Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any hope of getting out of this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Oct 1, 2013.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I have a '56 Chevy 150 2 door that I have been working on for a long time and some things have happened recently that have me thinking of selling it despite(or possibly because of?) it's sentimental attachment. I don't need the money or anything like that, but unless reality does a complete 180 and somehow places me back in my past I don't see any possible change in the things that have me so mentally messed up regarding this car. I don't want to post any pics at the moment because the car is pretty distinctive and if my Dad knew I was thinking of selling it he would lose his mind.
    I just got the car back from being painted yesterday. It has had a complete floor pan with braces put in as well as some other panels replaced. The chassis has new springs, all new MOOG steering components, discs on the front, new brakes on the rear, the frame and suspension was powdercoated. Both sides of the floor and cowl were media blasted and painted and the floor has been undercoated. I have most of the chrome new including a few NOS pieces. I have a 383 sbc that is putting out around 500 hp. I have a TH400 beefed up or a Super T10. I have a P case center for the rear with posi, new bearings and new 3.73 gears. I have a back seat that needs recovered and a pair of '68 Firebird buckets that have already been covered in black. No other interior. Good backglass, no other glass. New weatherstrip. 15X8.5 Ansen Sprints w/ new MT Sportsman I on the back and new 15X4 Torq-Thrust w/ new MT Sportsman fronts. I have just under $18,000 in the car as it is now. If I sell it, I am only interested in selling to a distant buyer so that I will hopefully never see it again. I know I will not get nearly what I have invested. My question is: What is the likelihood of getting even a decent percentage of my money back if I sell? Without seeing pics can you guys give me a ballpark even what I may expect to sell it for?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Do you think your gunna like selling it? Talking to all the people about it, emailing photos, dealing with people that want to come see it. If its as bad as you make it seem just get it out of your hair fast. Or just store it for a while.

3. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

This story sounds like the per-cursor to sellers remorse in a few years.... I would sit on it for 6+ months and then re-evaluate.

4. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I wouldn't like all the BS with selling it but at least that is a short term hassle. I can't completely give it away though. I just trying to decide if I could get enough of my money back to ever be ok with selling it or if I will just keep it around as a reminder of how F'ed life is.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are 2 reasons to sell a car you like. you need the money or you need the space. pretty simple.

6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

If you want your money back and hope to never see it again, sell to an Aussie.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

No you cant get your money back. But maybe to an aussie. Life will always be f'ed up, so just deal with the good cards your delt.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Realistically you'll probably get about half of your real dollars invested. Your labor is a giveaway...

9. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

It sounds like it's nearly done and just needs reassembly. If you don't need the money, why sell it? Time?

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of it already. Just sit on it till things improve.

10. Midget25

Midget25

It sounds like you are having "life" problems not car problems. Put the car aside and get yourself back to normal and then if you want to work on the car again good, if not you still can sell. The seller rarely gets the good side of an incomplete project sale. Hang in there.........................

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I still have seller's remorse, over selling my 47 Ford Tudor. (sob)

4TTRUK

12. I don't think you need to sell the car, I think you need to get your head out of your ass, deal with your problems, put your life back together and then finish the car and drive it.
    I've had 2 nervous breakdowns in my life, ended up in prison because of one of them and I got back on track and at 61 I'm disabled but I am still moving forward.

13. High5

High5

Have to agree with Midget25. If you can store it offsite, that would be best. Out of site, out of mind. Be absolutely sure this is the right decision.

As a side note, 150 series trifive's are very popular especially with the gasser guys. You would stand a pretty good chance to recoup your investment. But I would be realistic and plan to lose around 15% if you still want to sell.

I wish you the best and hang in there.

14. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

If it's stored you don't have to feed it or clean up poop on the floor (if it leaks, it will eventually stop) and unless you rent storage space won't cost anything. I would store it and forget about it until you can deal with it.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sell it to "Dad"; otherwise, don't sell it. I've owned three 56, model 150, Business Coupes (one I owned twice, so I count it twice), and MANY other Tri-Fives. I wish I'd never sold mine, any of them! You'll never come out "ahead" in situations like this. I'm in agreement about putting it on the back burner until you figure out what you WANT to do, not what you think you NEED to do. Once it's gone, it's gone, and you'll never get it back! Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, washed the T-shirt, it shrank, does't fit anymore, and I can't find another. Butch/56sedandelivery

16. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I am seeing a couple of the same sentiments in the above posts and I feel I should clarify a few things about me and about this project.

