Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Is there a problem with the Market Place?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, May 11, 2017.

1. jazz1

jazz1

Possibly more advertising. Surprising how much printed car newspapers are still available. I would think buyers of a finished car would make their own changes to make the car "personal" whether its changing the wheels or adding dingle balls. NICE CAR!

2. metalman

metalman

I wouldn't say dumping more money into something means it won't be recovered.
    I have a customer that was trying to sell 2 vehicles, a 56 Bel Air and an ot 67 C10 PU. Had them both on the market for a year, couldn't sell them. Had me take them to sell for him. Made him nervous but I started making changes at his expense to "improve" the appeal to a broader market, ie, more buyers. Mostly wheel/ tire changes on both, A/C and disk brakes on the 56, new interior and A/C on the truck + a lot of little things to remove what I call "red flags", thing that don't amount to much but turn buyers off like lights, horn, wipers that don't work. I also tuned the motors to fire and run the instant the key was turned, nothing makes a buyer smile more then that! I was able to sell both soon after I was done for more then the original asking price + the cost of changes so he actually made some money on the changes I made. Not to mention they DID sell quickly.

On the OP 40, it seems to be the consensuses the problem is mixed styles, needs to go more custom or more hot rod. If I was doing it I'd go custom, it would be a cheaper route. Hot rods might have a broader appeal but I don't think enough to warrant the additional cost. Lowering blocks are cheap, new wheels and tires are not!

beebing likes this.
  3. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Well, I am not ready to put any additional monies into the Chevy to sell to someone. If I'm going to be in the position to negotiate, why would I throw more money into it? I'll list it some where else. By the way, the car would sit level if you put smaller tires on the back. No need for blocks. There's a lot of folks that do not know about the car. If someone would offer me a "fair" price, they would have to do very little to get it the way you want it. I would be more than happy to instruct the new owner.

Sent from my P027 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  4. I don't know anything about high dollar sales, or really valuable cars, so I wouldn't know how to sell one. But I do love old hot rods and customs, I have seen a lot of cars here, on the web and in magazines, and I think your car is awesome. I like it just like it is.

raprap likes this.
  5. itsonsucka

itsonsucka

Are those flame throwers I know they need to be in cannons but French them in the bumper like the tail lights to clean it up. I like those chevys a lot but yours is in to nice of shape for me lol

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

raprap likes this.
  6. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks Clunker. I appreciate it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Roadsir

Roadsir

I like 40 Chevs...It was my first car when all my friends had Camaros, Novas, Chevelles. Ad a few others have said, they just are not as popular, and they don't command the same price as an equivalent Ford, and you can probably find a similar 40 Ford under $30K.

If you put more money into it to make changes to attract a more mainstream buyer I am not sure it would be a good ideas unless it just some bolt on stuff.

I could see taking this car two directions. Problem is it would take quite a bit of money for you or the next buyer.
    Bonneville inspired. remove the flames, big and little bias ply whitewalls on 15X5 and 15X6's painted red with moon discs, with a slight rubber rake. The inline 6, dash, and steering wheel would play into that theme.

Taildragger. All black, Air ride, bias ply whitewalls, steelies with full 50's caps, 49 Plymouth bumpers or other early 50's GM bumpers rear bumper guards, plated grille, custom interior .

If you think you could manage a trade or partial trade that might be a good option to get more value out in the end. Can be tough to do, and it takes longer.

Good luck.

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I am not sure but you may try contacting "LEAD EAST" promotor to see if there is anyway to advertise on that site, The show is in Late August/September, hopefully you have it sold by then. Just my 2 cents.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Have patience ! It's takes time to sell a car most of the time IMO. We met back when you lived in Milwaukee WI. area back in 2001/2/3/4 or so. Not an expert like many here, but what some have said is true IMO, your car, YOUR STYLE, the trick is to find the guy that appreciates your style, he's out there, PATIENCE ! I had a HighBoy Roadster back then, PPG Radiance Rasberry, flip/flop color, fad color, I liked it until I went sell it, ended up trading it for an unfinished 32, took 2 years to find that guy and he found me off an ad that I had, sale or trade. OR you can you use my method "Buy High, Sell Low, Keeps volume up" from reading on here, seems to work for many. That being said, the car Hobby smiles per miles/$$$ is very reasonable IMO, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ! Good Luck W/ your sale. PATIENCE !

