Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a name for this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Jun 2, 2013.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Other than crazy. I like to take the absolute worst pile of junk and turn it into as near perfect finished project as I can but then when finished I have no more interest in it. Might drive it a half dozen times at the most and then just want to get started on the next hopeless project. Anyone else have this weird disease? The pics of the Olds are of one project that was not even close to being the worst to start with and there is a guy with the handle "Landman" on the AACA site doing a 34 Chevy Master coupe that puts me to shame.

Attached Files:

2. glutten for punishment

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Worth it...that's a 54 "98" convert, very rare AND desireable. Cost as much as the Caddy convert when new. You always see the common 88's, but very rarely a 98.

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

5. blacknblue

blacknblue
    from utah

Is there a name for it? I would say "awesome"! I wish I had that kind of talent.

6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

OCD. but the good kind lol

7. spudz

spudz

look up some of flamedabone's projects. he does the same thing. As soon as its done, he sells it and starts something new!

8. oltruckag

oltruckag

I call it project ADD.

I've got it pretty bad also, but usually get close to finishing a project and start hunting for the next. Start the next, then finally finish the first. And start/finish some smaller projects in between.

9. talent, and the quest to show it off.....

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The Catholics pray to Saint Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

You, Sir, are another patron saint to lost causes.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Beautiful outcome!

But, I have ask.....how and/or where do you source all the missing parts on an economical basis? It would seem that many pieces would be nearly 'unobtanium'.

Ray

12. F&J

F&J

I am very familiar with Landman's 34 coupe. It was his Dads car back in WW2. Junked up side down in a 100 acre field all smashed like a tornado victim... his drive came from family history.

Yours? geez, that is a much more impossible save, due to the difference in the total amount of individual parts, and structural complexity of a 50s conv.

I recently had to stop trying to bring home the 3 legged puppies from the dog pound, as now my body won't allow what my vision can see.

We build our skills with each year of life, and when you finally get all the skills needed, you are screwed pysically.

but, I know of a surface rusted 61 98 conv....and... uh...:D

13. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Whatever the name for it, I suffer from this, malady.
    A short list of my episodes includes a 38 Buick, 56 F750, 41 Ford CO.

Others I have, could considered real worthwhile projects.

I have attempted to resolve my life by swearing off things with wheels, so I restored an ice cream pallor chair, built a visible gas pump and an air pump. These only occupied my mind (and shop) for a few weeks.

<O:p<O:pGlancing around the storage area, I spotted a 1950'S Columbia. That was last week, when the new wheels come in next week that one will be done. (Now I guess I will have to pedal my ass around town for a while)

<O:p<O:pLately I have been checking CL for antique tools to restore, to build new projects with.
    Will I ever rid myself of this dilemma?
    <O:pI can only fear reconstructing my coffin for eternity if they bury me with my tools.

Woe is me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  14. I'd say you're a lucky person to have all the knowledge and talent to do these things. I don't have a hopeless wreak but my lack of knowledge of everything automotive really has put quite a dampener on getting things done in a reasonable amount of time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. some people are builders and some are drivers... building is a lot of the fun..some do not have the talent to build.. they are the guys you sell your finished cars to... it is the circle of a hot rods life..

16. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I'd call it bragging ! :)

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Can I call you friend? with the hopes you might give me a deal on your car you built from scratch to near perfect condition?

18. I just want you to teach me your secrets of magic.

19. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Hell my add is so bad I change my mind every week. Finally starting to finish a few bikes and unload stuff I have absolutely no interest in so I can do the roadster I've wanted for the last 10-15years

20. You are not alone...

My absolute favorite part of this hobby is picking up a derelict project, or other lost cause, and making something out of nothing.

I don't usually take them that far, though.

Once I have turned a non-running, forgotten vehicle into a living, breathing life form, I allow it to chose it's destiny.

I'm more of a paramedic, than a plastic surgeon! ;)

21. That's a pretty funny explanation of your talents.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm the opposite. I can't wait to get something running, then I keep it forever and beat the crap out of it until it ends up about where I started.

23. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Mustang 6147 and Hnstray; I apologize for the slow response to your questions. I had a super clean 1954 98 4dr that furnished most of the needed parts. Also have a lathe, mill, a slew of sheetmetal working machines/tools, and a near by foundry so about any part can be made but the term "economical" sure doesn't apply at times. The car was purchased by and is in Dick's Car Museum in San Marcos, Texas. He also has an even larger museum in Rosanky, Texas and if one is in the neighborhood visiting both is a real treat.

24. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Well said Frank!

25. Maybe you just don't like to clean them when their done .

26. I call it being a glutton for punishment,but if it's what you enjoy go for it! HRP

27. Seriously, it's all about a need to create. I get it.

28. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Well......after reading all that < I feel Perfectly normal....I enjoy the build while planning the next one.

29. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My disease is a little different. The fun for me is taking that hasn't run or been driven for years and hearing it run and drive again. Once I getto the making it pretty stage I tend toloose interest. Maybe make total hatred of block sanding has something to do with that.