First, the issues I'm having are directly related to this project. I have owned the car for 23 years. Because of it's sentimental value I have always had a very specific vision for it(nearly identical to how it was in my very early childhood). This vision allowed for almost no margin of error or alteration from what it "was supposed to be". Hell, that's the only reason I was willing to spend as much as I have already.

Second, this has a lot to do with one's view of the world/life/reality whatever. I know there a lot of people out there who get knocked down and get back up and back at it. I however am not one of those. I've heard all the sayings about nothing worth doing is easy and the like. Honestly when I have fought for/worked really hard for things in the past, it has paid off about 20% of the time. That's a sh** return on my effort in my opinion.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it originally, but even though I have as many parts as I have the car is currently just sheetmetal on wheels.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Most of us don't know you or anything about you. We're just car guys. But we do care about other car guys. Sounds to me like you were expecting this new paint job to make your world a shiny new happy place. Just do as a few others wrote, park the car and do other things for awhile. Selling may be a big mistake.
    I remember someone in your area being a big Chevy collector years ago.

18. bgaro

bgaro

we are hot rodders not therapists. i don't no what your getting at. sounds like emotional riddles. does this actually have to do with the car, or life?

19. Abomb

Abomb

Let's see, I'm hearing "I hate my Dad, and I can't stand to look at his old car anymore...can I get my money back ?" If I'm off base here, sorry... I hate to come across as an uncaring asshole, but you're mixing up sentimentality and money, which is never a good idea...Sooo, regardless of the reason you wish to part with the car, what you want to sell sounds like a reasonably complete basket case...no way in hell you'll ever get anywhere close to 18K for it...People can buy pretty nice Tri 5 drivers for that.

20. Put her into storage for a few years and let some time pass,, when the mood comes over you go out and look at her and if you,re up to it then take her home and enjoy her...there,s always time to finish, but there's seldom chances to retrieve a lost memory which is basically all these cars are anyhow

21. jesse1980

jesse1980

To answer your question, if it's as nice as it sounds and comes with that drive train I would say you could get about 13,000. Good luck with the other $h!t ya got going on. No offense intended.

22. slammed

slammed

Post up good clear pix of this car top to bottom.

23. I don't claim to know what kind of problems the OP has experienced in his life but I suggest you talk to your dad if the door is open,,or a close friend.

Sounds like depression and it can get the best of anyone.

When you have had a dream since childhood and it no longer has any significance somethings wrong.

Many hambers have experienced problems in their lives,,death of a spouse or child,divorce or loss of job.

Many of us are living with serious health problems.

Again,I don't know the root of the problem but if you are just burnt out put the car in storage and let it set. HRP

24. 5559

from tn

sounds like you need to cover it up & forget about it for a while---sounds to me if you sell it you'll regret it

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Some say move on and sell, others say keep it. Sentiment is obviously there. If you sell you will regret it either way. Damned if you, Damned if you don't. People sell projects and cars for a plethorea of reasons and later you hear 'If only I hadn't done this that or the other' or 'I shouldn't have done that'. Cover it and walk away and think about it later without emotion but reason. My 2 cents worth. Don't rush in and make a decison you will later regret.

26. Spend an hour surfing the cars for sale on here and that will give you a better idea what you can get or recoupe than we can. You know what you got.

27. 327Eric

327Eric

I went through the same thing recently. I kept mine. I kinda hate it at this point, as the path I went doesn't necessarily jive with my current tastes. So I am leaning towards changing it, color, engine, trans. Money is the biggest issue, true, but I have made it this far. I may well sell it if I cannot reconcile the way it is now. Sentimental goes a long way, but if it is the only reason your keeping a car you may not want, move on. My dad and brother would flip if I got rid of it, but I hold the title, and was the one that pulled it off the godforsaken hill it was melting into.Ironicaly, i've been toying with the idea of trying to trade mine for a tri 5 Chevy. More times than not I have been ready to throw in the towel, but just can't do it. To much oil in my blood.

28. Terrible80

Terrible80

Whatever has happened is not the cars fault. Turn this around make the car a statement of your ability to overcome the situation and live on. Or sell it and always wonder how cool it would of been.

29. Fenders

Fenders

Don't let recent short-term events affect your long-term goals and dreams. Step back, store it for a while, then re-assess the situation.

Let some time go by -- maybe a few years with it in storage. Your vision may mellow as you age. You might come to realize it would be nice (and more realistic) to have a cool driver than an impossibly perfect dream car.

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I couldn't sell a car that I had as much as you've got in this one. An "out of sight, out of mind" time out will give you a fresh look at the situation. In a year or so go to where you store it and have a good soul search about why you started the project in the first place and see it the old flame is rekindled. If no passion remains you'll know if it's time to sell and move on.

Frank