Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this what I get fot putting a foriegn part on my Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Alright guys, I am building a gauge cluster for my model a with a 53 ford dash. A friend gave me a old 60's VW bug speedo that looks good for my car and is the perfect size. But I have a th400 tranny that im told turns the speedo cable clockwise. I know that the VW speedo needs the cable to turn counter-clockwise to makes the needle move. Anyone ever have this issue and solved it? Or is this what I deserve for putting a foreign part on my car?

Attached Files:

2. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

Go to commercial speedometer in west sac. They are on evergreen across from the international dealership. They can help you out.

3. The speedo is 68 or newer. It should have a date on the back of it. 68 was the first year to have the fuel gauge in the speedo.

4. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Thanks guys! I thought I was screwed!

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You still may be as VWs drove off the front wheel and the speedo calibration will be off . Probably need a $100 ratio corection box also.

6. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

Dude junk the foreign thing and go with a Jeep CJ5 cluster it's like 5 5/8" dia. with fuel and temp built in, turn signal lights too. They make a 140mph model.

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?kw=speedometer

Peace out,

Don

7. HamD

HamD

Since you're already going to be running a reverser, don't add another in-line device like a ratio changer. Correct the reading with speedo gears; TH400 drives and drivens are available.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Most likely not enough correction available doing that.