Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a cool Desoto?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Nov 14, 2011.

1. thats not rust

thats not rust

1940 4 door...

Attached Files:

2. teddyp

teddyp

never was a big mopar fan (guess causes most of my buddy,s are ) but i have seen some nice rides made out of them . any car is cool if you build it the way you want

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

A group of very nice detail shots on the DeSoto Airflow. Sorry, I don't remember where I ran across this! :eek:

4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I wasn't aware that there was a DeSoto that wasn't cool. Huh. Learn somethin' new every day!

5. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

6. Phinney

Phinney

I have the best of both worlds, 1950 and 1959. Both 4 doors but hey, you take what you can afford! I love the fins of the '59, but the '50 is really growing on me.

Attached Files:

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I drove a baby blue '50 DeSoto 4dr when I was in high school way back in '03. Chicks dig back door action, I mean 4 door action.

8. My wife's '54.

[​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles

9. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

The 1954 Desoto Adventurer II that just sold on Barrett-Jackson for $1.43 million was pretty cool!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

11. ...a bit of DeSoto trivia,...in 28 the DeSoto came out and set a record for the most cars built in their first year of production; they held that record until the Ford Falcon came out in 1960. The next year was DeSoto's last year of production.

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, Rusty. The previous record-holder was the new line, Pontiac, in their fledging year, 1926. I wonder what the prior record-holder to THAT was???

13. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

DeSoto actually has a pretty cool history in the race circuit for a short time. Look up a guy called "Peter DePalo".

DeSotos, in my opinion at least, designed some of the nicest looking cars made. The fact that you don't see them much makes most DeSoto projects a worthwhile quest.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Butch, thanks! I doubt many people think even ONCE about whether DeSotos were used in racing. (Though, I know they did okay in boats!)

I take it, you mean DeSotos from the Hemi whale era 'til the end of the make??? I can't imagine the PowerMaster doing much in serious '50s or early '60s racing, even on dirt.

So how do we find this Peter DePalo? Is he a HAMBer, or do we just Google him?

15. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

I'm going off of memory but many companies back in the day, especially during "depression era" times used racing as means of promotion. DeSoto sponsored a few race drivers to help boost and promote the brand. You would have to google it or contact the DeSoto clubs but if memory serves me correct they broke some records. If I have some time I will see what I can dig up.

Always was a fan of the DeSotos, even the 4 door variety. Lots of these cars were melted down and scrapped because everybody wanted the Fords & Chevys. Unfortunately they were left to rot for a long time.

The more people who are interested in DeSotos the better because that helps preserve the remaining inventory.

Here is a link to start with
    http://www.allpar.com/history/desoto.html

Mike

16. Here are a couple more to add to the variety already posted. Yes Desotos are cool. Some of the ones already posted definately fit the bill.

First is one I took pictures of at a show and shine (my favorite so far). The second is the one I got my motor and grill from. I sold the rest to a man who needed a body to restore.

Langley cruise 119b.jpg Langley cruise 120b.jpg

2012-01-22 Scanned 54 Desoto Firedome2.jpg 2012-01-22 Scanned 54 Desoto Firedomeb.jpg

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Butch and Scribe, though I see somethig special in all DeS models (whether made under old Walt, Keller or Woolson), my favorites are the '55-'57 and the immediate post-war ones, '46-'48. The LATTER are affordable, whereas anything pre-war is pretty much unreasonable for a rodder to use for a project (lest it's solid enough to blast). The 2 two Keller series from '49 to '54 are not my faves, as I've said. But it doesn't mean I hate 'em.

Just MO. Doesn't mean DeS wouldn't make good rods. It's just that they were destroyed left and right when nobody wanted even a running DeSoto. Pre-war is very rare. Post-war is tough, 'cause they're now scarce for the reason stated.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks to DeS fan AldenJewell of FlickR, here's the ad art for the hidden-headlight DeS models
    for '42. These are pretty rare, as the U.S. auto companies only completed somewhere between
    30 and 40 percent of the '42 production runs before the federal government clamped down in
    February '42 and converted all industrial production to the war effort. IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF
    A '42 RODDED, I'D SURELY LOVE TO SEE IT! Myself, I could really see this as a custom, with the
    extraneous trim shaved, lowed, etc. Cruise yer a-- off! LOL. And a real custom has to leave off
    the bumper guards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

1942 DeSoto club coupe (featuring Airfoil headlights).
    Imagine THIS chopped and lowered! :cool:

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

1955 DeSoto Firedome convertible. Hell, if it looks so good in lo-res,
    ya KNOW it's look great in a sharp hi-res pic, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The '56, presented in its best aspect. The waterfall/toothy grille was gone:cool:, as DeSoto turned
    the corner from its previous dowdy roots. I LOVE the deluxe headlight bezels. These are
    rare:eek:, as most work-strike cars used the standard chrome rims, simplified from the '55 version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The '56 Pacesetter 'vert was not technically an Adventurer, though
    it was decked out in Adventurer scheme.:) It was a Fireflite special
    edition fitted with all the Adventurer heavy-duty components --
    suspension/brakes, beefed up Powerflite trans, plus the Adventurer
    341 dual-four intake and Carters.:cool: Sorry for the lo-res, BUT better
    than NO pics, right?

