Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a good deal for a flathead with some aftermarket things on it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patdoody, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Patdoody

Patdoody

He wants 1500.00 for both the trans and motor? worth it or should I wait, or should I offer less? I would really love to be running this in my 31 coupe I am building rather than the run of the mill sbc

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

yea, sounds good

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I sold a '51 Merc w/Offy heads, Isky stick, offy intake, 2 94's and a 5 speed for $1500. Runner.....

4. F&J

F&J

..If you are sure it's a good runner meaning no smoke, knocks etc...then Yes. Also do some math on the extras,,it adds up awful quick.

I saw a 250 starting bid with no reserve on my drivetrain with a real 41,000 miles with a stick. I offered 1K to end it early and paid a hauler 500. I am thrilled with it, looks like 5,000 miles inside.

5. Patdoody

Patdoody

I am going to go over and check it out this week, there were no photos with the ad... I honestly dont know much about flathead motors, is the 53 8ba a decent choice? And is it going to be a good power plant for the car, or will I be dissapointed power wise?

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A 53 8BA is a good motor. But you really don't know, without hearing it run, whether or not you're buying a pig in a poke.

There was a running 59AB at the Tulsa swap meet last April that sold for $325. I looked it over real good, asked a lot of questions, walked away for a few minutes to think about buying it, came back, and it was sold.

7. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I paid $1500 for my '53 merc with the same setup. I got to hear it run.

8. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

The '53 truck 3spd should be a side shift trans. This is a little less desirable than the older toploader. It has potential so I wouldn't say no to it, but don't pay a premium for it either, assume the trans is worth no more than a couple hundred so the rest of what you are paying for is the engine.

9. Patdoody

Patdoody

maybe I will have some barter power since I cant hear it run, I also don't need the 3 speed trans... humm

10. tinguy

tinguy

what you really have to worry about on non running flathead is cracked block! last one my buddy built took 8 blocks before they found a good one. that wasn,t bad. you should at least pull the heads for look see. even then then they can crack under valves, etc and it may not show up visually. good luck tinguy