Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this Rim Set up possible? 15X5 5on5 Torque Thrust II or Astro Supremes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirk35, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Dirk35

Dirk35

I'm building a 48 Ford PU on a 78 Mercury Grand Marquis car Frame for my daughter and I've been having trouble with the front rims. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have used that frame, even though it was free.

I have a set of steel rims on the front now, but I had to run such a small tire, that now I'm bottoming out the running board brackets on speed bumps.

Is this Rim Set up possible? 15X5 5on5 Torque Thrust II , Torque Thrust, or Astro Supremes?
    I only need 2. Id actually prefer a 15X6 with a 4 inch back spacing since its kind of a bigger truck.

Did anyone even make such a rim? Do you think the one-off manufacturers could make a pair of them?:confused:

I need as much backspacing as possible to get the tire up under the truck so it will not rub the fender when the wheels are turned hard. I can use a 15X6 5on5 rim if it has 4 inches of backspacing.

The closest I have came so far is a 15X7 with 4 backspacing Steel rim for a Older Chevy, but the two I have found don't even match and I have to run a really small tire. Id like to get the tire an inch further inward.

Id prefer Astro Supremes or American Racing Torque Thrust 2s, but I know they don't make them that narrow with a 5on5 bolt pattern from the factories.

I posted a Wanted Ad, but I think what I really need to get in touch with is a Company that can make one-off make a rim that looks close to what Im wanting.
    In this video, you can see the older rims that were really rubbing before I found the steel rims (not pictured).

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Certainly you can get custom backspace with steel wheels. Wheelkid on here or others can let you know what the limits are. Astro Supremes are 2 -piece wheels, so are TT2. I know American Racing will make TT2 in custom backspace, I suppose their website would give the backspace limits.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

ET Wheels has their Classic V available in a 15"x6"x4" backspace drilled to your pattern. Cragar also has an S/S in 15"X6"X3.375".

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Is this Rim Set up possible? 15X5 5on5 Torque Thrust II , Torque Thrust or Astro Supremes? " American show's 7" as the narrowest for a 5 on 5. Astro's are a unilug design. Can get 15 X 6 with 5 on 4 1/2 thru 5 on 5 uni pattern but it's a 2 5/8 standard back space only

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

5. I had this pair of 15 inch ancient TT American round-spokes on my old 50 delivery with a negative offset but they were drilled 5 on 4.75". I didn't like 'em and replaced them with a pair of peak-spoked Americans with 1 inch positive offset.

Attached Files:

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sure they weren't 14s? As far as I know, American only made the 14" round spokes in aluminum and they did have more offset than usual. Probably marketed for early Novas/ Chevy IIs.

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I have to rephrase that. Aluminum round spokes only in a 14".

8. mattrod68

mattrod68

team3wheels.com

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

I called Team 3. The lady doesn't speak English very well, but she really sounds like she knows what she is talking about. She said no matter what backspacing and rim width I get from them, Ill still have 3 inches from the bolt face to the outside rim lip. I'm needing to get to 2 inches (could go up to 2 1/2).

She said she would leave a message with Scott to call me.