Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical is there a good way to have back-up lights on a hot rod???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jul 18, 2018.

1. atch

atch

While perusing the Tag lights thread I saw Bandit Billy's post showing his Lucas (you know, the prince of darkness) tag light that has a back up light built in. So I started googling license plate lights with back-up lights and found out that there are quite a few out there. However, I didn't see any that would work in a recessed tag situation. They were all surface mounted like Bandit Billy's. I didn't ask his permission to use his pic, but here it is:

[​IMG]

Some of us, read that panel truck and sedan delivery drivers, have a hard time seeing out the back and it only gets worse at night. Clarence's license plate is in a recess in the body so Billy's Lucas unit will not work for me.

So the question is: does a combination tag light and back-up light exist out there (that will fit in a recess not much larger than the tag) somewhere that I just haven't found yet?

2. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

I use a "fog" or "driving" light found in the lower valance of late model GM SUV's ....They can be mounted to the rear frame crossmember up under the rear pan & cannot be seen ....Plenty bright & cheap at the local P-a-P.....

fauj, Tim, Blownfuel and 1 other person like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1966: I had a very low black '56 Coupe de Ville that jerks just seemed bent on tailgating.
    Car was flawless, made me nervous driving it. My bud Jack had a pair of Lucas Flamethrowers he had removed from his 426 Plymouth, so I mounted one under the rear bumper, pointing upward about 20 degrees...toggle switch on my steering column, let me tell you how they slammed on their brakes when the 'heat lamp' came on!
    Excellent backup light, too. Dragged it going into John's Drive In, shattered it.
    Jack wouldn't cut loose of the other one...:rolleyes:

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I use VW backup lights. Good quality, Small, chrome from the 60s or 70s. Cheap at the swapmeets

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about a small strip l.e.d. hidden somewhere. I know l.e.d. are not traditional but they are small.

6. evintho

evintho

x2. I've used 'em on a couple of cars. Even as engine compartment lights mounted down low on an OT muscle car.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The back up lights on a C5 plastic fantastic are ugly
    upload_2018-7-18_10-12-39.png
    But I think the idea is what the OP is looking for. I don't think it would take much work to reduce the size of those lights to mere strips along side or mounted actually in the frame itself. An afternoon with the mig and some scrap steel is in order.

BTW, while I was looking for an image to use above, I saw this custom reverse light in a C1 vette, this is awesome
    upload_2018-7-18_10-16-27.png
    This is creative thinking.

chevy57dude, Tim, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I mounted led lights under the rear of my 54 Chevy and I pointed them down slightly. I think they were originally designed to light the floor of a flat bed semi trailer. They work great and the led light is not visible from behind the car. I bought them from the wiring supplies vendor that travels to a lot the nsra and other national events. They were cheap.

I will demo them live for you at the host hotel, the Friday night before the drags.

John

IMG_2274.JPG

9. atch

atch

you're on...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. 1pickup

1pickup

Yes. Pull a U-turn.

11. A Boner

A Boner

Just step on the brake pedal lightly as you are backing up.

rockable and Cosmo49 like this.
  12. BTT

Anyone running back-up lights on their Model A?

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I used a neat looking BU light on my truck that was mounted on a short pedestal like a motorcycle turn signal stalk. I got it at one of those big-rig truck "Chrome Shops" that sells chrome plated everything and 1000 kinds of lights. If you have one near you, a fun place to cruise for parts. Wildwood FL was the closest to me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  14. Some cars came with separate back up lights, some of us like the look others don't.

The '54 Ford's offered them as a option. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic, chevy57dude and gnichols like this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm going to run afoul with the traditional police, but I'm planning to add a rear view camera on my car. I plan on driving it and am lousy with roadmaps so I put in a GPS. Its screen had provision for use as a backup screen, so I'm adding the camera since backing up with that mailslot rear window isn't that great anyhow. The backup camera has a small LED light unit that attaches to the license plate. Back in 1955, there was this lightning strike at the clock tower, so it's O.K.

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same problem Billy has and I'm looking for an answer.

