Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a 53' Ford Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAKERSFIELD, Jul 8, 2009.

1. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

I think this is a 53' Ford but I wanted to make sure. Let me know guys!
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Those numbers don't mean much to me but the color under the crud along with the configuration shown in the 3rd picture says '52-'52 truck. The metal tubes in the upper coolant hoses are definetly truck. The color is '52-'53 truck. I can't see the front motor mount but if it has asinglr front mount straddling the crank and mounts on each side of the bell housing, it's '53 truck for sure.

3. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Its a 24 STUD so it's a later model Flathead. On the covers does it say 8BA or 8RT????

HC.

4. dec102677

dec102677

it out of 53 truck have one sitting in my shop just like it came out of 53 dump truck

5. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

The 8BA or 8RT, where would that be on the engine?

6. troylee

troylee

casted in the middle of each head

7. havi

havi

Passenger side of intake on top of block towards the rear, should be a stamped set of characters. Those will tell you the date.

8. '53 Ford passenger cars had the narrow v-belts. I would be inclined to say 'truck' because of that. Not much differnece otherwise.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Truck if the collection is original would likely have hard valve seats. '52-3 passenger generally had valves seating right on the iron. Only meaningful casting number wil be prefix on the 6050/6049 numbers on heads, and of couse that only ID's the head itself... many flatheads turn out to be mixed bags of parts from exchange rebuilds. Only what's inside matters. The desireable features are no cracks, Henry styl valve seats, and Merc cranks, which can turn up anywhere after all these years.

10. mtflat

mtflat

Enlarging the pic shows it has 8RT heads and '53 truck/car waterpumps..... probably came from a '53 truck but who knows! Fan looks strange for a truck. Could be a mongrel of ass't parts.

11. I agree with above (maybe a mongrel) but 8RT on those heads says Truck in Ford-ese. Usually (not always), "T" in the prefix of a Ford part # indicates it was originally designed for trucks. But there are exceptions.