10. bondolero

bondolero

. PATIENCE ![/QUOTE]
    You got it right, thats the key virtue doing anything with old cars !

clunker, lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

You got it right, thats the key virtue doing anything with old cars ![/QUOTE]
    I'm good at giving that advice, patience and tolerance have not really been my virtues in life, but as I aged w/ life's experience's, now an OF, I have realized that many things do take time, hot rod/Sale being one of them. I have reached the point of not enjoying the work part of old cars anymore (health issues) and have adapted the "nothing happens fast" for my plan and have my 2 old cars for sale, going to continue on in car hobby w/ OT late models, have 2 in my inventory now, one I bought new 28 years ago. I Enjoy the HAMB and it's Threads.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    clunker and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info. Yes, I remember you too.

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. fordflambe

fordflambe

You have owned and driven this car long enough that you should have a basic idea of the value or the market in your area. If not, hire a licensed appraiser for a couple hundred dollars to give you a more accurate estimate of the current market. We all know there are niches in hot rods (32-34's, 40's, tri-fives, traditional, etc.) just like there are niches in new cars and daily drivers. Selling either really boils down to supply and demand..........I have found over the years that people have very strong opinions (some good and some bad) about "chopped tops", "flames", "wide whitewalls", "skirts", etc. You will just have to find the right person that likes all of those things...........

In my opinion, Chevy's are best but i am a Chevy man in a hobby where Ford dominates. The only way you will get value out of your car is to take the emotion out of selling it. If you cant do that, you will be continually frustrated........and just for "full disclosure", I have owned five hot rods since 1971 and i still own and drive 4 of them..............

14. Your 40 is a beautiful car. Unfortunately I don't like the body style. I have a 34 Dodge 4 door sedan. You probably don't like that body style. What I am saying is if you have a 33 Willys a 40 Willys a 32 Coupe or a 60's patined Chevrolet ruck nobody wants them. Well almost. I suspect you will sell the coupe but may have to wait a while till you find the right person that likes that style of car. Good Luck!

15. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Going back to the original question, "what is wrong with the market place", I think it is because of all of the "middlemen" trying to make a fast buck on someone else's labor. How many times have I heard, "I will buy this, fix it up and sell it", in reality buy it cheap, and resale for a little more. All of those "little mores" start to add up, and soon you have what we have today, 4 to 6,000 dollar, 1964 Falcon station wagon (only being use as an example, don't get excited), nothing done to them only street driven. Too often is the case where the money to be made, is not to the person building the vehicle but to some re-seller down the road. Best bet, keep what you have.

16. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for the comment. I think you're right.

17. John Starr

John Starr

Generally speaking, as somebody on the hunt for a hot rod project car I've yet to find, I do find this to be very, very true. I'm finding I'm far more interested in buying "blank slate" projects, than somebody else's finished dream car. That's the double edge sword we call "customized". We want to do it, not buy it.

FWIW, I've also seen evidence that the hot rod market has softened quite a bit, and I've had some chats with some top builders who agree.

