Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this car worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, May 18, 2012.

1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I forgot to take a pic yesterday but I can get one on Monday. It's a '61 Impala 2dr post. (not a biscayne or bel air) It's missing some stuff like the motor/trans/ a door, front seat, etc. but I can get those parts thrown in when I get the car. Needs a few patches in the tyipical places like the driver floor and trunk pan but is fairly solid otherwise. The price is $800. You guys think it's worth messing with? I've actually been looking for a Biscayne post, but the Impala 2dr post was a one year thing in '61 so it's kinda unique.

2. Txkahuna

Txkahuna
    from Texas

Go for it....

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I hope it isn't red!

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Not a bad price at all around here. Ive seen a 4 door in the same shape you've described go for 600$.

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

double or triple that around here.

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I would buy it in a minute. I have a 61 bubble top but always liked the look of the 2dr post cars.

7. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I would if it has a clear title

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

That's a little more than 1/10 of what it would take to get my spt cpe...

9. squirrel

squirrel

I'm thinking the same thing about mine, but mines a belair, which is also kind of hard to find.

10. X2

Pics would help but if the frame is good all the way around I'd go for it. Hell whatever engine it would have had either would have needed to be gone through or you wouldn't like it anyway. So not having an engine isn't a negative in this case.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Engine and tranny are easy...seat maybe not so much, buckets are tho...800 is cheap...if it's not completely rusted...

R-

12. I've always liked that roofline. I passed on one (Silver w/ Red Gut) for free about 25 years ago and have kicked myself ever since. Just one of my many, many dumbass moves!

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

If as you described grab it....just check out the frame first...
    Good luck, and post some pictures "When you Grab It" !!
    Cheers....

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree that it would be worth the money if it had a title and the frame was solid.

That model of Chevy is prone to rust in a lot of places so expect some rust in the floorboards and trunk.

15. squirrel

squirrel

they also rust in the rocker panels....

16. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm gonna go and look again Monday, I have a front clip and a couple different motors that I could use. It's a friend of mine so I can get him to throw in the extra parts that it needs. I just don't have a trans, which is always the hard part to find. The frame shouldn't be an issue, were talking southern Mo. / northern Arkansas here so it's pretty much a desert around there. I deal with a lot of 55-64 Chevy's and they always rust in the same places, the basic rust in the floors and trunk are to be expected, I just don't want to deal with the hard to reach areas like inner wheel wells and rockers, that's a major pain in the ass. $800 is a little more than I would usually give for something like this, but I might just do it because I alway wanted a blue '61 Chevy 2dr post and thats what this is. I can get the correct seats, door, etc. for it no problem so thats not an issue.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  17. RayMiller

RayMiller

I'd buy it for sure! Go for it

18. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

It sounds like a catch. If there is not too much cancer and the frame is straight then I'd say it is a deal.

I'd like a picture just for the sake of seeing this car.

19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

You ain't bought it yet ?
    B.B.

20. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I've got a lot of other cars and parts to deal with buying and selling, working on saving a whole bunch of old stuff right now so I have to consider each one very thoroughly to make sure I can save as many cars as possible. He doesn't want to advertise and have a buch of extra people at this place, so the only way these cars and parts are getting saved is by me buying and re selling them.

21. I would want to give it a good look but 800.00 isn't bad. I got more than that for my '62 Bisquit and it was a rust bucket.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

One year only for Impala 2 dr sedan. I'd get it for that reason alone. Go for it!

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

Mine too...

24. sounds like a good deal to me

25. Dog dish
    Hee is something thqat hasn't been mentioned although you have touched on it slightly. Do you like the car or is it just one of those this is a rare car things.

The reason I mention it is that I have purchased quite a few cars over the years because they were rare and then thought why in the hell did I do that.

I never purchase a project based on color paint can be changed. A transmission is a simple part to find the condition of the car and desire to own it are the important things to consider.

26. outlaw256

outlaw256

benno is right, ive done the same thing. but a 61, man they are a good lookin car!!

27. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

id scoop it up in a heatbeat if it were around here....

28. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I've been wanting a '61 2dr post for a long time. The thing is that I would eventually have to part with it though, I can't be buying cars just to keep and need to turn 'em over once I get them fixed up. It's a hobby, a passion and business for me so I have to buy cars that I like enough to keep me motivated but not cars that i like so much that I can't part with them at the end of the day.

29. 61 chevy

61 chevy

thats a steal, for any 2 door impala

30. mikeallcars

mikeallcars