Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Isky Roadster at Speedway Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Jun 30, 2021.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

1B264178-EF79-44F5-B617-7D3633F49956.jpeg

Great presentation of Isky’s roadster at the American Museum of Speed. Isky was present at the Speedster Reunion. There is one of his cam grinders on the right side of the display. Also an excellent description of the F head with drawings out of camera range on the left. It was stuffed between cars at the NHRA Museum in Pomona with a small description card. Video interview runs on a loop.

wicarnut, Dean Lowe, KiWinUS and 27 others like this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Wayne Carini had it for awhile.
    Happy to see it there! :)

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. 0ldracer

0ldracer

4. Fordors

Fordors

The car is in the right place now, at least the Smith’s and their museum director/curator have knowledge of and appreciation for the pioneers of our hobby.

Stogy, loudbang, TerrytheK and 6 others like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Great to see the “good” tires back on it!

Stogy, TerrytheK and loudbang like this.
  6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed is one of our Honorary members of the LAR club.-----Don

Hamtown Al, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Isky shows up at many events across the Country Winfield & Watson Gathering-Mojave 112 (Small).jpg

Stogy, TerrytheK, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The Carini deal was a joke, tried to make money on the deal, and I do believe thats Winfields cam grinder

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glad the car is somewhere it will be greatly appreciated by everyone, and not in some hiding place!
    Carini is a used car dealer, so that's how I look at whatever he does.
    Ed was here in town about 9 years ago for a speaking engagement at the community college automotive center. Very nice guy, and spent a lot of time visiting and answering questions. When he was done he asked if he could climb in my old Austin gasser, and I asked if he'd sign the dashboard for me. He was happy to do so.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to see that the car is in a place of honor and well presented. I wanted to go to the museum on my trip to Kansas and Texas a few years ago but it was too close to the time I had to be in Park City Kansas for a family reunion to go then.

Stogy, TerrytheK and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They did have Isky`s Cam grinder at the museum a couple years ago. It was much bigger. I have a pic somewhere ?

12. Jim the Sweep

Jim the Sweep

As a kid, I read an article in an early seventies HotRod mag about that car. It was covered in boxes of stuff and had to be dug out to take pictures. It still ran and there was a pic of Mr Isky beaming away in it like a big kid.Which is what it is all about.
    Proper hotrod.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Isky did have/own Winfields grinder

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Oh !. Good to know.

15. glad to see Isky's car in the right place.. Nothing against ole Wayne.. he buys and sells it's what a car dealer does( both good and bad in some cases)

16. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been wanting to visit the Museum of American Speed for a long time and finally decided to make a special trip to Lincoln just to do that. One of the deciding factors was that the Isky roadster is there. I'm telling you, seeing that car was akin to a religious experience. It was absolutely, positively worth it.
    A word of advice: if you've been thinking like I was, "...someday...", just go. Don't make it a side trip on the way to somewhere else unless you can allow a full day shift to see it all. I spent most of Friday afternoon there, and went back again Saturday morning. My God, there are three floors!
    Some shots I took:

DSC_4888_1000.jpg
    This is the Maxi F-Head engine conversion on display next to the roadster:
    DSC_4709_900.jpg

As many of you may know, Isky replaced the original Maxi 2-piece valve covers with ones he made himself. The info displayed on the wall behind the car told the story about that and other details on the roadster's history.

DSC_4720_1000.jpg

And, the cam grinder...
    DSC_4722_900.jpg
    @denis4x4 is right on. The Ed Iskenderian roadster exhibit - including the cam grinder, the wall displays, the on-screen video interview- was well done and extremely informative.
    And that pretty much describes the entire museum itself.
    https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/
    Dammit, guys - go see it!! :):cool:

17. Fordors

Fordors

@TerrytheK thanks for the additional pictures, I don’t recall having seen any details of a Maxi head before. For sure I need to get out to Lincoln and visit the Museum.

Stogy, loudbang and TerrytheK like this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, now that's a real museum display! And justifiable, as that's one of the most iconic Hot Rods ever!!!

19. shortypu

shortypu

Isky's is 100 yrs old july 10 so to honor him LTR racing engines puts on a small car show/cackle fest/bbq at their compound in Canebrake Ca.Always a good time and cool people,Isky's still sharp as a tack and hasnt forget anything.Everybodys invited 29330 hwy 178 Onyx Ca 93255.These pics from a few years back. IMG_2456.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_3313.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0720.JPG IMG_0713.JPG

20. Much respect! Glad Ed's still kick'n!

21. catdad49

catdad49

Hey, who’s the “young” guy sitting with Ed?!

Hamtown Al, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  22. timeflies

timeflies
    from Guthrie OK

Can’t think of a better place for it!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

One more reason to get to the Bill Smith Collection, glad it is among so many other great race cars, and engines. Bob

TerrytheK, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big Thumbs Up to Ed, his ever Evolving Legend in Hotrod and Speed...and he IS the Real Deal...Legend as is many of You here...;)

He was also a great Artist...That Cap is wild as is his style of building Hotrod

thanks for sharing the goodstuff @denis4x4

I'd like to see it retired with presentable www's and minimal patch restored interior authorized by Ed...I don't pamper the Ole Hotrod but I wouldn't want it shown with deterioration to that extent...again I'll take the real deal patina over other paths and it really looks sharp in the images...Tastefully Captured indeed...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    chevyfordman and loudbang like this.
  25. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Maybe a dumb question, but is Isky's roadster on permanent display at the Speedway Museum or is it on loan to them for a short time?

Stogy likes this.
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As I understand the situation, it is on loan currently. There is hope that it will be permanent. I suspect that the time and effort that went into the display will help tip the scales. There is no comparison between the Speedway display and the NHRA museum display where it sat for years.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got to see it years ago in a display call Art of the American Hot Rod at the Oakland Museum. It is the ruler all other T roadsters are measured by in my mind. What a guy!

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the story behind the unraveling Mummy Cap. I know its Ed's work but what was the driver for the creepy ghoul...perhaps a Movie had inspired it?

I've seen more than 1...I suppose he like Norm G. did some reproductions and sold them...

29. I was at the Speedway museum last Wednesday, June 30, 2021. Seeing Isky's car was great! The museum is amazing. I'll go back and spend more time there. I saw some other cars there that I had seen before, some of them I saw over 20 years ago. It was great to see them again.

TerrytheK and Stogy like this.
  30. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my bucket list!

Stogy likes this.