Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeyesmen, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I know how this deal works.:rolleyes:
    Then the next month comes a Model A, then a Model T, then a Duesenberg, then a Klubelwagon, then a Sherman Tank ect ect.
    Don't do it! or You'll have a freakin car in a crate showing up every month for life.o_O

2. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

$13,000

3. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Pretty much says it all......

LynnW

4. clem

clem

didn't your last statement answer your opening question ?

5. clem

clem

His English is far too good for a Dutch person.
    This is not an offensive remark, but an observation.

6. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Having spent a lot of time there I can tell you many Dutch people speak English far better than a lot of Brits. I almost couldn't find anyone that couldn't speak it fluently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_in_the_Netherlands

PS: 5 pages to determine whether this is a scam....?

1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. ..................Probably better than many Americans.:D:eek:

leadfootloon likes this.
  8. clem

clem

Re post 126,
    Re your wikipedia reference ..... Just because 90 to 93 % claim to be able to converse in English, doesn't mean that they can speak it fluently.
    Just because they speak it better than a lot of 'Brits' doesn't negate my original comment.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  9. indyjps

indyjps

I frequently arrange large shipments, 2 weeks ocean freight from the Netherlands is BS, and I know he's not flying it over.

Tell him to ship it, see what happens. Don't send money under no circumstance.

10. it is way past scam and now it is all about fun.

We don't speak English we speak American English it is a regional dialect. Here is the deal, when someone uses a translator or translation software the syntax is wrong. That said unless someone learned English in the US or from a US speaker the syntax will also be wrong. So if you are corresponding with a foreigner and their English sounds good to you as In what you are accustomed to hearing as opposed to formal English IE the proper colloquialisms and etc. it is one of two things they either have lived here long enough to get it from or they learned English from an American instructor or they are actually from here.

Perhaps a simpler way to say it is that perfect American English is just as suspect as broken English.

How this will probably work if they are stealing cash instead of identity is this, there will be a glitch and some money will have to be forwarded that will be taken from the full price upon delivery. it will probably not be too big but it will have to be big enough to make wages. You will send it via western union to wherever (the Netherlands in this case) the receiver will need to know the routing number (there is a different name for that but it is basically a routing number) in order to redeem the cash. With that number they can go to any western union office any place in the world and collect, even right up town from where you are at. In some African countries they depend on also having security questions that way they can use a fictitious name and not have to provide proof of identity.

Hmmmmmnnnn makes me sound like a scammer right? well I do have a piece of paper I would like you to sign, if you could get two witnesses or a notary that would even be better. :rolleyes:

clem likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

And, New Zealanders :)

12. Looking forward to this thread daily.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

like a train wreck

14. Buy your tickets now, it's gonna happen.

15. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Forget wikipedia, I lived there. Many of them do speak it fluently. I take your point about Brits though...some of us at least.

16. I love these kind of threads. Sometimes they get real fun, and you don't have to know a damned thing to post on one.

My step mom's family was mixed from different parts of the island, part of them are cockney (sp?) and damned if I can ever figure out a damned thing they are saying. :eek: One of them shares a first and middle name with me ( how messed up is that) and he cannot call the states that he doesn't find a way to try and talk with me. I now that he can speak understandably but he just enjoys screwing with me, last time we spoke the only thing I understood for about the first 5 minutes of our conversation was "speak English please."

1927graham and wex65 like this.
  17. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

You don`t want to look, but you just can`t help it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

What if this is a stolen car still in the states? He does not say the title in his name. Get a picture of the vin and run it through the NICB vincheck.

clem likes this.
  19. Or get pics of the car and google it. It may even be a car that someone else is selling. Another common scam.

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Read post #98

21. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

So this becomes a game like they play on the 419 site......get the scammer to commit to investing his money in the shipping and leave him holding the bag. You need to be able to (1) get him to ship the car without any commitment on your part (a nod and a wink maximum, no signatures) and (2) absolutely no personal information given to him other than a bogus local ship to address. The burner phone is good idea too. Thus, if he ships the item and it is real, not stolen, etc., you have the ability to view it and accept it if it is real. IF it is bogus OR he tries the "help, send money" routine, you simply go into ignore mode. But then, it aint going to happen.....no person (other than our government) would promise to send you something with no commitment.

22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I am under the impression some of you guy actually think " the car" exists

Post a photo of this so called 13k 32 ford I will bet you can find a hamber who knows the car

Steel 32 ford circles are relatively small ...
    .. I would wager that some one here knows the real story on the real car you have pictures of. ... And the real owner probably has no idea it's forsale for 13k

Or ... You can keep pretending ... And enjoy the fairy tale

clem and Travis T like this.
  23. Well said my friend. :cool:

24. pitman

pitman

Beano, one may ask..."have you taken complete leave of your senses?"
    and, after stepping out of your motor-car; "This may require a change of linens!" ;)

25. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

OK guys, I am chickening out. A couple HAMBers have PM'd me with info that leaves no doubt that it's a scam, including a few really helpful guys overseas (thanks guys) and one guy who guessed his name and had the same experience trying to buy a 62 Corvette for 15,800. The emails were even worded the same. (He chickened out, too.)

Also as someone had suggested, I did reverse image searches on the photos he sent me and they did not appear elsewhere on the Internet. He even sent some pics of the underside of the car after I requested them. Between that and parts of his story (the cost of registering, etc) I was maybe 20% hopeful at first. even after it became clear it was a scam, I was going to see how far it could play out, but the more I thought about it . . . who really knows what these guys can do to you, with just a little info. I would rather not find out. (Shit, last year I had someone in China "hijack" my company's website by scamming someone at Network Solutions -- luckily I found out about it before the domain name was sold -- and then good luck trying to re-acquire it.)

See the original ad (below.) It's an obscure ad I found while googling American Graffiti stuff the other day. It is listed as a 1970 used car, that's why I first thought it might be some clueless guy not knowing the actual value of a real steel 32 Ford. Was surprised when the guy said he was in Holland, considering the ad says Texas.

Not really wild about owning a Milner coupe clone, but a Henry steel deuce 5 window for 13K sounds kinda tempting, you have to admit. Could always paint it black.

Glad you all could be entertained by my scheming and shenanigans. And don't let this stop you from dreaming of scoring a great car for a bargain price -- sometimes it happens. I know a guy that bought a late 1950's gullwing Mercedes for $3,000 a few years ago. (Not kidding about that. It was owned by some rich kid who had died and his mom was selling off his possessions.)

Joe

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 12.56.57 PM.png

26. LOL I saw that car yesterday here on the HAMB it belongs to a fella down in Florida. And the ad says that it is in texas not the netherlands:D :D

You could have saved us a lot of time had you posted the pic up front.

read this for a review of the site it is Turkish owned by the way. They did get a pretty high rating but when you look at the info it is not any place that I would send my money.

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/getusedcar.net

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  27. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Thank god, this thread can finally die. I'm glad nobody got hurt.

clem likes this.
  28. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

It was touch and go there for a while...

clem likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wonder if the tractor in the background is for sale as well?o_O

30. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

What a bummer.
    I was rooting for an honest deal.
    Hope the scammer gets his comeuppins!

Thread Status: