Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by (BlueOval), Oct 21, 2009.

1. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

Well after looking at alot of pictures of chopped Shoeboxes (not to start another argument by saying Shoebox) I've noticed that most are sedans but I have a Club Coupe that I want to cut and I saw this car and really like the lines. It looks like it has the longer trunk area but is there any other way to tell. Anymore pic's of coupes chopped would be appreciated.:D 012609-09Chopped1950Ford.jpg

012609-04Chopped1950Ford.jpg

2. My guess would be a sedan...the way the area under the rear window ascends, it looks like they moved the roof forward and added material there. Usually the coupes rear side windows get way smaller...

my opinion...

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I seen this thing a couple weeks ago and I have to say it's probably one of my favorite shoebox fords for sure.

4. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

That appears to be a coupe. Of course, since it has been modified, it might have started as something else, but coupes have long trunk areas like that, whereas tudor sedans have longer rear side window openings.

5. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Didn't the sedan have a rear vent window? I am not 100% sure, but I thought it did. That being said, I think it is a coupe.

6. eddie1

eddie1

That is a sedan. The length of the quarter windows is to long to be a coupe.

7. Sedan. Most coupes look like ass chopped.

8. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i will qualify my next statement by saying i dont know much about those cars, but i sure have seen enough of them thru my days on this planet..My vote..sedan

10. DrJ

DrJ

Could be a bit of both.
    I read some where that Bill Hines used a sedan roof on a coupe just to utilize the longer roof and 1/4 window.

11. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Sedan AND a wet dream. I stare at this car at least once a week. Would be my first purchase if I won the lottery. damn damn

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's a sedan, most coupes look wretched when chopped.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My guess is that it was a coupe. Just going by the distance between the deck lid on this sedan and the rear window....

[​IMG]

and the same distance on this coupe. That is where to look on these cars.

That being said, anything could have been cut shifted, reshaped and rewelded as in the rear side windows and B pillars so a definitive answer is probably not possible from pictures.

14. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

its a sedan,,,,with the rear window moved forward,,,coupes are tricky to chop and have them look good,,,here's my coupe after we chopped it,,,i think we got the proportions right,,,,this is what the telstar looked like in its early "mild kustom" phase,,,

Attached Files:

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yeah. That has to be a sedan, cause the distance between the trunk and the rear window is not enough to be a coupe. Even though that area has been modified.

Attached Files:

16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I 2nd that!!

Check out GEEMANN51, his is a coupe and i have to say it's extremely well executed!! My favorite coupe ever chopped!!

17. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

18. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

I am not positive but i think they made 2 differnt style sedans

19. Sure did...2-door and 4-door:p

20. That chop was perfect to my eyes...I think I'll probably get laughed at when I point at your car and say it's my favorite mildly chopped coupe...

How much did you take out? Either vertical dimension or out of the A-pillar...

21. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Sedan,coupe really is nt the best choice for a chop the sedan is perfect,

22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

sedan. the back window is longer than a coupe's even after being chopped. And it's not all squashed looking.

23. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

that's a sedan. if you want great clean flowing lines in your shoebox chop start with a sedan by the time your done it's a coupe.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Agreed!

Its definitely a tudor sedan. Rear window moved forward and layed down, new catwalk constructed. Absolutely perfect.

I also heard that Bill Hines once used a sedan roof on a coupe during a chop. But think about it, a sedan roof on a coupe, would be a tudor sedan!

25. mj40's

mj40's

I don't know but I like it!

26. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i think it was three in the front and maybe 5 in the rear,,,can't exactly remember..

27. OklahomaHotRod

OklahomaHotRod

OK....now Im confused. Is there a 2 door sedan or are 4 doors sedan and 2 doors are coupes?

Then are you stating its better to chop a 4 dr sedan than a 2dr coupe? I've been contemplating selling my '49 4 dr for a 2 dr so I could chop it.

Someone enlighten me please!

28. shoebox50

shoebox50

sedan for sure

29. spooler41

spooler41

Ok guy's, it is a coupe. Check out Tommy's post #13. the green 2dr. has a short deck lid,
    and the orange coupe has the long deck lid. Now go back to the first post, its got a coupe deck lid.The quarter window looks longer because the top has been chopped, it's just lower and not shorter.

..........Jack

30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

the decklids are the same length. the back of the roof was moved forward. Sedan.