Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is there a period MODIFIED thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hey everyone,

I know that there is a modified thread, BUT, I was wondering if there is a modified thread on cars of the era with pictures from the era. Was reading Chip's copy of The Rodder's Journal the other day, and I'm in search of more photos. I've read the "MODIFIEDS only" thread, and some others. I've searched, but, can't find much concerning strictly modifieds of the era.

Thanks.

2. Here's one from Jimmy B a while back; Modifieds as they were

I'd like to see a period or 1940's period correct modified thread!

3. One of my faves; the Dick Megugorac modified - 26-27 T Touring half on a shortened A chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Thanks. If anyone wants to make this the spot for period modifieds, this is as good a spot as any.

Thanks again.

5. Jack Calori modified;

[​IMG]

Don Blair;

[​IMG]

6. Tony Capana;

[​IMG]

Richard Grow;

[​IMG]

7. That Calori car is nearly perfect. I'd just move the axles around a hair, other than that, it's beautiful. I also like the car below the #42 car. The hood, and nose are perfect.

These are EXACTLY what I was looking for man. Thanks so much.

8. Very early T Modified (another Touring front half) [​IMG]

Not sure where I found this one...this little modified is absolutely perfect IMHO

[​IMG]

9. Karl Orr (Rosamond, 1945)
    [​IMG]

Another Orr modified (Harper Dry Lake, 1940)
    [​IMG]

Victor Meleo
    [​IMG]

Yamo Clark
    [​IMG]

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good thread sir! Now that I know you are seriously deranged about this stuff, you need to come over and sit down with my Don Montgomery books for an afternoon.I have the whole collection a plus many more on the subject...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  11. I'll be over with my camera one of these days to take you up on that offer. I would like to look at as many as possible to figure the proportions and axle placement I would like. And yes, I'm certifiable. Done deal, something newer is getting sold to fund this madness.

12. Nothing wrong with being insane about this stuff Bodi. Shoot, I'd love to dig thru need louvers? collection...I wonder how far it is from Houston to Phoenix :)

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bodi, why doncha do this - go through the books and scan the best of the batch and post them here so all can share?

gwhite, the password is about 1400 miles.... Been there done that! Your welcome any time!

14. It was 1600 miles for me, and worth every foot. I've got some stellar hot rod mentors I've lucked in to meeting. If you find yourself in the neighborhood I'll buy you a drink to thank you for the photos.:D

15. That would be a great idea Chip. I was going to take photos of the pictures with my camera. Not ideal, but, works good when it's what you've got.

16. Back to the top for the day crowd. I'd love to see more pictures of modifieds from the days.

Thanks again.

17. bodi, what are you building? I love 40's style modifieds!!

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Poor copy of the Bob de Shields Class B Modified that was good for 139MPH held a lakes record of 136.18.MPH. We need some MODIFIED HISTORY, I personally like a T body on what I think of as a Modified, but many ran custom made "Sprint Car" style cowls with a bobbed rear. Did they run together or was there a different class for T bodies and custom made bodies? Bob

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

As far as I know, in '38 SCTA statrted classifying anything without a tail or turtle deck behind the seat as a modified. Anything else was a modifed roadster. The actual "modified" class was discontinued in about '46 or so.

20. Do you have any more pictures of the top photo?

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice looking T, that is a Franklin front axle on it. Bob [​IMG]

22. Unfortunately, I don't have any more info on the Wallie Shock modified. I know it's a 26-27 T Touring front half on a T chassis with an OHV conversion. Photo was taken at Muroc in 1933.

23. Kinky6

Kinky6

Nice Mod. Copied off the HAMB a while back.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

Attached Files:

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

With the left hand exhaust it may be a BB RAJO equiped T engine. Bob:)

25. Not building anything at the moment. I'm 1600 miles from my shop for now, and don't have much of a facility when I'm down here snowbirding. I'm in parts gathering mode though. I just had my buddy that works at a steel yard pick me up some 2" x 3" tubing, and a couple sheets of 18 gauge. Steel prices are down, and you never know when they will be going up.

I'm planning on doing something full hooded. I'm going nuts over The Art Gerrick modified at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Legion Special was a big inspiration, but, the Gerrick modified has me loving the 3 springer look.

The drivetrain I already have. It's going to be a Chevy 292 I6 with a NV3500 5 speed. The car will be a narrow 2 seater, just enough for me and a VERY petite gal.:D That's funnier if you've met me.:) I'm thinking I can hide the more modern 292 pretty well, and make it a fairly period looking car. For now I'm still looking at photos, and I'm on the hunt for axles, springs, and all that stuff.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. thats real nice

27. alchemy

alchemy

The Garrick car is an inspiration for my current build as well. Looking forward to any more vintage pics you guys can add to this thread.

28. I'd really love to see some hind end shots of the Garrick car. I can't find much on how the rear suspension is laid out.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've got a picture of the back in my stuff... It was a "three springer" car.

volvobrynk likes this.