Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dolphin oil gauge is getting juice but not reporting the oil pressure!:eek: VA is apparently too far north for the Dolphins... at least one!:eek::D:D Wiring is slowly looking a bit less like spaghetti.;)
    Just got back from lunch at the ice cream parlor with the Madam.:) They have something called Coconut Chocolate Almond that tastes like an Almond Joy.;):):) Yummy!:D
    At least the big Buick is firing up a little quicker each time... at least it feels like it!;):D
    Back to the garage.

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Later made a first pass at bleeding the brakes when a helper happened by.;) They need more work but I think we got most of the air out of the system... I was working fast so could make some progress on all four brakes.:) We also tested the Dolphin oil gauge and sender every way we knew and it did nothing.:mad:
    I offered some ice cream but he declined... for now!:D
    Got most parts for mechanical oil pressure gauge except the compression fitting... it is metal line so fitting needs to be smaller that usual fitting for the plastic lines. Of course, I've got several fittings for plastic lines.:D I want to think it through a bit more as this might be a somewhat permanent temporary fix!:eek::D Dang Dolphin gauges.:mad:

3. Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6795.JPG
    Fixed the Dolphin oil pressure problem!;):D:D
    Still dialing in the timing... really barks now!!:D Idling better... thank the Lord!:)
    Now to get the gas line reworked to eliminate the plastic can!:eek::D:D
    Gonna have to take the bed off I think!:eek:
    Opportunities!:D:D

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I got the bed loose. Now to get some help to take it off. I got ice cream.;):D:D
    The plastic gas can's days are getting short... I hope!!:D

6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

You're making good progress every day!!

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I don't know about GOOD progress but any progress is good!!;):D
    Thanks

lothiandon1940, loudbang and pprather like this.
  8. You're tempting me with the ice cream, Al. Wish I were closer........Don.:)

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Don,
    "COME ON DOWN!!":D
    We're still gonna meet in Tappahannock for a great meal one day!
    Thanks for your continued interest, help, and encouragement.:)
    I'm hoping to get that bed off today and start figuring out what to do there... a bunch of opportunities!:eek::D
    Also need to revisit the brakes and the brake pedal clearance... rubs against bracket holding steering column... which I'm thinking about moving!:eek:
    Come on down and help me figure it out.;):)
    The ice cream is great!;):D

10. I'm gonna take you up on that ice cream soon too, as I wanna hear that 401 bark!

11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hey Bang, get a video so we all can hear!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6796.JPG
    The help didn't show but managed to get the bed off.;)
    IMG_6797.JPG
    I'd say that axle clearance could stand some improvement... might fix the shock length at the same time!;):D
    One and a half to two inches more I think. Currently about inch and a quarter to a half.:eek:
    Gas line and electric fuel pump were also removed and the tank vent was changed such that it will still vent after the first time it overflows.;) They had a dip in the hose before it went up over the tank.:eek::D Now the vent hose is all down hill.;) Small detail but makes a heck of a difference!!:) I think I'm gonna change to a different electric fuel pump that I usually use as it allows gas to pass through it even if it is turned off.;) Since I've got to remount the pump anyway; might as use something I know should work.;)

13. Al, I was just noticing the Hoosiers there on the rear. Don't know if you plan on using them in the future but they do make for some "interesting" driving experiences on a damp road!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  14. Looks like someone forgot the "C" notch when they were building the frame.

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6799.JPG
    I finished moving the gas line to the passenger frame rail and installed the new fuel pump. I also got longer bolts in preparation for raising the rear of the truck some. More importantly, I went to see my fabricator about making up some spacers to raise the rear of the truck up to two inches; with quarter inch tuning available.;) I'm using quarter inch plate, 8 inches long and 2 inches wide with a hole in the center.:) Springs are 2 and a quarter wide and the clamps holding the rear spring are 8 inches apart. Just waiting on a phone call to come get them.:) Probably Monday I hope.:)
    Now to get some more gas!:D

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6802.JPG
    IMG_6803.JPG
    I put more gas in the tank and grounded the sending unit and the gas gauge works!:) No clue as to how accurate.:eek::D Sure hope it is better than the oil pressure sending unit and gauge.:D:D
    I retired the plastic gas can... won't be needing any casters and bungee cord for it after all.:D:D
    IMG_6801.JPG
    Early call this morning that my spring spacers were ready.:) Decided to put some paint on them.
    IMG_6804.JPG
    I took it apart while the paint was drying.;) I'm hoping I've got enough room to add the spacers and get it back together. Found a new spring center bolt I've had laying around for a long time... the last time I needed one it was a hassle so I bought several when I found them.;) I'm a bit surprised that I found the spares right away!:D:D
    I'm certain it was all due to my great organization and neatness in my shop.;):D:D
    I'm working on locating the battery but it gets a bit more complicated when I'm still pondering moving the cab forward a couple inches.:eek::eek::D:D
    Opportunities!:D:D
    Back to the garage.
    Working Al

