Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this Model A worth $4500?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brad2v, Aug 18, 2009.

1. brad2v

brad2v

I got a line on an early (brake lever on the left) '28 A coupe. The roof was cut off 40 plus years ago, it apparently runs, stops!, and is complete, save the roof, and rear bumpers. It has Pontiac taillights, and a '30 rad shell. It is also a rumble seat car. The car is not being advertised, I can probably get it for less, but not significantly less. View attachment 736043

View attachment 736044

View attachment 736045

2. solid

solid

3. $4500 Canadian? Yeah, that's pretty reasonable if it does indeed run and stop and the work in it is decent - it looks like it's been in that same spot since they cut the top off, though.

4. I'd try to get a better price on it...Looks like something from the old Andy Hardy movies.:eek:
    Murph

5. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

i think so, looks very solid.
    can never tell from pics tho

6. brad2v

brad2v

Yup,it's extremely solid, some rot in the lower parts of the rear inner fenders, but that looks like it. The work done on the roof removal is a little yucky though.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rust, no rust? How much of it do you intend to use? If you are looking to build a full fendered 28 A coupe it might be worth close to that but you still have to deal with the hacked off top but that is probably easier than dealing with a rusted out body.

It is near impossible even for the Model A guys to put a price on it without seeing detailed photos of all the sheetmetal, frame and if or if it doesn't have a drivetrain and what drivetrain. Four perfect or near perfect fenders might add quite a bit to the price while four cracked and crappy fenders would add no value. same for everything else. But only if you intend to use those parts or have a ready market for them.

Clear transferable title? That would be a big plus.

I'd say wave what you are honestly willing to pay for it in cash money large bills and see if he goes for it. Cash talks nonsense walks.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

if a coupe with the roof whacked off is what you're looking for, then it's probably worth it.

9. banjorear

banjorear

What you are describing is called an AR. They are early '28 Model A's. Some pretty specific parts hopefully are one it. One being the left side e-brake. Some say the AR fenders are different as well.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, you may be able to sell the specific AR parts and recoop a decent part of your purchase.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

How odd that the 28-29 radiator has a 30 shell shoved down over it and the steering column or wheel has been replaced with a 30-31 as well.
    I really don't understand the metal cover over the area where the seat back should be unless the stud who drove it was extremely short legged. Did you see if there are huge wooden blocks on the pedals?

I'd probably go for it but not for $4500, try $3500 or $2500.

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You have to ask yourself, what are going to do with the car? If you are looking for a stocker, something to tinker with and put together, then it's probably worth what they are asking for it. If you are looking for a body to build, this one's been whacked off, and you'll have to find the parts to fix it.

12. Am I the only guy who noticed the car is (apparently) in Alberta, Canada (or at least the OP is)? What's the exchange rate right now? That $4500 will probably translate to less in US dollars.

13. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

if it makes you happy and you wont feel disapointed about the price afterwards then pay whatever you have too! I would pay 10,000 if it made me happy and didnt regret paying so much. Its all personal

14. brad2v

brad2v

Yeah, I didn't really understand the metal cover either. No wooden blocks though. Thanks for noticing the steering wheel, I didn't. And to the rest of you, yes I'd like a full-fendered car, the fenders are good (not excellent). However, I'd like a coupe or a roadster, this car is no longer either, and would require extensive work to make it either one. Think I'll keep looking.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Offer the $2500 and leave him your # when you walk out. Remain polite. He'll probably call you up and take it.

16. Uptown83

Uptown83

ARs do have different fenders. but otherwise 4500US is outrageous for a coupster.

17. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

I think this guys got the right idea :D

18. brad2v

brad2v

It's $4500 cdn, but that's still about $4000 us. I tend to agree with you.

19. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Might not be worth it but you have to ask yourself this question. Where can I find another one for that price? Also look at it this way. Is it worth 4500? no, but it will be.

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm betting it was running, driving and stopping years ago when they parked it. No necessarily now. I tend to think it a bit much with the top lopped off.

The bigger question is though, how bad do you want it and what are the odds of finding another anywhere near you? Proximity can be worth a good bit of money.

21. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

Just paid $3700 for this with title and drove it on the trailer........

Attached Files:

22. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This looks like a good deal, but the real question is how many just like are there around for the same money? You might look around for several years and find none, or even one for that amount or less. The point is there aren't a lot of those cars around for sale; so whatever looks like a fair deal probably is.

23. George G

George G

Nope. Too much for a cut down.

24. shock

shock

I'm thinkin its a bit much.........show two grand cash and leave yer number when he says no.

Be polite.....I'm guessin you'll get a call in a month or so........show up and show em 1500 cash........I would not go higher than 2 grand.

25. solid

solid

even cut down the bodys worth $1500...he asked if this model a is worth $4500(it is)...you guys are telling him what you "wish" models a's were going for...not what they "are" going for in the present(non-fantasy world)time...

26. solid

solid

even needing repair panels, you got a super deal on a running,driving model a with a title. Thats a neat little ride. I would drive it just like that.

27. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

A coupe with the top whacked off never seemed to look right, and the piece welded over the package tray area...I'd save my $$$ or get a MUCH better price.

28. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Whenever I see something like that that "Runs and stops" or "Just needs a battery and gas" I tell them to run it to my place. I'll follow you, pay for it there after you sign over the title, and give you a ride back!:cool: