Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Is there an online parts store that...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Dec 1, 2016.

1. I'm lucky here in the DFW area. I drive 20 miles one way to a real parts store. Buy my stuff and come home. 40 easy miles round trip. No stress and no BS. Strouds in Fort Worth.

2. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Another RockAuto fan here

3. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I've had the BEST luck locating oddball parts with an O'Riely's that is a local warehouse that supplies other local stores. Same with NAPA in San Diego - their warehouse also has a counter. Traded ALOT with local NAPA, as my favorite counterman gave me 'installer' prices. THAT all went away when he retired last year, followed by a change in managers - no more smokin' deals. :(

The LAST old-school PARTS HOUSE in SD is E&M AUTO PARTS in El Cajon, CA. Catalog racks on the counter, WITH guys who know how to READ them! Their inventory is around 70% 70's, 60's and earlier. What they don't have, they KNOW who to call to get it shipped. NEVER cheap, but man are they a GOD-SEND!!! Maybe they ship out of town or state... I dunno.

4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me it´s also Rockauto for usual maintainance parts. Over here no car parts shop carries old American parts so I have to order online anyway. 20 years ago I sent a fax to summit racing, called in if they got it, gave them my Visa details and hoped to get my parts within a month. Today I go to rockauto and have my stuff within 3-4 days.... I have often ordered Monday night and had my parts Thursday night... incredible. And that´s with standard shipping.

5. donsz

donsz

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Rock auto is a good choice. I use them quite a bit.

7. Another vote for RockAuto. I just ordered an OT alternator Monday morning and it was at my door Wednesday afternoon. Pizza takes longer to deliver out here in the boondocks.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive used Rock but their shipping gets out of hand sometimes.

9. I tried Rock Auto one time on a fuel pump. Got a re- boxed unit with the wrong pump in it. Had to submit images to Rock Auto for return authorization. No more for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Rock Auto for me, too. I usually buy multiples of name brand filters, brake shoes, wheel cyls, and hardware kits and come out ahead, including the shipping, over local prices and sales tax. I usually source repair parts along with misc stuff at local O'Reilly and NAPA stores. Used to get a few things on Amazon; but find most prices high even with Prime and since they built a distribution center here, now get hit with local sales tax too.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember that any time you are buying parts online you have to factor in the shipping costs. Plus you have to factor in the time that it takes to get them and that has to work with your work schedule on the truck or rod.
    You can go to www.napaonline.com and plug in the info on the rig and with a bit of effort find the part and be able to tell if the local store has it in stock and what the price is. Then you can compare that with Rock Auto, Amazon and what not.

The good thing about Rock auto is that they usually give you more than one option for the same part and you can buy Delco or another OEM quality part or get the budget price part. The great thing about searching there is you get that part number to search with and quite often your google search will show who has it locally or if it is available through Amazon.

Even with O'Reilly's or Autozone you can go online and find the part and then get the price and find out if it is in stock at a local store. Then you walk in with your note with the part number (s) written down on it and hand the guy or gal at the counter the note I've done that many a time.

6-bangertim likes this.
  12. This is getting funny,like an episode of the 3 stooges..
    Went to napa Thursday last week looking for right and left brake hoses.
    Guy says only right in stock and have to order the left one from LA,would get in Vegas the next day so I pulled the trigger and ordered it,stayed an extra day.
    I get home friday afternoon but tried to install lines on Saturday, realize I Have two left ones(a left was in the right side box)
    Called napa and had them order a right one and i had to drive another 200 miles to get it stay 2 days in vegas and hit the Junkyard.
    Pick up my hose on Thursday..made sure it was the right right one then drove home yesterday...only to find out that the hose has a square end and wont fit my caliper..

The left side was ok but not the right one..

Can i just drind down the cornes of the block?i just need lije a 16th off on each corner..

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Today I go to rockauto and have my stuff within 3-4 days.... I have often ordered Monday night and had my parts Thursday night... incredible. And that´s with standard shipping."

To Germany!?

I like Rockauto especially since they have figured out how to ship to my house in Canada cheaply. Unfortunately it's pretty slow, my recent order took about 11 days.

Which is no fun when one of the family vehicles is not running until the parts come. But even with shipping the parts were about $44 Canadian, bought locally they would have been three or four times that

To save on shipping I will first choose the most expensive or important item, then select the other ones like belts, brake pads and the like from the same warehouse.

One interesting thing I noticed when making up an order was that all of the "Wholesaler Closeout" items come from the same shipping point or warehouse.

14. Can't say for sure in your case; but we have come across that problem a couple times; one time the caliper had an odd "tab" that had to be relieved and the other time it was the corners on the hose end that had to be rounded off to fit.
    Both these cases were reman'd GM calipers.

15. Perfect, thank u.

16. I ordered a gas tank for my Ford and a sending unit from RA. It was shipped in 2 packages from different locations and was a total of $20 for shipping. I try to buy a number of things in one shot to spread the shipping costs around.