Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Seems like a tough call, but looks like the consensus is this is likely a scam.

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

YUP!!! Cash in hand!!

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

eBay has seen this scam for years. Just give eBay the buyers phone number and they will be able to match it up with all the other scams he has tried to pull. He's trying to collect personal information from you, nothing more. eBay works with the FBI all the time on these things.

I usually tell these people that I would like to meet them in person ASAP.:cool:

4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Scam cancel him out and resale it on Evil bay, also report him to Evil bay

5. only sure way to get a deal done right ............... only sell on the hamb to hambers with high posts and good reps :) there the only ones that will appriciate the car your selling in the first place .

6. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Cash only.
    Have him meet you at the bank and give the
    cash only to the cashier directly to deposit
    In your account. If it is counterfeit then
    The bank will catch it there. If not
    then all done and good.
    Also, then the buyer knows the cash is in the
    Bank. Not in your house etc = you avoid a burglary, robbery, or home invasion that night or weekend.

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Whatever you do, don't fall for the a-hole sorry for an over payment but send me back the difference BS. And don't give out any personal info they can use to steal your identity or normal bank accounts info. As mentioned, set up a temporary account just for this one transaction and then close it when done.

8. Zykotec

Zykotec

Doesn't everyone use paypal these days?, and if so, isn't paypal kinda safe? Unless they too only protect the buyers rights, like some say Ebay do ....

9. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Yep, even if it's a cashier cheque they can still cancel later on and get their money back AND keep your shit.

Scotty.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think Paypal is somewhat protected, but I had a strange one a few months ago. I sold something on Ebay for a few hundred bucks and the guy paid via Paypal, but it was not the usual immediate payment Paypal I had seen before. He evidently wrote Paypal a check or gave them his checking account info and they debitted the account. BUT, Paypal advised us NOT to ship until they notified us it had cleared and that it would take 10 days, I think. Paypal calls this type of transaction an "echeck".

I notified the guy and he said no problem, ship it when it clears, but then after a week he was asking if we had shipped it yet. I reminded him that we would not until Paypal confirmed it was a done deal. Long story short, the confirmation finally came through from Paypal and we did ship.

I just never knew Paypal had any other deal than the instant payment thing.

Don

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Cash or postal money order works for me

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

This isn't hard. If the buyer wants to pick up the car immediately, have the friend bring cash to hand you. The buyer can send his friend the phoney check, but tell him that you want real cash.

13. mynode

mynode

Tell him to make the cashier's check out to his friend and have his friend cash it at his bank and bring the cash to you.
    Problem solved - unless he's trying to screw you.

14. The Rod God

The Rod God

Mary here, Norm's niece, had that happen years ago when I was selling a Stallion. They actually sent the cashier's check for $8000 which included a small shipping fee that I was supposed to pay, HA. Got on the Internet and looked up the Bank it was drawn on and found a posted scam alert from the actual Bank. Called the bank and it was fraudulent, the check, not the bank. They suggested I deposit the check so the bank could have the evidence. Alas, check was no good. But I still had my Stallion...Go with your gut....

15. I have a search on e-bay for old Fords from 26 to 53. There will be this ten point car with only a few pictures. I will contact the seller for more pictures. He will send me an e-mail stating he wants a fast transaction and he can no longer drive the car. The price is about 1/3 of what the car is worth. They usually say they will pay the shipping costs.
    The car no longer appears on e-bay. The scam is no longer reportable to e-bay. The license plate is usually blacked out. This happens about three or four times a year.

I have not gone beyond the request for more pictures.

I wish they were legitimate because I would have some really nice old cars for almost nothing.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd rather take a personal check than paypal. the rule is never accept paypal for more money than you would care to lose to scammers.

17. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Definitely a scam! A few years ago, I got a call that I was in the final 3 for a drawing on a new Tahoe truck...being I had just bought a new Silverado, I thought this might be legit so I listened to the pitch expecting what was next - - send me a 5K deposit totally refundable after the final drawing! I immediately told the guy - "I've got a better deal than that for you - deliver the new Tahoe to my driveway and I'll give you $15,000 in cash!" He immediately hung up.

Another good one - I had a friend from Arkansas that would tell the scammers "I'm real interested in your deal - but you'll have to contact me tomorrow cause I'm right in the middle of a bankruptcy auction!" He never heard from any of the callers again!!:cool:

18. have him write the check to cash take it to the bank and cash it, hand over the title and walk away. Only way top have a check written for a deal.

19. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Cash talks bullshit walks sounds too shady for me tell him sure pickup point is at your bank once check is cashed and money in hand

20. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

if he was honest youd have cash by now

21. Since it was three months ago I imagine it's all done by now either way!

22. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I hate the bull ish off the internet sometimes! I make big cash exchanges face to face and make sure the handle of my 9mm is showing. Its sad the world came to this but it is what it is. Sory about the scam sale

23. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

I feel the same as everyone else, so what happened?? Did you tell him to eat it?

I had a guy on cl who said he couldn't call me because he was deaf and wanted me to send him money for a fake car. Lol

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

This is pretty simple. If his friend is bringing the check, then have him write the check to his friend, let the friend cash it, and have the friend bring the cash. If he trusts his friend with his car, he ought to trust him with the check and cash to give to you.

25. slim tempo

slim tempo

Let the Russian police take care of him good!

Attached Files:

26. voodoo1

voodoo1

Almost 3 months later and this is still going on? Mike