Register now to get rid of these ads!

Isky roller cam for the ol' rocket 324

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3x2rocket, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

Ok, I hope you fellas aren't tired of talking about this yet! Isky 505t roller cam 531 lift 290 duration, I want to put it in my 55 rocket 324 with 56 heads. The question is: how do I know if its hydraulic or solid? I know sbc roller lifters will fit, and custom pushrods are not too expensive but do I also need adjustable rocker arms?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think you can count on it being solid and yes you will need adjustable rockers

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Concur with RF above. Hot hydraulic cams didn't come into play until the late 60s.

4. vintakes

vintakes

measure your lifters they should be .921 chevy won't fit the 324 only the 303 505 t cam is a solid lifter cam you can easily tell when the spec card gives a valve lash like .018 etc the cam can be easily made to use hyd rollers by haveing the "clearance ramps removed by a cam grinder and should not neccesiyate re-hardening process use late model olds diesel hyd roller lifters and attcking plate plate should bolt right in your motor you may need to make 080 spacer plates to install on top if the lifter bores. after you have cam and lifters install check to see if the lifter rises above the bore if so you need a spacer plate if you want to run the solids you can collaspe the hyd rollers [this was done back in the 50's before good hyd were available] smith brothers in oregon can make you adjustable pushrods and of course you'll need heavier valve springs and maybe +080 spring retainers the 505 T is a good torque cam designed for sprint - roudy round cars that nneded power coming of the corners will make good street cam will stall converter john

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Olds engines used the same diameter lifter as Chevrolet through '56. They didn't go to the .921 diameter lifters until '57 with the first 371s.