Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical IS THIS STILL USEABLE?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rdynes01, Sep 7, 2017.

1. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

I painted my body and hood a week ago with Valspar tractor paint with the hardener mixed in. It turned out real nice and thanks to all who gave me good tips on mix ratio and such but I missed a few small items to that needed paint. I have about 2 qts of the catalized paint in the can that looks to be useable. I thought the hardener would make the paint not useable but it looks OK . Should I risk trying it or am I asking for trouble?.......Bob

2. I wouldn't try it. The catalyst is supposed to harden it. Even though it looks good, its probably in the process of hardening. Unless you didn't put enough in it.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I wouldn't either. It might still be liquid in the cup/can but if it's had hardener in it for more than a day I doubt it will spray right.

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

Knowing me I probably would try it then cuss, swear and complain about it afterwards to my wife or whoever is in my earshot because I tried saving a buck and now have a plugged spray gun and a mess to clean up besides the restriping of the parts even though in the back of my mind I knew I shouldn't do it and know I should start out with a fresh mixture.

anyways where are the pictures? we like seeing fresh painted cars even with Valspar.

5. Personally,I wouldn't take a chance on it spraying it,once mixed there is a short window to use the remainder. HRP

6. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

But given the same choice tomorrow, you would still use it .... admit it. :rolleyes:
    I swear it is a curse we mortals must bear.

7. southerncad

southerncad

Maybe you could brush it on!

8. What do the directions on the can say?

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

The can has been sealed up. I've used Vaspar's hardener before and the hardener won't set up until it is exposed to the drying process. I would use it for a few small parts.

I still have about a 1/2 gal here that had the hardener added when I painted my 50 Dodge 4x4. That truck got wrecked in 2011. I used some from that gal to paint my coupe 4 years ago. The paint on the coupe is fading and chipping, just like the paint on the truck did when it got older. From what I see, the hardener doesn't do much, other then making the paint chip more easily. Gene