[​IMG]

Immaculate '56 DeSoto Pacesetter, owned by Larry Zappone
    of Woodinville, WA, a member of the Walter P. Chrysler Club,
    from whose site this was sourced. Sincere thanks to Larry
    and to the Walter P. Chrysler Club.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=204>[​IMG]

Appreciation is expressed to HubcapCafe.com for this rarely seen rear view of the '56 DeSoto.

[​IMG]

Special plastic hood insert. Quality repros are available today but cost a whopping $300 !

<TABLE border=0 width=360 bgColor=#c6e2ff><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=200>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DESOTO PACESETTER[/FONT]

</TD><TD width=150>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SPECIFICATIONS[/FONT]
    </TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TOP SPEED
    [/FONT]
    </TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]115 mph* (184 km/h)[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0-60 mph (0-96 KM/H) [/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10.2 sec[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ENGINE TYPE [/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V8[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DISPLACEMENT[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]341 ci (5,587 cc)[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TRANSMISSION[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2-speed auto[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MAXIMUM POWER [/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]320 bhp (239 kW) @ 5,200 rpm[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD height=21>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MAXIMUM TORQUE [/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]365 lb ft (495 Nm) @ 2,800 rpm[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD height=21>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WEIGHT[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3,870 lb (1,759 kg)[/FONT]
    </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TD height=21>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ECONOMY[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14 mpg (4.95 km/l)[/FONT]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[ * : It should be noted that
    DeSoto test drivers went
    considerably FASTER on
    Chrysler's proving grounds,
    and the 341 also excelled
    in trials at Daytona Beach.]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Source: How Stuff Works

Motor Trend :cool: timed an Adventurer at 10.5 seconds 0-60, 17.5 seconds and 81 mph in the quarter, and claimed to have recorded a top speed of 144 mph.

Don MacDonald in the July 1956 Motor Trend: "The Chrysler had better high-speed throttle response, and its competition-bred suspension gave it the edge in cornering, but critics admitted that DeSoto had produced the genuine article. "All honest and available, 320 horsepower is enough to make any car a bomb." :cool:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

One more for GotGas

[​IMG]

1957 DeSoto Adventurer, the first U.S. production model to achieve 1 hp per
    cubic inch. :p Sorry, 'Vette guys; the mechanical FI on the 'Vette was special
    order. The Adventurer was NOT ONLY production, it was now a full-fledged
    DeS model offering, not a special-edition Fireflite any longer.:cool:

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Before I sign off for tonight, I just want to emphasize how much I wanted, as a kid, to lift one of the larger DeS Hemis (since I couldn't afford a Firepower anyhow) and stick it in something lighter, such as a coupe, roadster or maybe a '56 Dodge coupe.

WHY won't the lottery come through, I ask?

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

'41 DeSoto Custom business coupe, thanks to MotorBase.
    The fog lights aren't stock, and I'd simplify the bumper and
    put some cool wheels on it.:cool: Otherwise, raking the rear and
    cutting the front springs a turn is about all I'd do to this beaut. :)

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

1942 DeSoto Cyclone concept by Alex Tremulis.:eek: This was
    to have been a sort of complement to the Chrysler Thun-
    derbolt, concept car that did get built. Alex's DeSoto,
    however, had plenty of influence of cars to come, IMO.
    Anybody notice a resemblance to the Tucker he designed
    after taking over there? :rolleyes:

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

The actual PRODUCTION '42 DeSoto, the only one ever to use
    retractible headlights.:cool: This ad art exaggerates the low profile
    of the real thing, below. When DeS returned after the war, the
    headlights on the hurry-up models were fixed, but the so-called
    "waterfall grille" was nearly as ostentatious and continued.
    The treatment morphed into the "toothy" grilles that lasted all
    the way through 1955!

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Kit Foster and Wayne Graefen:D, one of the
    keenest -- and rarest -- DeSotos ever. There were just
    568 DeSoto convertibles built in the war-shortened '42