Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this a model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by N312RB, Sep 10, 2008.

1. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

If all goes well, I will have the opportunity to purchase this car. What would be a good offer, and also, what is it worth? I walked up to it and as far as I can tell there is just surface rust...
    [​IMG]

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

It is not an A or a ford for that matter. Not sure what it is. Some one here will know.

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

It's not a ford..... Maybe an Essex??
    It's worth whatever your willing to pay based on how bad ya want it. If there is a title or other paper work that will help make it yours in the eyes of the state, then the value goes up some. A lack of rust/rot also helps out. How about the wood?? Bolt on pieces particular to this make of car???

If it's a nice start for a hot rod and ya like the looks of it then try to get the best price you can and dig in.....

Rich

4. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

It looks more like mid 20s general motors (Olds. cadillac, buick, oakland) but i am not sure. It looks good, looks like wood spoke wheels are still good. worth getting

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

looks like an aluminum body?

6. 5window

5window

Post more pictures. The front end looks cool,are you sure that's the original cowl,looks kind of off to me? Can't see the wheels or the motor-glass,garnish moldings,door handles? Looks like early 20's-no id #'s anywhere? Post it on the AACA website-there's a forum for "what is it?".But for heaven's sake,don't tell them it's going to be rodded. I'm thinking 2-3K might be a starting place.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, looks to be an aluminum body. I bet that it's just a skin of aluminum nailed over a total framework of wood. Be careful if you are not a woodworker (or aluminum welder).

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a 26 or so Dodge Brothers. Something is different about the B-pillars though. The pillar seems wider, but everything else is real close.

I'm guessing it's just been sanded or someone put some strange primer on it that's giving it that aluminum look.

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

It would be cool to have a rod in bare aluminum.

10. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

so you are saying that there is a chance that is could be an old hot rod or a coachbuilt something?

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, this one has me...

It's not a Chrysler, Buick, Willys-Overland, Whippet/Nash, Ford, Franklin... and now it's not looking like it's a Dodge either. The reveal line and the front door pillars are really the give-away.

Still looking... It's going to drive me crazy!
    \
    COULD be a Studebaker... it's looking close...

12. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

It is a late teens or early 20's Essex. It has the 18 to 22 essex headlights

13. Those are aftermarket headlights- nice ones!

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

We have a cowl at the shop that is aluminum but I can't remember what it is from. Lincolns are aluminum too, but I don't think it is a Lincoln.

15. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

It never was a hot rod,and should not be hot rodded,whatever it is....it`s worth some $$$$ to the right person.

Locomobile maybe?

16. sinticket

sinticket

looks like a 20s Studebaker from here

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is BIG, not anything in the Ford-Dodge Essex class.

18. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Profile of 1922 Essex
    [​IMG]

The doors and body lines are right but the back of the cab is wrong maybe a newer Essex?

19. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

20. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

This is an ad for the tudor Essex
    [​IMG]

21. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packard maybe??

[​IMG]

The body looks about right but the hood and lights look different.

Remington... do you have anymore pictures of this thing? Is it a straight 6?

23. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Looks like an early '20's ESSEX to me to.Please don't rod it,you'll regret it,trust me,I'm a restorer by trade & those things are worth alot anywhere!

24. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd kill for either of these.

JH

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh wait! Could be a Hudson! Look at the lights on this Hudson, the cowl, body lines, etc. Not the same model and probably not the same year, but very similar features:

[​IMG]

That Essex shown in the flier above also has similar lights. Maybe it is an Essex...

26. Hudson also used the drum style headlights up to 26 or 27. If it's an Essex it will have a six sided emblem on the rad shell, OR the imprint if someone has made off with it. If the imprint is triangular than it's a Hudson...if neither...well you'll have to take some photos of the radiator shell front, dash, ID tag on the firewall, engine, etc.

Someone on the HAMB will ID it, just need more photo info.

27. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

No more pictures right now. But I am going to go out there tonight to see if I can drum up the guy to take an offer. I will take more pictures then.

28. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

22-23 Hudson?

[​IMG]

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

30. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Look how much arch in the hood, and how low the hood sides are, thats whats making so different from the other models. My guess its a Hudson, even looks to have the same cowl lights. Just comparing it to the one pictured above.