Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Is this the going rate on these station wagons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Sep 27, 2018.

1. The part of the country where you live has a hell of a lot of influence on what you think a vehicle is worth. I have noticed people who live on the coasts and large cities think vehicles are worth a lot more than us guys in South Podunk. If its advertised on the internet it also seems to get bumped up in value considerably.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32K? It that for a 4-pack?

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I think that's because there's considerably more people (and people with money) on the coasts and big cities.
    Having said that, SoCal is definitely the King of bottom fishing. Some of the asking prices for cars and parts (especially on C/L are laughable and the guys running the ads think nothing of keeping the ads running for months and months w/o dropping the price.

I think the Wagon way overpriced. Maybe a decent deal at half the asking price. Ad doesn't say anything about drivetrain condition (note, the oily drip pan under it).
    If I had 32k and was car shopping at a car show, that one wouldn't get a second glance from me. I just see a grossly overpriced, 4 dr Wagon.

4. 117harv

117harv

Just drug one home a couple weeks ago.

5. Don't argue with me, argue with NADA....
    https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/195...swood/4-Door-Station-Wagon-9-Passenger/Values

Like everyone else, I thought the asking price is high but I looked it up to check. Those are the 'official' book values listed.

6. squirrel

squirrel

from NADA...

"our editors review over one million sales transactions per month to help support our valuation numbers. These transactions come from many sources and depict actual sales both retail and wholesale."

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Fiesty tonight hey?:D

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Original question relates to if it's a bit overpriced. And the going rate. Read all the comments. Large percentage say it is. I doubt anyone would pay that price. I get you want specifics but ease up if you think it's worth that then good for you. This what the hambers do. Give their opinion. We are not curing cancer here.

56don likes this.
  9. Mike

Mike

It would only need to stay clean long enough to take some decent photos.

Squablow likes this.
  10. jimmy959

jimmy959

I agree with everyone who said it needs more photos. I noticed the price was dropped to $25k..still too high for a 6 cylinder wagon IMO. But jeez, how hard is it to give it a quick wash, take a dozen pics of the engine bay, interior, under the car, door jambs, rockers, etc….put in a little effort if you’re gonna ask stupid money for a car. At least pretend you give a sh*t.

….or maybe his wife told him needs to sell it. And after a couple weeks of ads, he can honestly say “Gee, I tried, but no one wanted it.”

RICH B, 41rodderz and upspirate like this.
  11. Guess I caught the right end of the wave on this..
    knock off a zero and I’d go look (if it were local) but yikes. Wouldn’t have guessed anyone would ask 32k for a dusty wagon.
    I catch hell from the old guys about my wagon but as stated the younger folk just see a 50 year old car. They all have new cars with 4 doors, suvs (4dr) crossovers (4dr) or whatever- no idea how uncool they are.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 1pickup

1pickup

You could buy my '63 BelAir wagon for 1/4 of that price.

5window likes this.
  13. Hey that original patina is worth 15k - look a how much time & money guys spend on the fake stuff

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

When there is nothing else on:p. Actually quit watching Gas Monkey years ago. Once in a blue moon on Misfits. More Americarna and Velocity channel stuff. Like the dirt racing:cool:

15. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

This guy wants $20k, but haven't a clue about condition or engine with only one pic:
    https://cars.trovit.com/listing/1959-chevrolet-impala-parkwood-station-wagon.BP1G1D1x1QH1y

Here's one with a 283, few pix but reported complete and in good condition for <$10K obo:
    https://cars.trovit.com/listing/1959-chevrolet-parkwood-station-wagon.TP1CSN1k1Ug

The original car in question looks to be in good enough condition that a $29 bath is all it needs, not $29,000 in body work. I'm not looking for one, but the guy that is looking for one would probably look hard at this car at an offer just over $20k. My guess, probably never proven though.

Squablow likes this.