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6805.JPG
    The spring spacers are in place and the shocks are back in place... looks like we fixed the short shock problem.;):D
    Since this picture, I added the hardware to secure the spring pack to the frame but haven't tightened it all down snug as I want to raise it up and get a better look at everything and make sure aligned properly before finish snugging everything down.;)
    Much better rear axle clearance under the frame now.:)
    Yeah, the gas line it too long.:eek::D:D I ain't finished yet.;) I'm trying to figure it all out and get it all working before start the final tweaking.:)
    Need to take further look at moving the cab forward... opportunities!
    Tired Al:eek::D

18. I'd put the spring bolts with threads at top. Once you mount the bed, you won't be able to get the spring bolts out.

hotrodjack33, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  19. Will you need a C notch, or is the enough clearance? I don't know that answer.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Good idea. Thanks.
    Of course, you are assuming I'll put the bed back!!:D:D

lothiandon1940, pprather and loudbang like this.
  21. My rod chassis has several items that were obviously added before the body. Makes some maintenance / repair difficult with the body mounted.

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6806.JPG
    Note two things in this picture:
    1. Gas in the fuel filter.:)
    2. Nuts now on top of rear spring attachment... thanks Phil.;):)

I used the electric pump to prime the line and let it run until the engine started.;)
    Running good and crisp... goose it and the whole car torques up!:eek::D:D
    I'll never get all that power hooked up:eek:! Sure is fun to feel it in the car when you crack the throttle.;):D
    Tired but Happy Al:D

23. Torque is a beautiful thing.:D

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...except when the wife is "torqued off" at me...usually it's when the Visa bill shows up...:eek:

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6807.JPG
    We can cancel the order for casters and bungee cord for the battery, too!:D
    I'm not sure this is much of an improvement:eek: but will make it possible to move the truck under its own power.;):)
    Continued cleaning up and rerouting some of the wiring... not quite so much spaghetti now. Removed the wiring for the electric fan that was removed.
    May be time to go back to the brakes!:D:D Still got a drip is several places.:eek::mad::D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

In an effort to further bleed the brakes, we found a serious leak where a fitting seems to have failed. The good news, if you can call it that; is that we think we have found the source of the lingering brake failure. The bad news is that the whole area will need to be examined and any failed parts replaced. The area is so tight that it will have to be taken apart. While I'm at it I plan to rework the area such that I'm certain all fittings and brake lines have adequate clearance to be serviced without another major teardown.;) The previous owner tried to work around the tightness and might have cracked a fitting then... don't know and it doesn't matter.:) Objective now is to find and fix whatever is keeping the brakes from working properly.
    Now that the gas tank is working and the battery is in the car, I want to go riding!;):):D:D
    The car was delivered three weeks ago today.
    Time flies when you are having fun!:D:D
    I don't think the truck is ready for an ice cream run... yet!!:D:D

27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

s IMG_6810.JPG
    Other than showing off the Snap-On wrench I inherited from my Daddy;); this shows I now have enough room to service the brake line in the future if needed.;):)
    I also managed to tighten up the fitting on the 2 pound check valve to the front brakes.:)
    I found the fitting into the master cylinder that seemed to be leaking to not be super tight:eek:. A few more turns and it should be good to go but I've had so much trouble that I'm a bit reluctant to say it won't leak!:eek::D:D
    Now to see if Ringer can help with bleeding the brakes!:D:D
    IMG_5603 (1).jpg
    Ice cream anyone?!:D

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

upload_2021-10-4_12-27-33.png
    Hey Al, what brand is that switch and does it have a part number.? I would like to check it out in further detail. I might have an opportunity to buy one:).

loudbang likes this.
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^ That is a battery cut off switch that is often used for marine applications.
    IMG_6811.JPG
    IMG_6812.JPG IMG_6813.JPG
    It is designed to have cables enter by the side, as I hope you can tell by the pictures whereas many switches protrude through the floor and have cables on the other side. I've been saving this spare for you.;):D:D
    I think they were about $50. I usually have cable connections on the underside of the floor so don't use these but great in this application... I used similar setup when I was getting the 425 Buick to run in a ragged 65 Gran Sport before I pulled the engine.;) An easy way to be safe.;):)
    Come help me bleed the brakes and we will work a deal.;):D:D
    I'll buy the ice cream!;):D:D

30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

They also make less plasticky ones, such as this one:
    Summit, among others, carries a variety of types.

[​IMG]

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.