pay $3400 to repair a $500 car.

I have already said too much ... this will be my last post on this subject :D
    To the OP, I wish you the best of luck resolving this in the manner that you see fit :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If she would have offered 500 up front I would have taken it but knowing it would take a long time to get the money I said 1000 for the hassle. My intention of showing her the 3400 dollar estimate was to scare her into getting insurance,if she hit a expensive car or caused injuries then she would be screwed but I have a feeling it did not sink it.

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It damaged her car way worse then mine. 20210906_103145.jpg

30. Deuces

Deuces

Beautiful!....:)

mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.