Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this Rad.worth buying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Sep 3, 2005.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

My daily beater a 73 Fury the rad. is fubar'd so i put the word out i need a new one on this C body Mopar forum i'm a member of,this dude says he has one from a 71 Fury and it holds water and will sell it to me cheap but i gotta ask you guy's opinion if this looks like its worth buying?[​IMG]

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I never buy used radiators unles it's from the radiator shop.......that looks exaclty like the one that had been swapped into the old pontiac I had, it was IN STOCK at advance auto and not all that expensive. Car ran super cool too.

3. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Yeah i don't think i'll waste my money on somthing that will most likely gimmie the same prob i had before so I'll check at my local auto parts joint and see how much they want for theirs.I'm asking for trouble trying to save a few lousy bucks with that ugly bastard rad. in the pic i posted. :rolleyes:

4. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Get the numbers off the top of yours and take em for crossing. I used to work at an Advance and the computer LIES.

5. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok i checked my local parts stores and they don't have shit on a new rad. for my Fury,since you guys have built oooooooold rides or oddball ones period what parts place could i go to to find a new rad.?any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Squablow

Squablow

I would consider just buying a universal style radiator from Jegs or Summit or some place like that and modifying the hole to make it fit if necessary. I guess Mustang radiators are availible for like $139, there's gotta be some cheap replacement radiator that's close to the size of your old one, and just modify to fit. That used one looks like shit, and recoring might be $350+

7. If the fins and tubes aren't rotton you should be able to pick it up cheap like $40-50 or less. Have it boiled and rodded out.

As long as the metal hasn't been thinned out too much and it flows well you are good.

I always hate the thick goopy paint radiator shops use so paint it yourself if it matters.

8. JayD

JayD

I think I'd pass on the one you pictured, unless it's cheap. Looks like alot of discoloration on the lower pass. side. Looks like it's been leaking to me. Maybe the seller would be willing to let a radiator shop check it out before you buy??

I think I'd be looking for a new one.

JayD

9. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

take some dimensions to a radiator wholesale shop(your dimensions),

and look through their books and match up dimensions.
    one that comes to mine that i have used on several
    older mopars is an "IR375".
    i believe it is a # that will cross reference,.

that radiator is in those books,prolly even at your radiator repair shop.
    be nice to 'em,they will let you look.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

See the blue/green color? In the radiator world it's the same as rust. Get enough of it and the radiator is gone.

Frank

11. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Do a search, not that long ago somebody posted a name of a place that had really cheap new radiators.

12. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Better pass, it looks used up. Looks an awful lot like a 60s-70s Ford pickup radiator.

13. jazzbum

jazzbum

that thing is shit. i guarantee if you had it pressure tested it'd be swiss cheese. get a universal one and forget about. you can get them pretty cheap through northern auto parts as i recall.