47ragtop, clunker and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Welp, I love 40 chevy coupes and your car could be killer in my eyes. The chop is flawless but the other custom touches don't work for me...the car is confused but for a little $$$ it could be very salable. I wouldn't put a lot of $$ into it just to sell it but I think it could be a lot more appealing to the general public. Changing the tailights and painted grille could be very expensive and would screw the existing paint up....more money outlay. Let the buyer deal with it.
    If you dropped the car down with short springs and lowering blocks, trade the wide back tires for some skinnys for the front, move the existing front tires to the rear and buy some traditional 15 inch hubcaps. [I'm thinking 55 Olds Holiday caps]...pop ' em over the chrome wheels or buy some painted steelies and like others have said, lose the echo cans for a pair of 2 inch pencil tips, put the skirts in the trunk and let the new owner handle the rest as he/she sees fit. Ok, now you've got the car in the ball park of being less confused....looks more traditional.
    Take some advise and put the car in an auction and grit your teeth with no reserve...say a little prayer and take what it brings so you can move on....I've seen this damned car advertised here on the classifieds for a loooooooooong time. Take what it brings...the end.
    PS...that killer chop will be accentuated after the suspension is dumped down...it will be a huge asset to the car's appeal.

100% Matt, metalman, 47ragtop and 3 others like this.
  19. True words, Rocky.:)

Scooterville likes this.
  20. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

You just need to find the right buyer who falls in love with your car. I'm in the business and the market is very soft for all price ranges of Hot Rods. Many people have to sell their current ride in order to purchase a new one like yours. Trades are big right now where no cash changes hands. Hang in there, you ship will come in.

Scooterville and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:cool:Hey RapRap, selling can be frustrating in any market. I am in the same boat with you. I have my 62 Nova for sale, nice car, reasonable price tag. It hasn't sold and no "real" bites either. Mine is a rag top and weather plays a factor in selling toys.

It started raining here on September 20th at 3:35 in the afternoon last fall. It stopped shortly after midnight last night. o_O Today is the warmest day of the year so far and sun expected for the next week which is fantastic because I have been getting pissed off for no reason lately other than sun deprivation syndrome. :mad:

Point I'm getting at is, according to Lord Tennyson "spring is when a young man's fancy turns lightly to thoughts of love" and summer when older dudes buy cool cars. Patience dear RapRap, patience...and lose the bazookas.:cool:

22. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for the comments.

23. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks Bandit Billy for the comments. I have patience.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WTF? It's been a week and you still have it?!?

Ok, just had to ya know?:D

Only you can do this, Think of what you can do, based on the above suggestions, for little to absolutely no expense. Sometimes it's more than we think. Then step into the least expensed items slowly but surely. There's only one person that's fighting the sale, YOU. You're too close to the task. YOU see everything, YOU know what you can and can't do, YOU know how little you can take or how much it's really worth. Did you check out carsonline? Several sold at your price point with less going for them in my opinion. Strategy, marketing, believe in it...

pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

We'll the good thing, it's only been a week!

theHIGHLANDER and KKrod like this.
  26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thinking I saw this on ebay the other day, No sale?
    I guess I got sidetracked and didnt click on it, It may not have been yours???

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  27. Jibs

Jibs

raprap, now at least you have an idea what the car can bring the way it is. Maybe the high bidder will make you an offer. Good luck.

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

I like your car a lot- you don't paint a half- ass done car with shiny black paint, and yours looks killer.
    I've noticed the market has slowed down in the US- lots of stuff going overseas. I also am a swap meet guy, and the parts aren't out there like they used to be. The INTERNET has changed the game plan.
    Be patient as mentioned- I've heard " there's a nut for every bolt". I'm happy to have been involved in the 60's and in the latest resurgence of this "hot rodding" thing, but like everything else, change is the common denominator. (Too many fast turbo import cars around).
    Good luck with the sale ( or keep it).

29. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for the good words. I'll keep the faith. It would not take much to give it the "look" you all are suggesting. Unbolting the exhaust tips and putting pencil tips and putting a smaller tire in the back would do it. The rear tires are 30" tall! The fronts are 24.5" tall. Does anyone have any small tires I can place on the back? I'll replace the exhaust tips. Come on guys, let's help me out.

patterg2003 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Saturdays Swap Meet time tells me the market is very soft.