Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is the winter Springfield Swap Meet worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by il Revrunde, Nov 13, 2009.

1. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

I've been to the other Springfield Swaps throughout the years, but I never make it to the last one of the season. Now as luck would have it, I've missed all this year and have a few hours to make it to the one this weekend. Is it worth the 50 mile trek? Or would I be better off catching up on some way overdue sleep?:rolleyes:

2. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

sorry to have a dumb question but are we talking springfield mass?

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Springfield Ohio Cars and Parts?? When is it?? Might be in the area...

4. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Its this weekend 14-15th. And sorry, Springfield, Ohio

5. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Never been to the Winter meet. But cutting across 5th Ave to Riverside Dr and then across Fishinger Rd to 270 to 70 West for 30 minutes is not that big a deal. You'll never know, you might find the one part you need most.

6. chris55

chris55

Yes Springfield Ohio cars and parts, its this weekend Sat.Nov.14 from 8-5 & Sun. Nov.15 8-4. With the way the weather has been, might be good this year.

7. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Haha. I live on 33 so, I just have to drive around the block to get to 670W. Its the wifes pit stops that make it a long trip....lol

8. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

I used to patrol that area north of 5th Ave.

9. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

U.A.? C-bus? or The always friendly(strong sarcasm) Perry Twp?:p

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

To be honest its probably not worth traveling a long distance to attend so I wont be going even though I am only 25 miles from it,if it was not for seeing people I have not seen all winter I would not attend the spring event as I usually never find anything I need. I have better luck finding parts at the junkyards I frequent then at the swapmeets I attend so I might stop attending them,if you have a mustang,camaro,tri 5 chevy or late model truck you might be able to find something there.

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I beg your pardon...My buddies have 3 truckloads of good stuff we're taking..
    From Hemi stuff to early Ford Tranny's...
    You never know what you'll find if you don't go........

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

They're all worth going to........

13. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

I think imma go. If nothing else, I get to wander through and b.s. for awhile and not be at work. Plus, I have a few ideas I want to research. It is what it is.

14. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

It will be a good one cause the wheather,They are like everyone else money grubbers,they are about to price themselves out of the swap meet game $70 bucks to park a car for sale.It is getting to the point of total dis-respect.You would think as much money they made off us over the years they would give something back in these times.They should be stand up people That also goes for NSRA,GOOD-GUYS I for one am to the point of making it a point not partake in there shows on principle.There are allot of shows and some good ones that are put on by stand up people.

15. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I spoke with a guy in setup and he said there has been a lot of interest in this year's show so he expects it to be a good one. With the temp in the upper 60's and sunny I could understand. As well, I have been told prices are on the downside at shows this year from the economy so the potential for a deal is probably there.
    All these shows are a hassle until you go through the effort to get there and then they turn out to be a worthwhile event. Just my two cents.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to the junkyard today as I know they have what I am looking for and it does not cost anything to get in,every time I come back from one of those swapmeets in Springfield I am bitching about not finding anything so I am going to where the parts I want are and its not there.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Came back from the junkyard with most of the parts needed and doubt I would of found them there,its a good swapmeet if you have a chevy but if you like the oddball crap like me its not worth going to. Its probably like most swapmeets now that its filling up with mostly latemodel parts and there are some vendors with old stuff but its never what I am looking for,I am getting spoiled buying parts off the internet if it cant be found locally but as my name says I like the junkyards better.

18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I guess you need parts for a SIMCA??, Citreon....
    I sold Hemi, Olds, Ford, Chevy, Intakes to wishbones...Our place was Hoppin from 7-2
    Good crowd, Made good $$, got the shit out of the garage

19. Algon

Algon

I guess Spoons sold out of the good stuff before I got there...:D
    It only took about half an hour to lap the whole meet. :D I drove three hours and the only thing worth looking twice at was a single Fenton flatty head and a nice pair of used 15x4 Cragers I should have bought.:rolleyes: The guy with all the early Falcon stuff was there. Otherwise a good selection of overpriced rat quality parts-projects, Earl Scheib street rods and 70s-80s up misc parts if that is what your into. Then getting popped by a worthless pig while going 5 over trying to pass some cunt talking on the phone and swerving both lanes added to the day. I guess I was the bigger safety threat :D. I should have stayed home and worked on the car but my boy had fun so it wasn't all bad.

For future reference, though its past being last weekend, the Stark county winter meet is about 3 times the size of this. There is a large amount of circle tracker stuff to wade through but at least there is generally some vintage tin and speed parts present. I didn't see any magnesium at Springfield...:D

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Did you have any parts for a 70 torino?,thats what I was looking for and found what I needed at the junkyard. There was a couple Simcas and a Citreon too plus a few later Anglias and Divcos,a Fiat biancini(dont know the correct spelling) and some Renault dalphines were among the stuff there.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Well did anyone find anything they could use.

22. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

I got a gauge set that was clearanced from the store I work for, that I missed when we blew them out. Other than that, It was a wash. unless you wanted sbc intakes. and rally wheels:rolleyes:

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think alot of swapmeets are not doing too well right now,there was a big one in Indy that really needed two days to go through but this year I was done in less then 3 hours.

24. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Saturday wasn`t bad. I sold my `31 Sedan body and a lot of First Design truck parts. Found a new `32 style dash for my other sedan ($25)and a new fuel tank for the roadster.($80) Just had to wade through all of it to find the good stuff. Not many vendors left Sunday.
    Gotta go look at all of them if they`re close.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I dont think I found one part from that swapmeet in the last 3 years so I am about ready to give up on it and just go to hershey or carlisle instead of all the smaller local events,I dont need much for my projects but could not find anyone with a 216 chevy side cover in any swapmeet for over a year so I grabbed one from the junkyard. All I hear when I asked was I got one at home which did me no good so next year its going to be one of the real big swapmeets and nothing else.