Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is there a car or truck you dream about but eludes you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 29, 2015.

1. I have been building hot rods my entire adult life and have managed to have all kinds of cars & trucks but ever since I was a kid I have wanted a 1950 Ford coupe,I have had the opportunity to buy a coupe several times throughout the years but for one reason or the other I failed to pull the trigger.

The thought has come and gone so many times over the last 50 years it's ridicules.

Why a 50?,I guess because a friends teenage brother had one that I rode in back in the early 60's when I was a kid and I was taken with the look,it's also the year I was born.

So what's the car you dream about? HRP

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Ebert

Ebert

HRP,
    One of my Dad's dueces....have never found either..... Dad and Deuce.jpg Dad\'s Deuce.JPG

hallrods, brandon, volvobrynk and 5 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd still like to have a 57 Buick 4 door hardtop wagon like the one I chased after about 30 years ago. I'm too project poor now to worry about another one though.

I'd have to say that If I ever came up with a pot full of extra cash and the car came up for sale I'd be trying to buy my old 51 Mercury back though.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

19 and 40 Ford Coupe. I own a sorta nice 41 pickup and if I change the trans I can drive it actually.
    But I Jones for the coupe, the truck was bought because at the time, and even now, I couldnot/cannot afford the coupe body style. When the new "Drake to me" body came out, it was like; if I sell this one and that one and maybe the truck, I could not still afford one. And my wife would kill me if I sold the truck, we have had it almost as long as we have been married, 36 years in January.
    Also, I want every other car made but the 40 Coupe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. LOL my unicorn has always been the '57 Ford post car, I have owned hard tops and wagons, even a 312 powered sedan delivery but never a 2 door post and it has been one of my favorite cars forever.

If I had one today I would no doubt have to put an SBC in it. :rolleyes: naw the stock blown police interceptor would have to be my mill of choice. ;)

Set up about like this maybe a little lower but the same rake and cheap wheels.

[​IMG]
    Of course this one only with the bumble bee paint job may fill the bill as well.

[​IMG]

6. I remember that the '57 Ford was Deuce Roadsters dream car. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

I wanted a Duece roadster for the longest time until I converted my stock 29 roadster to a flathead AV8 Hiboy and now well, it fills the bill nicely! :)

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'50 Cad coupe with a 3 speed ...

falconsprint63 likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Every time one of these threads comes up, I get that gut wrench feeling from memories of the one that got away. Behold:

red 62 belair.jpg

In the same Roman Red, 283, 3 on the tree.
    Not that I'd kick an oh nine 4 gear outa bed...

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

A Duesenburg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gc427 and falcongeorge like this.
  11. Two dream cars actually.

#1 - A Henry bodied 27 Track T with genuine Curtis nose, hood & belly pan, with a well built banger.

#2 - A Henry bodied full fendered tall T coupe with a nicely detailed flatty V8.

12. my dream that I am sure will always be out of my range! 39ford43867-5.jpg 939-Ford-4-Door-Phaeton_NEW-400x165.jpg

13. The '34 roadster from "Rebel without a cause". I know the guy that currently rebel.jpg owns it!! Dang!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

A bonafide steel '41 Willys coupe. I tried to buy an original one that was sinking into the ground. This quest started when I was a teenager until my late 30's. The owner, who I had known most of my life, finally told me to never ask about it again. About three years ago, my nephew, who still lives nearby it, says he saw a Willys on a trailer heading out from the owner's place. Guess I should have kept on trying another couple of decades.

chessterd5 likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hahaha, Go big or go home! I like it.:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'64/'65 Corvette coupe.

scotty t likes this.
  17. brad2v

brad2v

Interesting you mention that George. On my way to pick up the kid from work the other day, I'm sitting at a stoplight, and in the cross traffic through the intersection goes a dark-colored (it was 9:00) coupe, American 5 spokes, and F'n LOUD!

