Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this a Red Ram Baby Hemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintman27, Nov 8, 2017.

1. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Hey guys! I stumbled across this on my local CL. If anybody is intereseted in buying it, be my guest. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/d/modified-dodge-241-hemi/6370968440.html
    No knowing much about Mopars, I was curious to know if this is a Red Ram, and what kind of work would be involved in switching this from marine to street use. The guy claims the boat sunk at one time so I wonder what kind of internal damage was done by the salt water? LOL!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced.....

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds like a boat anchor...literally

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is a Red Ram. I would question the adjustable rockers. More likely adjustable push rods. I would surely want to pull the heads and some rod and main caps before talking price. 2 grand seem like a lot of money unless it looks a lot better inside than out.

loudbang likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

It has a DuCoil and an aluminum flywheel though. Those add value.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Way too much $$$$

loudbang and mike in tucson like this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Really ... you could buy a 341'' Desoto for that ...

8. there was a complete 392 on FB last week for 3k
    2k sounds a little steep but when you factor in a $400 intake + carbs linkage and fuel block
    the distributor set up, aluminum flywheel and remote oil filter set up, adjustable valve train, the price sounds better
    plus he stated 'OBO"
    a friend of mine sold a couple 241s last year for around 500 each (stock 2v needed built) if that helps you figure out its worth

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Jeff Norwell and Fordors like this.
  9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The intake, flywheel, distributor are worth about $1000 by themselves. The way I think about it...$1500 would be a great deal.

anthony myrick and Fordors like this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did any of you guys bother to watch the video? I couldn't start it directly from the post, but was able to run it directly. That thing seems to run great, and from the idle, it probably does have a cam. Adjustable pushrods aren't that bad; I have a set of them on the Engle roller tappet in my dirt car (avatar). The intakes were a bitch to adjust until I took a torch to a couple of cheap wrenchs. It's no longer a problem.

If someone was looking for one of these for a hot rod (I had one in a "T"-bucket in the '60's), you'd be hard pressed to beat that price for what's there.

Fordors likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAY too much money. WAY too likely that it was in brackish or straight-up salt water.

I recently bought two passenger car 354 Hemi's, for $1400, complete.

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Definitely a low deck dodge, intake and carbs would bring $700 or so pond water is the biggest draw back. Looks like the same engine that rturbo 930 was asking what it was worth in a post in September.

38 mopar_fan likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not pond water.
    upload_2017-11-8_15-48-4.png
    upload_2017-11-8_15-49-34.png

This is the Delaware River watershed, connecting to the Atlantic Ocean. It is entirely likely that this engine was in salt water for some, or all of its life.

It is said to have sunk, even.

I would just walk away, at any price.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Priced a complete working "DuCoil" setup lately?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Don't need one, or the hassle of trying to sell one.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a 241 about 160-miles East of me, for $300.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everyone wants something for nothing... I guess I won't be listing any of my 302 GMC's on this site when I go to sell them.

18. i does nice nice in the video

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys, it's not the engine where the value is, it's the VINTAGE SPEED EQUIPMENT. If the engine is good, it's just a bonus. Anybody out there that isn't aware of what's going on with the price of vintage speed equipment is probably going to miss a few golden opportunities.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of the most un-HAMB like posts I have seen here.

Andy likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My time is not free. I am not a retired old man, looking for something to do.

If it takes more than a day or two total to process the transactions of these items, from end-to-end, even at maximum sales value, I will likely be losing money.

belair likes this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I must say, I've never seen an engine mounted before in a boat in front of the driver. Where exactly did it sink and how did they recover the engine? All it needs is fuel and a spark to run and there's only one way to find out, in person. :( Pull the dipstick and/or drain the oil pan before you hand over any $$$. What it's really worth and what the seller want are two different things. The video was when it ran and not now.
    Here's a basic diagram that will get it running. Don't take his word at face value. As you stated it appears that the parts alone add up, are they all still serviceable or will you find that you have to move them on? How long was it submerged and as alluded to it was most likely in salt or brackish water for a period of time. Out of curiosity, what became of the boat?
    minCIHrunwiring.gif

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked out the window, and there is a full moon out.

24. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Tha ad says best offer. It is widely accepted that prices on Craigslist are inflated and offers are expected. So what? Is it a $500 motor or a$1500 motor or what?

25. its a $300to $500 motor with $1000 to$1500 worth of speed parts

according the the HAMB experts

Jeff Norwell, 302GMC and GordonC like this.
  26. 73RR

73RR

"....it ran when it was parked...." We have all heard that. Also, keep in mind that a vey basic rebuild will run in the $4k range, usually alot more.
    I would approach the seller and offer about $750 for it as is where is. If he balks then tell him that it has to opened to check for damage. If he refuses then walk away. If it gets opened and no damage is found then start dickering.
    Yes, vintage speed parts have extra value but only to someone wanting them. As gimpy so astutely notes, some of us in business value our time and even if parts are free there can still be multiple hours of labour involved to clean-up junk to make it look presentable.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  27. Google "crackerbox boat"

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all due respect, I always thought this board was intended as a forum for amateur enthusiasts, not those better served by being SEMA members. Also, haven't some of you guys watched the video? It was taken last year (long after all of the sinking rigamarole) and the engine seems to run just fine, with no bad noises or smoke. The only odd noise I can hear is the lope of an aftermarket cam. If "a picture is worth a thousand words", what's a video worth?

Some of you "super successful" types should slow down and take the time to read and understand the whole thread.

anthony myrick likes this.
  29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I can see Anthony Myrick has probably the best answer, but a lot of its value is based on what you can or cannot do with the engine, or how much time you have to invest in it. Doesn't sound like your all that interested in it or have a burning need for it... and a big IF for me is the video from before the sinking or afterwards? If it is afterwards it seems to run pretty well. If before the sinking then all bets are off and the motor could be scrap. The race parts however are a different story.

30. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Read post 28 just above yours.