Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this Steering Box Rebuildable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Mar 26, 2018.

1. So I bought a steering box from a '63 Econoline. I already knew it was gonna need some love but the price was right and I'm a cheap ass. Started to pull it apart today and someone pulled it apart and packed it with grease without doing anything else. The input was open and water got inside and as you probably figured on your own, pitted the wear surfaces BAD. I like how compact and strong this box is, so I'd like to be able to use it. Anyone know where I could get decent guts for it? '64 F-100 box looks similar externally but it very well could be totally different internally. Or can the wear surfaces be welded up and remachined or something? I'm trying to avoid buying a Borgeson side steer box but the thought of not having to worry about it is pretty tempting even though the price is off putting. I could also get an advance design chevy pickup or F-1/early f100 box but I've already got this so it'd be preferable to save it.

IMG_9999.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

2. Debating on taking a leap on faith and seeing if this sector is the same. The rest of the box looks ok so far but still needs bushings, etc. https://www.ebay.com/p/Ford-C1TR3575A/1580573315?iid=282744432226&rt=nc

This one seems to be for a '61 pickup with a similar box. Btw, this is my first steering box rebuild, how do I remove the input so I can get to inspecting the rest?

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Knock the lock nut loose and screw it out, I think, they are right hand threads. Bones