Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this rear end worth saving? Ideas? what year range?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Aug 12, 2010.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine drug it out of the woods so all I have is a little time invested. Not sure what to do with it. What years did Ford make the wide five pattern? Was there a difference between the car and the truck rear ends? Not real familiar with these old rear ends....what would you do with it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. R Pope

R Pope

1936 to early 1939, cars and half-tons the same.

3. Ford offered the wide 5 configuration in 1936 and ended early 1939, mid 1939.

Could be worth something, depends on gear ratio. On the bottom of the axle, the top as shown, there should be a number stamped in the housing. Two numbers actually separated by a (-), those number represent the ring and pinion tooth counts. Divide the larger by the smaller and that is the gear ratio, providing that gear have not been changed. Gear ratios range from 3.23 : 1 all the way up to 5.13 : 1, I believe.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. Steps to determine value:

Determine gear ratio.
    Dis-assemble to determine what has been destroyed by water/rust.

5. Andy

Andy

It is either a 33-34 or late 32 rear with later brakes and wheels. I can't tell if the radius rods are mounted straight or angled. It is a keeper!

6. Weasel

Weasel

^^^ I was just thinking it looks like the rear on my '33. What is the bolt pattern on the side bells? If it's 9" it should be 1928-34. If it's 9-1/4" it may be 1935-39 with the wide 5 hubs.

7. I stand corrected and agree with the above posts, the axle is 32-34 with later 36-39 brakes installed. I really cant make out the mounts.

8. It's a 33-34 rear with the pinion bearing. 32-early 33 had strait mounted wishbones and a round end on the torque tube like a model A. Also no pinion bearing.
    The 33-34 had angled wishbone mounts (so the wishbones would be strait) and a star shaped torque tube like later rear ends. Someone put wide five drums on it.

That is a pretty desirable rear end, worth saving!!

9. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the info....I'm gonna take the wheels off and clean it up a bit. Prolly take it apart and take a lookie on the inside. It has been sitting for a looooong time. Ill take some more pics when I dig a little deeper. Thanks again.

10. rschilp

rschilp

Doesn't seem that desirable, I've been trying to sell a few for a while now and don't have any takers at any price. Just cut down one of the torque tubes to make lake headers out of :eek:

11. If I were closer I'd buy it. Just cuz no one local wants it don't make it un-desirable.

BTW, those torque tubes are just strait tubes, the 35-36 had the tapered tubes that everyone makes headers from

12. As far as I know, the wide 5 pattern was continued to the end of the '39 model year on Ford cars and pickups and Mercury. Every stock '39 Ford or Merc I ever saw had wide 5's. '39 Lincoln Zephyr changed to the 5 on 5 1/2" pattern like '40-'48 Ford cars.

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Ditto. I can't find one anywhere near me.

14. Andy

Andy

All 32's used the round torque end until very late in production. The change was to the star shaped flange and the supported pinion. The center section and the side bells also changed. The flange and bolt spacing is bigger on the later bells. Model A gaskets fit the early style and the late 32 and up are another gasket. The rears can be identified if you know what to look for. The 32-34 centers were narrower than the 35 up centers

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Everyone I have ... has a 9 inch Ford under them !!

:p :p

LOWFOMOCO ... see you at the cruise in Saturday evening :) :)

16. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Year Randy I should be there....Going to pick up another F1 tomorrow so I may be a bit late. See you there...