Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a Deuce "expert" in the house? 3-Window Minutia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Southfork, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Southfork

Southfork

While getting the shop rearranged to make more room for some serious Winter work on my chopped, 50s era, dry-lakes racer (32 3-window coupe), I got to thinking about whether or not Henry Ford (or Murray Body co.) used the same swing arm brackets on all of the Model 18 windshields. So I decided to ask on Fordbarn. The answers I got back were split about 50-50 on whether 3 Windows had swing arm brackets unique to that body style. Does any Hamber know for sure the answer to this very specialized question? Also, are these windshield brackets being repopped? Originals with patina are the first choice, but I can always make new ones look old, I guess, to match the existing patina on the coupe. 'Appreciate any wisdom here.

2. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Three-window windshield slides are unique. The bases are different, since there are threaded bosses that come out of the insides of the three-window's A-pillars. I don't know if they are being reproduced. I'm looking for an original pair for mine.

Dave Mann
    http://www.roadsters.com/

3. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i'm also looking for a pair of original slides for a 5 window if any one has a pair to sell!!

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've got an original '32 body parts catalog and could shoot you the 3W section and the 5W section for comparison. All the facts are there, but are often hard to dig out because the illustrations are inadequate and it's ofte hard to tell WTH some "brace, reinforcement, cowl" thingy might actually be. As a rule. though, since the bodies were made as complete assemblies outside of Ford and obviously weren't required to have any large parts interchangeable with anything else, even the most minor details differ from all other bodies.
    I've also got the '32 book that lists hardware and handles and such.

5. Southfork

Southfork

Bruce, if you see any drawings of the swing arm brackets in you 32 parts catelog, I'd love to see a picture.

You's think by now that somebody would be repopping more of the 3-window parts like these brackets that attach to the inside of the windshield. Maybe they are and I'm just not in the know.