Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this stock 57 Oldsmobile??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyCASHcadillac, Apr 12, 2021.

1. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

I got this engine with my 32 and know nothing about Oldsmobile. Is this a stock 1957 J2 transmission? A jetaway? I can’t find any other pictures to cross reference.
    I know they are not desirable transmissions. Just scrap it?? IMG_6728.JPG IMG_6729.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Budget36

Budget36

If you don’t know what it is, how do you know it’s not desirable? ;).

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'd try to give it away before scrapping it....and I've scrapped alot over the years. There is a finite supply of the hard parts inside that trans...and no doubt someone will need something out of it.

Tim, Deuces, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  4. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Heck, I sold a 2 speed ford-0-matic on Ebay for $350. And those arnt very desirable either.

Deuces and quick85 like this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Looks like a Dual Coupling Hydramatic or Jetaway. There might be a market for it but it's pretty small. After tripping over mine for a few years I just gave it to the scrap metal guy.
    Just a warning, if it's like the '56 version you can't just unbolt the bellhousing and pull it out like a TH350 or Th400. You will have to remove all of the bolts around the torus cover/converter first, pull it back (making a huge ATF mess) and lift the engine up and off of it. I did mine in the dirt in my front yard and we had quite a wrestling match and some name calling before they were separated. Good luck.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

https://www.charlietranny.com/315Jet.htm
    Jetaway 315, used 1956-64 in some Pontiac, Olds, Cadillac, Buick, Hudson, and American Motors models.
    Don't confuse this transmission with the Super Turbine 300 (A.K.A. 300 THM) which is sometimes also referred to as a Jetaway. Distinguished from a Hydramatic (Standard and Dual Range) by having a park position and either 15 bolt pan (1956-59) or 14 bolt pan (1960-64).
    upload_2021-4-13_7-54-19.png upload_2021-4-13_7-54-43.png
    This was an hydraulically controlled four speed transmission.

Deuces, quick85 and bchctybob like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

If you decide to just pitch it save the yoke and the linkage levers and put them in the HAMB classifieds. Those are pieces that seem to always be missing and are hard to find.
    How 'bout some pictures of the engine? Nothing like an old Olds Rocket in it's natural state.

Tim, Deuces, triumph 1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Darkharts

Darkharts
    from Corona

The only thing harder to find then someone who can and knows how to rebuild it would be something else that will attach to the back of that motor-

If you want the 371 your options are slim.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he’s talking about the older hydramatic. I know nothing about the 56 up transmissions.