Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Island Dragway in NJ in trouble again, this sounds fishy to me....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintman27, Jul 26, 2018.

1. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I wonder how much generator she would need for the lights? probably less than $11000. I bet theres a racer who could find her a good used generator. Screw the electric company

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This seems like an excellent candidate for a solar farm. Incorporate it on the unused area of the track (old spectator side) And as been said a big diesel generator could power that whole place.

Pat

coolhandponcho54 and Deuces like this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

For those that can't use the link. They got an electric bill for $5000 for a month. (It usually runs $500-$700 per month) When they called they were told the next bill would be $11000. They were changed to an $11000/month base billing. Meaning that the bill will now start at $11000. They have called the Public Utilities Commission, ect.
    I suspect things will change. My guess is that somebody will discover a computer error.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

..... Or trying to shut them down...

6. Everything is a conspiracy. Follow the $$, may be a good site for a golf course or shopping mall.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Or a "Solar Farm" c'mon guys think positive. She can be on the leading edge of multiple use property and maybe with the right tech partners the track could continue to operate even make money. I know somebody who says "keep it small and keep it all" I think thats a narrow minded policy. Finance guru's say the way to wealth is not by saving but by letting your money work for you.

Pat

8. Allan Perry

Allan Perry
    from Quanah Tx

They need to check out gov. auctions some of the gen that I have seen online have low hrs.

1934coupe and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Renting portable light towers would be cheaper than that! Run day races!

Bones

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

They should switch to those curly-cue flourescent bulbs. The man on the Radio said we'd "save energy" that way, and lower our electricicle bill. Or even those fancy pants LSDs.

11. paintman27 Some advice you might want to share with the owner. First off, get the public service commission involved. Check to make sure the multiplier is correct. On rare occasions a meter might be exchanged and the old mult. is still in your records. On most older meters it is stamped on the face plate. Some newer digital meters might have it stamped also. Other wise the only way to check it as being correct is with transformer/type of service and meter type information along with some math. The public service commission helps with this. As far as peak and off peak usage- Peak usage costs the most and it's usually during the hours of say 12:00 to 6:00 or 8:00 pm. Off peak is the cheapest and is from 8:00 pm to 4:00 am. Off peak can also be between 4:00am and 12 noon but some utilities refer to this as pre peak. All the times can vary slightly depending on the utility. If the usage is mostly due to lights I can not see them being on during peak hours especially in the summer. There probably is a summer rate charge but I don't think that would come close to explain the massive difference in bills. Other possible reasons are human error (in the billing dept. or the meter reading dept.) A lightening strike or electrical spike can screw up a meter. I doubt this to be the cause unless it is an older mechanical meter with a digital display/register added. A really large surge can wipe out the magnets causing the meter to free spin. Lastly, defective customer equipment such as AC compressors, 3 ph motors, etc. can be a reason for high usage. Hope they get it straightened out, hate to loose another track.
    Forgot to say to get the meter tested with the public service agent present if all else fails. This is usually free.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Finn Jensen likes this.