As an aside did you all know that a 1937 license plate is about 1/2" wider than the now standard 6 x 12? I didn't either and would you like to guess when I found out that little bit of information? Larry  (2).jpg

17. Budget36

Budget36

I know it’s not traditional, but I have a pair of tail lights off a Peterbilt, they are about 4 inches by 4.5 inches and take an 1157 on the top, bottom is for BU light, has a clear-ish lens for the BU light.
    I’d imagine there’s something similar in a round, older style looking light?

Then I guess it’s a matter of the lights currently on/in the vehicle

18. ken bogren

ken bogren

Hide an automatic flip down light under/behind the roll pan or bumper.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty easy to hide one in plain site or just plain hidden under the body and have it still work well as a lot of these guys have shown.

this is the placement/ fixture I’m using in the model A sedan. Planning on a bright ass bulb in the clear side for a back up light.
    BBEF71F3-C30C-49F5-9A1F-C0F914C61A72.jpeg A62C6BBD-4223-4CB3-8195-909E36925F60.jpeg 2FAA5574-9455-48F7-A61B-84F1557E90A0.jpeg
    far as I can tell it’s a fender marker light from a 40’s big truck.

these shots show placement. Bent down it’s easy to see. Standing up it’s nearly gone. 45132E0F-0F24-4B41-917F-6AD54666D83A.jpeg 13B4AE0E-B42A-4E70-8919-4A2CB8A5CBF1.jpeg

20. Who cares what you use as long as you can’t see them unless you crawl under the car. Just be sure you have a way to know they are on. Don’t want white light to the rear running down the pike.

21. ken bogren

ken bogren

Actually there was some thought a few (20?) years ago that running with a backup light on while driving down the road made getting rear ended less likely.

Considering what happens to a rear ended hot rod, that might be worth thinking about.

22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

A white light displaying at the rear of the vehicle, when operating on the road is not legal in Arizona. Got pulled over for having the backup lights on in one of my off-topic trucks. Got a "Fix-it" ticket,

seb fontana likes this.
  23. If you have a flat panel and don't mind them projecting a tad for a surface mount, there are usually lots offered on The Bay of Fleas. There's a good mix of old and new. You can search today and then search again in a week and it's like a whole 'nother store with different stock. A blind pig won't find an acorn every time it sniffs, but it will find acorns the more it sniffs.
    I bought these a year or two ago to use someday. Nice quality wiring, connectors, and plenty of weatherstripping; uses blubs that you can change from the outside front so they can be placed anywhere not just where you can get to the back. The lenses are plastic, but are 1/4" thick and look just like glass so they'll pass inspection. (They could use some white paint inside, though. Easily fixed.)

DSCN1820.JPG DSCN1821.JPG

Budget36 likes this.
  24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still a work in progress for a back up light on my '39 p/u. Plan on using a push pull switch attached to the floor shifter just below the shift knob. Similar to a 2 speed rear end switch on a big truck. backuplight1.jpg bulight1.jpg

gnichols, stillrunners and Tim like this.
  25. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

[​IMG]
    Bet you can find somewhere to squeeze this in. 1 3/8" diameter (MR11), 12v, outdoor.
    $8.77 at Home Depot. Dig around for MR11 housings or fixtures. Some look useable. MR16's (2") are easier to find things for.
    [​IMG]
    Mike

26. cfmvw

cfmvw

There is a small round Lucas turn signal with a clear lense that was commonly used on a lot of British cars like the Triumph, pretty sure they were also used on the Cobra. A bright LED bulb in one of those might do the job.

gnichols likes this.
  27. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Front side lamp assembly
    [​IMG]
    This one is Bugeye Sprite. They were used on a bunch of British cars from that era. Mike

gnichols likes this.
  28. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Repop Guide lights originally used on 50's Harley front forks

fullsizeoutput_500.jpeg IMG_3023.JPG

gnichols, mcsfabrication and 61cad like this.
  29. Boatmark

Boatmark

Lots of good surface mount ideas. At the risk of being too modern a part, how about some sort of tiny LED light used as both a light, and a license place fastener. To most people I think they would be unnoticeable. Another idea would be to mount them in the bottom of a bumper guard pointing down, so they were not visible.

30. goldmountain

goldmountain

On my '47 Plymouth, I sunk the license plate into the trunk and mounted a truck cargo light from a 1973 to 1987 Chev pickup above it. Fits the trunk lid contour well. Eventually I will fill it back in and mount the license plate on the rear bumper.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app