Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this hilborn set up for a pontiac?or olds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Feb 11, 2013.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

So i scored this from another hamber over the weekend.I was so stoked,untill i got home and found out it does not fit.Here is a pic of the setup with an Oldsmobile rocket 324 intake gasket placed over it.As you can see,it clearly does not fit.The ports line up,but that's it.The studs are in the wrong spot and the water inlets don't even come close.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I called hilborn today and talked to a very nice lady.I gave her the casting number and serial number and she found a hand written note from Mr. hilborn himself.I tried to quickly write down everything she said.but didnt catch everything.Shes going to scan the note and email it to me.
    She said it IS an olds setup according to they're paperwork,but its not.
    Check this link out:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1964-PONTIAC-389-421-HILBORN-FUEL-INJECTION-RARE-/170681134055
    Now check out the bottom of my setup:
    [​IMG]
    Notice these little circle imprints pressed into the gasket on my intake:
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?

2. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Definitely not an Olds..... Not sure what it is....

3. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

4. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Would you happen to have any early caddi intake gaskets laying around so we can compare?

5. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Ya know, those little circular imprints in the gasket might be a clue.

The larger holes on the ends with the O-ring groove were something that someone machined in there. Don't go by those.

So what's weird on this one is that the casting number is indeed for 303 Olds...

But it doesn't fit your 324?

Perhaps there's some differences between an early 303 head and a 324 head on the intake side?

Would be nice to know if there's a possibility of Hilborn releasing intakes out the door that were cast for one engine and maybe finished for a different engine?

Pat-- you should have made sure you wrote down everything the lady told you. Maybe that would have helped nail it down.

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Could be Pont.......wish I could see the underside of the linked one....

It's not a Caddy for sure...
    And it's not any of the 303/324/371 Olds ...the Int bolt patterns are all the same... Just different port sizes

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Yeah those circle imprints should tell someone something.

She said she would email me the note.She didnt.ill call and bug tomorrow.

8. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

What do you mean underside of the linked one?The ebay link?scroll over.he has a pic of the underside.

9. there is no difference between 303 and 324 as far as bolt holes on the intake side.

10. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I'm on my phone I couldn't get the other views....opened it another way.... That's same pattern....yours just doesn't have the one bolt hole drilled.....Pont it is

11. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thanks bro.Now i need to find a pontiac engine.lol

12. here is an olds piece. not the best pics, sorry

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      237.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      322.3 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      331.8 KB
      Views:
  13. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thank you.Do you think that possibly my setup was for the rocket and someone cut it down?

14. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Those pics ain't gonna help so much, his has the 303-O-8 casting number which is for the 303 early Olds. And the '57-up 303-O-8A ('57-8 371) and 303-O-8B ('59-60 371 and '59-64 394) Hilborn castings will have the extra hump to clear the larger intake ports, as is visible in those pics. But they obviously didn't cast the 303 Olds intake that way.

But I just looked at some intake gaskets on eBay.... and I'm going to say that if you are looking at the '55-60 or so Pontiac engines, you're getting hot now....

So, should I assume it was cast for 303 Olds but then finish-machined for early Pontiac?

15. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Buddysyard, what is the casting number on yours that's in that picture? (Is that yours?)

Pat, does it look like anything was ground off the sides right where the intake ports are?

16. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

did they do that sorta thing?

17. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

nOPE

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yup looks like the poncho in the link

[​IMG]

19. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I have a sneakin' suspicion I know what those handwritten notes are gonna say...

Pat, looks like you have a rare piece of PONTIAC history there.... a prototype Hilborn setup, made off an Olds 303 casting, before Hilborn ever offered anything specifically for a Pontiac V8.... I mean, you can see that they didn't ever drill it for 303 Olds, even though that's what the casting was for.

That's actually really cool in itself! A prototype Pontiac Hilborn setup. Don't know if that's going to float your boat the same, though.

You might be able to get a profit on that one from the right Pontiac collector...

20. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

wow that would be cool if was a prototype..And you're right,it wasnt drilled for an olds...how strange.

no,it didnt come with a pump or barrel valve.

21. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Would be interesting to see the name of the original owner. Might be someone famous like Mickey Thompson for all you know....

A famous name and a copy of the original paperwork would up its value!

If you do decide to just get a Poncho engine and run it, it would probably be easier and cheaper than trying to do the same with an early Olds. Something to consider.

22. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yeah maybe.The original owners name is somthing like Jerry massy from Birmingham Alabama.Im not sure of the spelling.i haven't seen the note yet.

23. 30panel

30panel

Hey Patrick
    See how I got crossed up thinking the dual quad set was a rare Nicson manifold for a Pontiac.
    Like some one said here could be a major mod for a particular application.
    You could try the guys at Best gaskets or like I did once on some 413 headers I needed to ID went to one of the gasket vendors at March meet which is coming up.
    Sorry my early Pontiac stuff is all gong. Wallace has some info on the Pontiac's. Hilborn is your best shot.
    Mike

24. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yeah for sure.

I still didn't get the email with the copy of the note,but hopefully ill get it tomorrow..

The lady did say something about Jerry Massey of Birmingham Alabama was the orginal owner..

I found an old post on a closed thread.Check it out:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174989&page=388

its page 388 post number 7754.posted by "k9racer"

he mentions something about Jerry Massey of Birmingham Alabama,but not much info.

25. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Was just curious if the records say what year they sold it to the original owner.

26. Check a 59 394 gasket.

27. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

No, it's most definitely not 371 or 394 Olds. Pretty sure we got it nailed as a 303 Olds Hilborn casting that was actually finished to fit early Pontiac V8. Likely a prototype Pontiac piece, the very first one even, and that may well be evidenced by the #101 serial number (which is what Hilborn started their serial number runs with).

There's some crazy stuff you encounter in this hobby!

28. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yeah youre right.When i told the lady the serial number,she kinda giggled and said "well yeah,that would be number one".

29. 303-0-8a

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      176.4 KB
      Views:
  30. yes, blownolds i own it. i would be happy to part with it for 850.00. and thats losing my ass on it. but then again this is my hobby, and not a profit deal... right.