Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this Ford made in Argentina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travelrobbb, Feb 27, 2014.

1. travelrobbb

travelrobbb

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If it's in Argentina, it is almost certainly an American manufactured RHD Ford with regular US Ford serial like "AF-#####", with the F denoting RHD for that particular sales area. Ford had a plant in Argentina but I do not really know what degree of assembly they did, whether the cars were shipped just slightly knocked down, as loose parts, or whether they received lots of parts and ran a real assembly line. In any case, Engine would be from Rouge plant, and I think the exporting and any assembly accomplished in USA was done from NJ plant.
    Car is a '29 Phaeton with some minor parts swapping done over the years.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bruce, I have been told that the Ford products were shipped in a Knock down state and reassembled in Argentina until the mid thirties when further assembly techniques such as body assembly, etc. were implemented down there. As far as I know, Ford pulled out about the time World War II started getting hot and heavy due to Argentina's Swiss like stand of not taking sides. I recently saw a documentary on this, about Henry Ford's attempt to build a utopian city down there, and I believe that the assembly/reassembly plant was to be the center piece of this city...

4. ventilo

ventilo

Ford started assembly in Argentina in 1916. But since Argentina (as most of South-America) is a left hand drive market I doubt this vehicle was assembled there.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

5. Argentina was RHD until WW2, switching to LHD right after the war.

Steve

mercjoe likes this.