Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeyesmen, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

leadfootloon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's a scam Joe........ who in the right mind would ship any car over seas , that is NOT in the their name, so legally they don't own it , so WHO REALLY would you be buying it from ? Who would you send money to ? The car is NOT in his name !
    On top of that......Handling by guys from a shipping company this guy overseas doesn't know squat about to deliver to your door at HIS expense , so you can view it and decide if you want to buy it ?

Be serious..........

In your very first post you stated - " What do you guys think? Please weigh-in with your opinion. It looks like a nice car at a bargain price -- seems almost too good to be true. Which means it usually is. "

Your first two sentences on your first quote at the top and your last sentence of your last quote is your answer Joe.........

lothiandon1940 and tmfcracing like this.
  3. Joe,

It has been asked before - where did you see this advertised for sale or how did you
    come to hear about it being available to buy ?

It is a good question - I don't think it is being asked for any other reason as to help
    determine whether the car deal is real or not.

If I were selling a car - I would not have a problem providing a phone number
    to a prospective Buyer - especially if I had raised the issue of talking on the phone
    as the Seller ...

If you can't get a phone number for the Seller I would not pursue this any further.

Jim

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

searching for the exit...

5. scarylarry

scarylarry

Lucky for you, nobody in the Netherlands is interested in buying a 32 Ford.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Until the seller asks for some money how can this be a scam? I think we're all suspicious because the whole scenario doesn't make sense. There's no one who would ship you a car for you to inspect at their expense. There's got to be more to come. Is there a Netherlands in Nigeria?

Gary

7. My wife was in banking for years and she'd come home telling me some of the scams the customers would come in with. This one isn't even close to as good as some I've heard.

8. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I think it is a scam too -- don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to understand how the scam works. And if the guy is really willing to have a steel 32 Ford delivered to my house, so I can examine it and decide whether I want to buy it for 13 grand -- well it's tempting to let him. I'm not planning on giving him any info other than address and phone number, or sending any money.

I think we all dream of scoring a Holy Grail car for a bargain price. It's what these guys prey on.

By the way, I had a cop friend run the VIN number he supplied, and it does not come up valid.

9. I don't sell them but there is a guy down the street from me between towns that does restorations himself everything is priced accordingly. He does not currently have any '32s closest to '32 he has is a '29 Model A Convertible. It is listed as a #3 condition and is mechanically sound can be drove anywhere. He was asking $22,929 but he recently reduced the price down to $19,925.

That you mention it he recently listed a '49 Packard Convertible. I8 engine, 3spd on the tree, power windows and working original radio. Top is listed as excellent condition with minor fraying around some of the edges. Currently asking $24,900 for it and it looks very nice from the pictures.

The '53 Ford Customline 4dr that he has with the original flathead engine that he was asking $8,953 was recently reduced down to $6,953. Might be adding a Customline to my stable if he comes down another $1,000.

trulyvintage likes this.
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd get a burner [prepaid throw away] phone and give him that number. No way I'd give him my real cell number. No telling what hackers can do with just your number nowadays...

12. I was with him until he said that he could only sell it out of country. Sounds fishy to me but what do I know.

13. pitman

pitman

Perhaps your 'info' would serve as a base for other operations?

14. It is serving me well now, I have been bucks down for a while. :D :D

I had someone wanting to ship computers to me and have me ship them overseas for them a while back.

I contacted the local gustaple who put me in with the local FBI office and the fella on the other end of the phone told me that all that was needed to take out a loan in my name was my addy and full name, from that they could get my B day and they were in there like swimwear.

15. Budget36

Budget36

And how does a 20K Model A, look like a sub 15K '32?

He may be priced right...no issues, but I think you are not playing on the same field as many here are.

Please PM me when you find a running and driving '32 Ford as the OP has described, for under...aw heck...I'll give up a few more bucks...say 20K?

16. pitman

pitman

Yeah Beano, fencing...without a sword!

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

On the fourth page...If OP insists [or others] that what can it hurt to proceed then do as in post #101..If ya get burnt don't post here, but if you make out by all means tell every one how dumb we are..Best I can say..

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The scam will work like this: As many have said, the deal will change. It will not change much. Likely he will call you saying the car is stuck in customs or something has happened with the shipper etc. It will not cost very much money to fix, so he will off to send you some funds, maybe even a $100 to $250 so you can fix it state side on his behalf. Then what ever account you deposit the funds in, he will drain immediately.

19. It's 2015, soon to be 2016 guys. People can do things with computers you would not believe. Get the phone number of someone you know and go do a reverse look up on the number. You can get name and address JUST from that. From there, go to google earth. Wanna see your house and belongings from satellite? Case someones house from space..... That's the EASY stuff. I cant even GUESS what some of the hackers out there can do.

20. mike bowling

mike bowling

Shoot me, please.

21. Yes it's a scam, and yes it's time for you to move on....

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

LOL...

23. This isn't even a good scam......

24. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Address and phone number is too much info, more than a scamer/ hacker needs.

25. I don't think Clark Howard would like this.o_O

26. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I agree with ClayMart and Gary Reynolds. Why would he risk the shipping expense if you could just simply say "No" when it arrives on your doorstep. Isn't there a tax on this transaction? Who pays that. I'm betting that he's going to be asking for something more. Or maybe the upholstery is full of cocaine and he'll have the car stolen from you as soon as you buy it. I dunno....just something very fishy here. But the coolest thing would be if you went ahead with the deal and then told all of us how it went down!!!

27. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I Googled "Netherlands Scam Car" and didn't find much but this web site is worth looking at...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/fraudwarnings.asp
    As presented, it seems like the seller is taking too big a risk to do this honestly. If he is honest, there are a lot of guys on this side of the pond who would renegotiate the price downward upon the car's arrival, even if they loved the car, figuring that the seller would at least be willing to reduce the price by the return shipping cost. You'd really have the guy over a barrel once the car gets here, and I don't think a smart seller would allow himself to get into that position.

28. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Maybe I missed it but I don't see the offering price for the car.

29. 5window

5window

I am looking forward to the VERY FIRST HAMB post entitled "Is this a Scam?" where the verdict is No. However, even as a non-smoker, I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  30. I'm liking this thread, fun stuff!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.