Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is This Bad? '50 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ef bomb, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Hi guys
    I've been a lurker on this site from time to time as I finished my previous project because I knew I wanted to do a 50 Ford custom next.
    I kept an eye on Craigslist in the area for a little bit and a real gem popped up. Actually it's not a gem. At all. That's ok though I can't bring myself to cut up a decent car.
    I would have to guess it was 'built' in the early 80's. It has been clipped (poorly) and features a SBC with an iron Q jet intake, a 10 bolt and I'm guessing a TH350. The interior was red and grey velveteen and features a sweet Caddy steering wheel, that might go up for sale stay posted!
    Of course, as these things go, the more I dig into it the worse it gets but I knew going into this project my meager metal work skills will be stretched and grow.
    Can someone tell me what caused rust under the back side windows and at the b pillar?
    2014-09-12_13-16-10_9.jpg 2014-09-12_13-16-18_186.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    57Custom300 likes this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

3. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Lol 49! Come on it's late here and my first time!

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That was a 50 Ford.

Here is a tip for saving time and money. Go to the bank and draw out about 4 thousand dollars. On the way home drive real fast. When you reach about 70 mph throw the money out the window. Next remove whats viable from that hulk like, say the ash tray then scrap it to recoup some of your investment.

That's a parts car, simple as that.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Get a body hammer with a pick on the back end of it. Walk around the car and any place that had a small blister in the paint or pinholes in the metal.... tap it with the hammer. You will be amazed at the amount of rust holes that are "almost" there when one gets that bad. There are too many floating around yet to have a need to attempt reviving one that bad. The more you cut away to repair something, the worse it will get.

6. Easy to say that down south. They don't grow on trees up here. Who knows why it rotted there, but it's up to you to decide if you want to learn to make and weld up patch panels to fix it.

patmanta likes this.
  7. relhaopyla

relhaopyla

There are too many floating around yet to have a need to attempt reviving one that bad.
    [​IMG]

8. U-235

U-235

that is a new one...have Never seen rust like that before. Not only is your floor gone , but I notice the bottoms of your door are too....abandon it as parts only and find a better one.

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You might call around and see if a trade school would want to take it on as a project for students to learn fabrication and welding.

10. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

It's abit hard to see in the pics, but it looks as if it's rusted from the outside in. So maybe that particular part of the car was left in bare metal for some time before being painted over, who knows.

11. Well, at least you don't have to look around for a parts car.. ya got one right there...

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

13. white64

white64
    from Maine

Gee... looks like a Maine car, it's what we have up here, and in the world of lobster, pine trees and Christmas lights on trailer homes year-round, that looks about normal! Concentrate on one area at a time, looking at the whole project at this point will seem overwhelming, break it down into smaller projects. And each time you complete one you will be that much closer. And THAT is my kumbayah moment for the day....

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Awful shape even for this Ohioian. Yes these cars are cool and still a plenty. Many are in very good shape. I would save the parts and move on to a better body. You have a money pit big time there.

brokenspoke likes this.
  15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That car have a great potential....to be a parts car.
    You guys have a lot of cars that are in better shape in there,so why pick up the crappiest one as a project car?

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I knew going into this project my meager metal work skills will be stretched and grow."

Along with it being "poorly clipped" are two big red flags.

Did you chip/grind away bondo and paint that were covering that beltline damage? I've seen rust buckets rusted up to the door sills, but that is extreme, especially considering the door jamb. Maybe years of snow drifts piled up against these panels?

At any rate, the body looks too far cancered to save. The chassis sounds like a butcher job too.
    Shop for a new one and take along a car knowledgeable friend to look at the car before you buy.

17. That floor doesn't look as bad as mine when I started, but that rust up near the windows is a new one to me. My parts car was in way better shape than that one and I picked it up for $350. I'm with the guys who say cut anything usable out of this one and find another, but you've already got floors and some patch panels in one of your pics, so I'm thinkin' you're going to tackle it. Guys on here have tackled a lot worse.

18. Fender1325

Fender1325

I really hate to see a car be condemned to be a parts car. Ive seen guys take worse then that and make it great, but they were excellent metal fabricators.

19. clem

clem

Welcome to the HAMB. that is if you are not put off by some of the replies to your questions. Best advice shown in this quote!

willbe likes this.
  20. clem

clem

not sure how this quote is helpful to you.

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You could patch it back up to driver/project status and send it on down the road after driving and enjoying it a while or follow through with the build if the rest of the car isnt as bad as the pics or if it is and you still want to build it rite anyway you could buy another car and put the 2 together to make 1, therefore you will never hafta label this one a parts car:D

I would hate to see one we couldnt save here on the HAMB:D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  22. txturbo

txturbo

Yep......that's pretty rough. We rarely see them that bad down here in SE Texas. I think I would have passed on that one. Is that body filler on that Quarter? If so, it was probably repaired poorly and maybe the body filler soaked up moisture before it was sealed with paint.

23. big M

big M

That belt line rust is usually from one of two things-

The car spent time along the coast, and the salt air corrosion set in. The other is when moss grows thick and holds moisture behind it.
    Like someone mentioned, use a body pick to determine if there are other areas where the rust is ready to come through, as this type of rust often comes through from the inside out.

---John

24. I saw the two photos, is the whole car that bad? The floor is not that bad, look at it this way, if it has alot of small holes or it is just one big hole, you still have to replace the complete floor. now the quarter panel is another story, If it is just that area, maybe you could get a replacement quarter.

Question is how is the rest of the car?

Schwanke Engines likes this.
  25. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Agreed on the floor, if you look close the bottom of the door is rotted away, this really looks like a car that has alot of rust from salt. If you search for 41 Ford Rusty rebuild, or something like that. I guy re-did a 41 Ford that was rusted worse then this. He probably spent more on wire and steel then a decent shell would cost.

40fordtudor likes this.
  26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those cars were pretty tough in even stock form, but this? I would be concerned about structural integrity.
    With the pillar compromised that bad, what else is simply iron oxide molecules holding hands? Panel replacement is one thing but what are you attaching it too.

Imagine that car in a rollover even if it is somewhat repaired. I see a red could of rust, frame goes one way, most of the body goes another...occupants in between.

Unless the OP is prepared for a complete structural reconstruction, this is a parts car.

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You cant save, dead.

28. Eric H

Eric H

They will start to decay in odd areas if they sit in a wet area too long. Especially if they have windows still. I bought a 51 Victoria for parts that was parked in a low area back in 77, I was able to pull the dash out wit one hand. Anything can be fixed and repairing this one will leave you with much improved metal working skills. Don't give up if you don't want to.

29. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Fellas I knew it was a huge project when I put down the cash, I do find myself shaking my head though!
    I live in central Indiana so I probably don't have the options you south and west guys do. The two pics that were small enough to load were the worst of what I've seen (so far) and the poorly clipped comment was mostly from the bubble gum welds holding the different generations together. The car was a decent price and included some new shiny pieces and a complete if hideous interior and all good glass.
    My meager metal skills include fabricating new floors, smooth rear valance, motor and trans mounts etc for my LS powered Datsun 280z. More importantly than that I'm unmarried with no kids ;)
    When I figure out how to shrink some of the other photos I'll get them put up.

30. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I always try to start with the nicest sheet metal available. You have got your work cut out for you for sure.