Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this a Ross steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedwagen, Mar 1, 2010.

1. This is the steering box in a sprint car that I am redoing to drive on the street. I thought it was a Ross box, but the recent pics I've seen of Ross Steering Boxes dont look like this one.

:confused: What kind of box do you think it is? :confused:

[​IMG]

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

doesnt look like any of the ross boxes i have or seen.

3. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

I think it is a Ross box, if you look up on top there should be two v shaped bumps that look like gun sites and it should say Ross on top. The two tubes are custom made and are not stock items. the inside is just a steel pin that followes in a worm gear, no bearings around the worm except front and rear.
    dwrfab Don Ross

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll check my Lyndwood, looks like a Crosley box.

5. I believe Crosley's used Ross boxes

6. I found a post from the late Johnny Fast that showed a Box from a Crosley in his racer.
    It looks a lot like the one on my car.
    Now I need to find some parts to rebuild it, I'm fighting "Death Wobble" and the box slop can't be helping any

[​IMG]

7. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Not much to rebuilding it. Take it apart count the ball bearings on each of the worm gear. Go to bearing house and get new bearing balls. Check out the folower and make sure it is not bottoming in the worm. dress up any bad flat spots that could cause a bind. Press the seal and bushing out of the case and machine or find a standard bushing and seal. put all back togeather and adjust some slack with the folower at the center of the worm gear. Thats about all you can do for this box.
    dwrfab Don Ross

8. Thanks, Don..I'm going to road teat the car tomorrow, and if it still does the "watusee"..Then the box is next to get rehabed

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Love to see some pics of that street-goin' race car...I had a '56 CAE sprint I wanted to do, but in a weak moment, sold it...

10. I rebuilt one about 15 years ago install tapered bearings instead of the ball bearings which were rusted and galled customer still using it and it works find simple to work on made just like golf cart steerings.

11. Atwater Mike, here are some street driven open wheelers for you.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=6870

Here is a pic of my sprinter with the VIN tag stuck on the chassis tube.
    It's a cool deal in Indiana, if you play your cards right at the BMV,you can get about anything titled--but keepin the man from nailing you for not meeting all the equiptment laws, requires "Best Behavior"....Let them chase the TUNERS!
    Gambler cockpit.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010