18. LOL if I wanted a heavy car it would have to have been a '58/9 Corvette or the original Stingray (1963). But they have never really been my unicorn. I had a friend and business partner when I was young that wanted a vette so bad he could taste it though. I did let a cheap '54 get away from me once though, it needed tires (which I had ) and a top. I was afraid I couldn't raise the money for a top before winter set in, that was a definite Homer moment in my life, I did ride my Harley all winter that year so the top was really a non issue.

DuhOh

homer.png

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, THATS what I'm talking about! Glad to see modified Corvettes making a comeback. Hell in the late sixties early seventies, it was unusual to see a stock C-2 around here.

LongT likes this.
  20. 36 mercedes ssk..........loved it since i seen it on a snap-on wall clock!
    and the chitty chitty bang bang car.......i always thought the flying and floating thing would be handy.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yep Gearge, rare was the bone stock 'Vette in these parts. At least until the factory ripped whatever guts were left in 'em out, era. Those C2 coupes were always on my radar too. I've told before of the $1800 '63 I passed on 'cause I hated that damn split window!:eek::(

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

1936 Supercharged Cord. Nothing like a real vintage hotrod.

23. I have been blessed. I have been able to acquire any car that I have ever wanted if I wanted it bad enough. Being divorced certainly helped, no one to bitch about my hobby. It all depends upon what you are willing to give up to acquire your dream machine.
    I would like to have a 39 Ford Deluxe coupe in original condition but I have decided I don't want it bad enough to give up my other cars and I just don't have room for an additional one.

traffic61 likes this.
  24. Don,I'm kinda in the same boat as you in regards to the lack of space for parking another car but that's just a small problem. HRP

25. tinsled

tinsled

My dream is 1948-9 Oldsmobile 98 Futuramic (fastback) coupe...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The most beautiful coupe ever built, a perfect balance between comfort, performance and vintage.
    Hell, I would be the happiest man even with a couple of years older series 66 or 76 Dynamic, as long as it would the fastback sloped coupe...
    [​IMG]
    I would promise to honor her original drive train, even if it would be the flathead six, just adding every vintage speed accessory I would find and afford.
    Would never ever betray her with any ford, heck not even with buick or cadillac...

Stogy, scotty t, Paul B and 2 others like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There have been a number of cars over the years that I have coveted but there is deffinately one car that has "eluded" me. You may have heard this story before so bear with me.
    My second car in high school was a yellow and white 57 BelAir 2dr. ht. 283/4 speed, so over the years I have always had my radar on for anything 57 Chevy, I even came close to selling mine to buy an original yellow and white 283/3speed 57 Handyman 150 wagon.
    Not sure why this is relevant but my buddy had a yellow 57 4 dr. wagon with a 283/4 speed.
    One day around 2000, I came home from work and sitting in front of my house was a 57 Chevy 150 sedan, a car that I had seen an elderly lady driving around town just two times over a 20 year period.
    In a slight state of shock, I run into the house for my camera, come back outside, take one picture and batteries are dead, run back inside for fresh batteries, com back outside and it's gone, F#@&, never saw it again.
    At least I have this photo.
    20151029_080549.jpg

27. Divorced or not never seemed to have much effect on my finances, well very little. I actually do better financially being married to mrs beaner and she has never had a project problem, now when we were kids and not now. But I think I have a rare situation.

There is no doubt that I could have anything I want of I was willing to drop the cash, well all except that post car. For whatever reason a buildable one has always been like the carrot on the end of the stick.

Denny
    Someone actually gave me a black ( and primer) 150 sedan back in the '90s. Some assembly required but nothing major. No drive train but why would that ever be a problem right?

I never even hauled it home, another friend was looking for one so I called the fella that gave it to me and told him the other guy was picking it up.

Guess I should have kept it but it was not something I was out looking for at the time.

28. Does it count if you actually Own the vehicle('s) and just can't seem to get them built? If so I'm in times 4.
    The Wizzard

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in the 60's I had a white 58 BelAir 2 dr hdtp with a 348 and 4 speed. The original got demolished by the next owner after me but I would take a serious look at owning another like it if one showed up.

30. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Willys, Willys, Willys. Had the chance when I was a teenager too, dad said "don't drag that junk home"

brad2v likes this.