Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a such thing as a traditional mild kustom truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Jan 28, 2011.

1. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I see threads where the debate of traditional vs. non-traditional is argued all day long... What I'm looking for is information or pictures regarding pick up trucks that may have been customized in the 50's and early 60's. I'm not talking about the wild sectioned trucks with wings and crazy body styles... I'm looking for trucks of the mild kustom look. Did anyone ever lower a 50's truck on wide whites with some nice hubcaps back then?

Did they just keep the blackwalls that came on the trucks?

Or did they just leave them stock and haul stuff like trucks were intended to do?

In fact, I'd love to have vintage photos of stock 40's and 50's trucks... Or pictures of hot rods that have trucks in the back ground. Just trying to gain a little traditional knowledge about trucks. Help me out guys?!

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Theres a story of a guy that did it to a new truck hear in san diego in the 50's. Well he wasnt paying the dealership and they came to reposes it. Apperently when they saw it they just walked away.

3. Abomb

Abomb

Sure there were, some of them were hotrod and custom shop trucks.....used as trucks with mild custom tricks done to them. I'm sure you will get plenty of vintage pictures soon, so I'm not going searching for them for you.

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Actually, trucks did not exist at all then...it's a modern myth.
    It was totally only '49 Mercs, and burgers tasted better, and you could only buy white shirts and everyone had a Deuce roadster....ahhhhh....the good old days.....:D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

5. Racewriter

Racewriter

I have a number of Rod&Custom and Car Craft magazines. Trust me - custom trucks were a big part of the scene back in the day.

6. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

...if you can do it to a car...you can do it to a truck.

TONS of mild custom F-1's and F-100's on here...neither of which my truck fits exactly. Mine is a rolling project! Search the F-1 F-100 page...

7. Abomb

Abomb

Well, maybe one.....not a genuine as far as I know, but probably pretty acurate of a mild custom shop truck....minus the V8...and plus shiny paint

[​IMG]

8. There were lots of kustom trucks back in the day. I think they looked awesome. Honestly, I like them as much or better than some of the cars of the same era.

Abomb- Thanks for posting the picture. That thing is badass! I'd drive the crap out of that truck......

9. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

A friend showed me this one:

[​IMG]

Kinda wondering if anyone has anything else like this laying around... I search truck pictures in a bunch of different ways and couldn't find much

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Honest Charley, in the 50's sold lots of chrome up the back of the cab stacks or those along the top of the bed as in XMLC216x's post. I remember lots of cool trucks at Dover Drag Strip when I was in high school in the late 50's, probably most of them would qualify as mild customs and many were '39-'40 Ford pickups.

11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I mean I know there are a lot of mild kustom trucks today... but I was looking for old pictures of trucks that were really built in the 50's and early 60's

13. F&J

F&J

Those were the great years for mild and full custom trucks, like mid 50s through the early 60s.

Shiny paint is a must, some sort of pipes also.

Lots of great ones were done, even in mild custom.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The truck in post nine still exists, still belongs to Bruce and still looks pretty much the same but packs a lot more power under the hood now.

In the late 50's when I started attending car shows in Seattle and Tacoma with my dad there were always several nice 53/56 F100 pickups being shown at each show.

Photos from the period from the dry lakes, Bonneville or the drags will almost always show mild custom pickups as tow rigs for some of the race cars.

15. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I will definitely look into the lakes and drag pictures

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Some traditional touches I applied to mine:

Chopped
    Tu-tone paint
    custom tubular grille
    smoothed running boards
    frenched tail lights in a molded pan
    checkerboard firewall and underside of hood
    Nerf bars

Still to come: moon discs and whitewalls

[​IMG]

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is a rear three quarters view of a lowered fifties F100 that Barris used as a shop truck in the latest Rodder's Journal. It looks like a box stock '55 or so that has just been dropped and raked a bit.

18. You probably won't find many pictures of nice clean mild custom trucks from that era. Why? Because the magazines tended to A) focus more on cars and B) when they did feature a truck it was usually more wild like the R&C Dream Truck or Ala Kart.
    There were plenty done, they just weren't magazine fodder.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Gene Winfield's shop truck, circa 1961

[​IMG]

20. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here are a few from the 50's.

Attached Files:

21. Larry T

Larry T

I don't know if they're Customs or Kustoms, but a few more.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. If its not chopped channeled or sectioned its a mild custom by definition.

So find a custom truck that hasn't had any of the above done to them if it is a trad build it is a traditional mild custom truck.

23. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Bottom one here is perfect! ^^^

24. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

I would like to see more!

25. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Awesome! I knew someone had some old pics to post... keep them coming!

Ok, so why are all the kustom trucks from then ford? Maybe it's just in the south, but all I see is 50's chevs around here when I see them?

26. skywolf

skywolf

27. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Seems like as far as paint is concerned either panels or scallops... Might have to rethink my paint ideas.

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

It is my humble opinion that the ford F 100 was to Kustom trucks what the 49 Mercury was to Kustom cars. It seems to me that "back in the day" they became fodder for customisers straight out of the showroom, and a lot of them ended up as mild customs because their cool lines didn't need much doing to them outside of some wild paint and a few personal touches in the grill, headlights and taillights, etc.
    Paul

29. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

This one was kick ass

Attached Files:

30. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Show me more!