Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Is there a problem with the Market Place?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, May 11, 2017.

1. thisguy65

thisguy65

Hey guys this is a little off topic but deals with the market place. Is there anyway to search for only states listing? Say I want to see what's for sale in my state?

2. Chrome tips are okay.... maybe baloney slices or turn downs BUT the same diameter as the pipes, hopefully no bigger than 2.25/2.50".

Nice car, by the way. :cool:

BradinNC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

I think the market is pretty soft right now.

Try selling a hot rod from Canada. It's really easier than you think.
    I have two currently listed here and think it's going to take awhile.

4. putz

putz
    from wisc.

agree with cans and skirts gone , no offends ........

54vicky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

If you don't have the next project yet have you considered adding "partial trades considered" to your ad? Just a suggestion.

6. Toqwik

Toqwik

When I build a car the first thing I think about is am I going to keep it for a long time or will I be ready to sell it not long after finishing it. If it's on the sale side, I build it kinda universal so someone can take it to the next level in their style. Personally, I like 40's chevies, built a 41 I really enjoyed. To me, I do not like skirts, I like some chrome or stainless, and bumpers. If that was mine I would put the chrome hinges back on the trunk and trim on the side. Borrow 2 wheels from a friend, remove the skirts and take some pictures with the other rims, make people think. Right now you are looking for another you. Maybe post some more pictures here and get more ideas. Wish you luck with your sale.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kmrumedy and raprap like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

8. Toqwik

Toqwik

Great point. Went to turkey rod one year with a great friend who took his 66 impala SS to trade. Over the weekend he traded for a T bucket, a 40 Ford pickup, and finally drove a nice 31 Ford roadster home. A lot of time guys in this hobby don't care if they trade up or down and don't mind loosing money to get what they want. I know I'm not in it to make money, just check another build off my list.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bet on black likes this.
  9. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Sent from my P027 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Sent from my P027 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've owned a 40 Chevrolet coupe for 43 yrs spending time drag racing and setting records at Bonneville and El Mirage and if I was looking for one I'm sorry but I would pass on this one at any price. The chopped top doesn't bother me as much as the custom work. Today's trend is defiantly for stock body trim with bumpers too. Other than the painted grille the front is relatively stock and the rear is total custom.
    I'm sure there is a buyer out there who would make make some minor changes to make it there own. It looks like it has a slight rake but with its styling it should be level to 1-2" low in the rear. Hope you sell it and can move on to the next one.

Blues4U, Squablow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

If it were me, I'd consider the enjoyment you've had with the car over the years, bite the bullet, half the price and go down the road. No offense, but its not the type of car thats going to generate a lot of interest.

14. gasser57!

gasser57!

Nice car with simple mods the new owner could do themself. Take it to the Columbus Goodguys Nationals, put your price on it, and it will go. Whether you like their shows or not, a lot of cars get sold at their events. At least they do in Des Moines where I live. Heck, I may even be interested.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

lower the price sell it OBO take the best price and call it dune I just sold a car and am looking for a project truck from 32 33 34 every thing I see is over priced or junk

16. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

If it does not sell before July, I will definitely take it to Columbus Good Guys. I appreciate all the comments about altering the look to make it more appealing. It's virtually impossible to create a look that will be acceptable to everyone. Hopefully the right person will come along. I will probably make a few changes to update it.

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've been monitoring things in the Northeast. The market overall is kinda crazy right now. FORD Coupes and Roadsters are SUPER HOT and the prices have inflated quite a bit across the board. Notaford stuff has cooled off quite a bit in my area but there's still people pricing their stuff as if it's a Ford and sitting on it for months/years. Tudors and Sedans have completely dropped off around here to the point of being cheap all the sudden this Spring also.

clunker and Squablow like this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

This, or a full 1 for 1 trade for something (anything) that is more desirable and easier to sell.
    Just possibly someone is selling a two seater and needs a larger car to accommodate a Child or two, or more road comfort to relieve his aching back.
    Even an unfinished Roadster, primered Tri FiveChevy, etc. would be much easier to unload.
    Parking at Good Guys and other shows is good exposure. Stay with the car and strike up a friendly conversation with anyone giving your car a close look.

Sometimes cars take a long time to sell. There's a saying in real estate, that goes something like "if your house hasn't sold in 90 days, it's overpriced".

Squablow likes this.
  19. LOL I got a sawzall and I'm not afraid to use it. :D

I have had lots of trouble selling anything the last few years. hell I had a primo A radiator that I finally gave to a friend for his project. It was priced @ 150 plus the ride.

I have discovered that anything I sell I have to make the sale happen, and sometimes I just end up trading for something else.

20. Squablow

Squablow

I've got a few to sell, and I sold a couple so far this spring already. I wouldn't say the market is soft, but it's a lot different than it was 10 years ago. Pickup trucks are suddenly the hottest thing going, and as others have said, bumpers and chrome and old timey looks do a lot more to sell a car than the smoothie look. It's not the market overall, just the market for certain cars that is soft.

As said (and no offense meant) it has kind of a confused look. It's got some street rod influence with that interior, stance, big fat tires and smoothed off/painted trim and purple flames, but it's got some custom/taildragger look with the chop, skirts, hopped up 6 cylinder and the wide white sidewalls.

I like the 6, I like the chop and the skirts, but if I bought that, I'd have to add a chrome grille and bumpers, paint over the flames, reverse the rake (lower in the rear), change out the tunneled tail lights, and redo the entire interior. I like chrome steel wheels and wide whites, but not big fat pro-street looking ones in the rear. So I'd be buying it as a pretty major project.

Someone who's into street rods would want to put a big V8 in there, ditch the skirts and probably add some mag wheels or something different there. Finding someone who likes that odd mash of styles is going to be tough, and way tougher at $30K.

21. I was just shopping prices like in the last half an hour, and I am noticing two things. one is yes pickups are going high and the other is that prices are all over the board. I have found that when prices are not consistent people will most likely think that what you ( not you personally) have is over priced when in reality it is priced fair for what is for sale.

I am with you on the car in question, it is a might confused. there are things that I like about it, and things that I don't. That is always a problem buying a finished car isn't it.

22. ............I often refer to cars like that as a "mixed metaphor", just not quite sure which theme is in play.

i.rant and lothianwilly71 like this.
  23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Why I wouldn't buy it:
    1. No bumpers. Could not drive it without worrying I'd mess up the paint. Don't want a trailer queen.
    2. It's black. Summer heat is a killer.
    3. Ugly tail lights
    4. Shifter and exhaust are easy to change but are ugly.
    5. Price is close to double what it should be.
    6. No V8.

Ok, I'm cheap, but as others have said - yeah, you can't build it for that price, but why did it get built bulbous and billet-y at that price? It appeals to a very limited population.

BFC

Baumi and Blues4U like this.
  24. 2935ford

2935ford

Hmmmm, need a little of that "SUPER HOT" to flow a little more to the north! :)

25. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

No Problem. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. It would be pretty boring if all the hotrods looked the same.

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Do you bump or re-list more often than every 11 months on other websites? Bump that sucker every 3 days here!

27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The olde car market is a roller coaster ride that is not for the weak of heart or folks that believe there is money to be made on antiques. I always try to buy autos that I will like for many years and ride the 100 year storm out...IMHO...

28. Jibs

Jibs

Not the way I would have built it, but it is very nice. I would list it on ebay once just to see what the market really is. HAMB is a very limited market especially for this car. I think ebay is still free for the listing, but be sure to have a reserve just in case.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  29. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Yes, I try to bump every week. The forum keeps the original date that i listed it.

30. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks. I might just do that.