Register now to get rid of these ads!

is there a future for proffesional welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DamnYankeesKustoms, Dec 20, 2010.

1. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I am asking this question because I have been debating on going back to college to take two year welding class, or should I continue to try and acquire a job or a career rather, at a company that offers on the job training, (I'm pretty much self taught in oxy and mig welding)

thanks in advance for any advice

2. El Caballo

El Caballo

If you want to weld, and are serious about it, and serious about getting good at it, go to school. I have not run accross anyone in the 20 years I have been in the EPC business who was self taught. Keep in mind that the companies I deal with have a U stamp and in some cases are nuclear qualified (N stamp), so no pikers. Do yourself a favor, get trained up properly. Any sacrifice now will pay off later. I am getting my masters even now, you have to get a resume that is going to attract the right companies to work for.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Seems to me that if you can find a paying job where you can get a paycheck and on the job training too, you'd be ahead. Just my opinion, but you did ask.;)

Bob

4. 1320/150

1320/150

Maybe not a Discovery Channel hot rod shop career,but buildings can't go up without welding. I know the economy isn't the best,but there might be a future for you as welder in the trades!I went the apprenticeship route,and haven't looked back. I am a sheet metal worker,and I have done everything from welding countertops,to hanging 1,000's of feet of duct in the air in one day. A ton of variety,and I get paid alot to practice for my hot rods!!!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. the welder is king!

6. 61bone

61bone

A line welder is going to make 20-30 G a year. A certified is goiing to get 25-45. A rated welder , the skys the limit. Get you schooling and all the ratings you can.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the school is rated high enough yes. Columbia Basin Jr College in Pasco, Wa http://www.columbiabasin.edu/home/index.asp?page=766 has one hell of a welding program that a lot of companies in this area send their new welders to even if they have already gone to another welding school. Before you spend your money find out how prospective employers view graduates from that program.

That aside, there will always be a demand for highly skilled welders in all kinds of jobs be it welding hot rod chassis, welding on heavy equipment or doing specialty welding such as on nuclear equipment and everything in between. It is one skilled job that you can't outsource to India or at least do it very easily.

8. El Caballo

El Caballo

That is where I went to welding school when I worked at Hanford.

9. flthd

flthd

freakin rodburners:)

10. austin514

austin514

i can tell you first hand you can weld or you can`t . 2 weeks and you cant run a good bead your not going too. also welders have VERY bad health your lungs and your head will never be the same after ten years. i done with it!

11. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Go back to college and get yourself a degree. Any degree!!! Around this part of the country the out of work factory workers are going to school to learn to be welders on the taxpayers dollar... Of course the out of work welders are going to school to learn to become nurses... etc. etc. etc.

12. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

does anybody have an opinion of chattanooga state, i have been told that this a reputable college ??

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you got the money and time go to the school,not some shoddy school like Wyotec either,find one where you actually get good instruction,learn to mig,tig and definitely learn how to do stainless and aluminum.If you have the time and not the money go the way of the paycheck and OJT.

14. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

chopt top , thats what i'm affraid of, there is so many people out of work that decided to go back to college, If american industry doesn't pick up, all these people are going to be fighting over very few descent position's, just like the job market is currently

15. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I am a C.W.I and work in the pipeline industry. 98% of the welders that work in the pipeline industry are out of the 798 pipeliners union out of tulsa. They are certified in 1104 and 1107 code. They are not your nuclear welders but make from 150-200k a year if they get in with a good company or get lucky and get called out of the hall. Some also make far less because they don't want to travel. I have been home only 10 days in the last 3 years chasing these jobs. You live either out of a motel or a travel trailer. If you go union you'll have benefits and a retirement. It is not for everyone I understand. I was a pipeline welder myself for 22 years. I went the non-union route and made very good money. There are all types of welders and differant fields. Yes a qualified welding school will help. Time under the hood is the only thing that will get you good at your work. I personally usually don't hire anyone fresh out of trade school. They just don't have the experiance needed to do our work. We make alot of hot tie-ins. Buy you a union book, start as a helper and learn the trade. My .02

16. I say find a specialized field. Wind generators, solar technologies, etc. Learn what's needed and then move in that direction...

17. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I'm allready paying for a "bad" college experience, I researched the college, the college seemed to be respectable, however it was nothing but a show when I went to take a tour,

18. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

It's an employers labor market right now and the welding trades are saturated. Saturated to the point where some of the trade schools around here are dropping the courses altogether and even the State has dropped it from it's job skills training program to re-train displaced workers, even with 15+ % unemployment in some counties . I used to own a fab shop and employ about 20 welders. It's a trade that is very physically demanding, is full of a lot of characters and has a high turn-over rate, in the production job shops anyways. When I retired and closed my shop about 5 years ago, I paid above the area average to attract more stable employees, and I'd say now that the going wage is 30-40% less tha that today. The number of jobs on the production sector will continually erode due to advances in automation. Technician type jobs are available in that area, but are not exactly lucrative careers either. About the only way to make "real" money in the trade any more is to travel to commercial plant work, have specialty skills, or be willing to work at heights. Of course all of that comes with experience.

