Register now to get rid of these ads!

issues with lower radiator hose...fan is cutting it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingbohemian, Sep 18, 2009.

1. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

So I am havin a few issues here. Everything under the hood of my '54 International is pieced together. Got a '91 400 sm block 350, with some kind of mopar radiator, not sure exactly what. Every time I hit a bump the fan nicks the lower radiator hose. It finally blew. Replacing this hose been ultimately the hardest thing as I don't have an exact engine to place it to. I brought the old hose in and every fella has given me something that just doesn't fit. What about those flex-fit universal hoses? Once I do find the right hose, I still have the issue of it being cut again. I thought about a smaller fan, but I don't want to risk overheating. Also some kind of guard? It looks like the previous owner has moved the radiator a few times, which has made it quite shaky. I don't know why he did this, but I'm sure its for a good reason. The problem is I don't have his phone number. Any ideas? I'm a newbie to all this, so its probably a really easy fix, but I haven't found the means to do so.

2. if a bump makes the fan hit the radiator hose , either the fan is too close to the hose or the radiator and engine are not properly mounted so they move around too much. i would make them secure and then look into rerouting the radiator hose from the fan. maybe moving the radiator a bit would help too

any pictures you can post?

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

???????? Not sure what engine you have. I'm assuming Chevrolet. The 400's were not made after 1976 or so.

As far as the radiator hose, when I'm looking for something that will work in a particular custom application, I'll bend a piece of wire into a shape that will work, then go down to my friendly auto parts store and start looking at hoses. Usually you can find a hose that has the correct, or close enough shape, to make it work. Sometimes you have to buy a lot more hose than you need, just to cut the 12-inch oiece out of the center of a 24-inch hose, to get the shape you need. Note also that I said "friendly" auto parts store. Some of these places won't let anybody behind the counter except employees.

And it does sound like you might have to spend some time figuring out what is moving to cause fan/hose interference. If the radiator and/or engine move much when you hit a bump, I'd be looking the entire rig over closely. No telling what else might be "loose", and loose can maim, injure, or kill.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

If you are running a Small Block Chevrolet ... and have the room ...
    You might want to consider going to a ZIPS water pump riser.

[​IMG]

They raise the fan 5 and 1/2 inches. They are NO LONGER than the regular SBC short ( old style ) pump.

Go here for threads about the ZIPS.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399383&highlight=zips

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119484&highlight=zips

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357516&highlight=zips

Or just do a search here on the HAMB for ZIPS :D

5. metal man

metal man

Modifying the radiator and or an electric fan are also options if you can't find a usable hose to clear your current fan .First you do need to make the radiator stop bouncing around . It should be mounted securely in rubber .Good luck .

6. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

It sounds like the radiator is sitting kinda high up , any chance you could lower it with a modified radiator mount? Also how much room is there between the distributor and firewall -