The secret to happiness in life is to make a living doing what you like to do. I wish I figured that out earlier. If you love welding and think you want to try it as a career, find somebody to teach you how to MIG weld, practice, and then get a local job in a production shop. Do that for a few months and then ask yourself if it's something you want to do the rest of your life.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If I were doing it I'd look into one of the apprenticeship programs. You'll get all the certifications needed, and make a decent living at the same time. You'll also get into a medical and retirement program at the same time. You could go through 2 yrs. of welding classes and still not be where you'd be by going into a metal worker's or iron worker's apprenticeship at the end of that time.

20. thisbugger

thisbugger

Too bad you're not here in socal, there are quite a few schools that have great welding programs. I took quite a few classses and I don't regret taking them. I learned quite a few things that I was never taught out in the field.

21. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello D... Y..... Customs, as an Iron worker for the past 40 years I feel I have some insight in the world of weldeing and what goes on. Training is
    just the begining, however it is very important. After the training there is
    multitude of conditions and circumstances that the welder will face. My Union offers welding training at our private school that an appentice must attend. This training is given in the evenings and Saturdays allowing the student to work full time. Not all students will be come certified welders,
    but will have the basic skills need to operate in the steel environment. The pipefitters also have an excellent program. I work in the nuclear field and our welders are very well paid. In todays world you will very seldom strike an arc without certification. The fact is if you walk into our hall looking for a job and you can demonstrate welding skills you are very likly to be given a chance. It is a harsh ocupation with fumes dust and flashes to contend with. If your are robust enough to hang with it a few years the rewards will come. It has been a very good life for me. Now guys I am not trying to start a union or non union debate, just trying to pass on a little insite.

22. ems customer service

ems customer service

The lincoln electric company has a weldiing school 3 months and out

23. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Thank you for your input and opinions..

24. sawzall

sawzall

I am an teacher.. with connections to industry (because of the content I teach)

everything I hear about here in Philly is that employers are "Hurting" for welders..

I have seen some welding jobs advertised and wonder (based on the salary I see, if that "hurt" is based on the crummy salary that employers are WILLING TO pay.

( Please bear in mind my idea of "low pay" might be skewed because its so expensive to live here)

long story short.. demand exists, but your mileage may vary.

25. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Sawzall, what are welders getting on the arm in your area? I know PA. has got a tremendous gas field that is booming. What are they paying single hand welders? TP

26. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Under water welding is wheres its at. Think oil rigs heh.Big money for sure.

27. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

What TP said. My dad was a 798 welder for 50 years. We lived out of a mobile home until I was 11 years old then mom and us kids stopped the traveling during school and traveled during the summer. When we were traveling, I went to 9 different schools in one year. You will make excellent salary, hardly any time to spend it, and never a permanent home, but I wouldn't take anything for the places I have lived.

28. flthd

flthd

Years ago in NW IN. they needed welders everywhere especially the mills,railyards, my uncle put thirty sumthin years in union tank but this "recession" and free trade put the hurt on everyone around here.You'll have to bring your A game if you want to make good money find a quality apprenticship.I know plenty of welders some are strugglin with respitory problems,I think the future Journeyman will need to be able to touch on everything multitrade.

29. rottenrods

rottenrods

I am a union boilermaker out of local 374. I am a self taught welder. I have certs. in tig ,mig,and stick welding. Most all apprenticeships teach you to weld so you don't have to go to school. There is good money in it and good benifits. I make 100,000 to 130,000 a year. I think boilermakers local 455 is your closest hall,give them a call

30. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

TP's comment sent it home for me. get the certs. and go nuts. Take the travel job if you aren't tied down and bank some cash.

I was offered a job when I was 23 working as a machinist in the union. I was an ase certified auto tech and was with a dealer for just 2 years and turned down the offer cause it involved traveling and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. Too much fun hanging with friends (dumb-ass). My friend that offered the job bought and paid for his home while he was out and about in Venezuela, Brazil, Columbia and a bit in Florida for 3-4 years. All the time he was out there having expenses paid he was banking most of his paychecks. Had his girl take care of the new house and kid and she didn't have to work while he was out. He was able to get home enough to have some balance. He kicked ass then and now he kicks back working a local 9-5 with no worries.

Take the education and run with whatever you can grab.